Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

I cry because the people around me have lost their loved one and are in pain. Why do you cry? I am curious why people cry or grieve over the dead

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

pree10shun wrote:
I cry because the people around me have lost their loved one and are in pain. Why do you cry? I am curious why people cry or grieve over the dead

Could it be that they love and miss the person who died and they will never see him/her again?

ruveyn

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

ruveyn wrote:
pree10shun wrote:

Could it be that they love and miss the person who died and they will never see him/her again?

ruveyn

Does that mean they are crying for themselves or for the dead?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

pree10shun wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
pree10shun wrote:

ruveyn

Does that mean they are crying for themselves or for the dead?

both.

ruveyn

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

And why do they cry for the dead?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

pree10shun wrote:
And why do they cry for the dead?

Probably because at the time of the tears they cannot quite accept that the departed is finally and truly gone. It takes a while for it to sink in. Also the emotional shock of the death has unhinged the mourner to some extent. That is why it takes weeks or even months for the grief to subside.

You must realized that humans are slaves to their passions and emotions and are not fully guided by reason.

ruveyn

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

Yeah so they are crying for themselves because they lost someone who was close to them.. self-pity?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

pree10shun wrote:
Yeah so they are crying for themselves because they lost someone who was close to them.. self-pity?

No. It is called being a human being. We are genetically wired to behave that way, or most of us are.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

John 11 is relevant, specifically:

Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. 35Jesus wept. 36Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!

---------------

I can't say what I think is the reason for Jesus' emotion here without Sand buzzard spewing.

I cannot speak for most of mankind with even that degree of assurance.

I can speak for myself, and for Herself, and for Number 1 Son, whose minds and reactions are familiar to me.

We are two-edged beings, with a physical component in the Kosmos and an associated soul [not going to define it here, take it or leave it] which is mostly outside.

The physical is racked with hormones and its limited intelligence knows nothing but HERE and the body's needs and wants. The soul has a different intelligence and very different emotions.

When last Saturday Simone died / left here - body and soul parting company - our physical reaction was mixed joy at the end of great strain and anger / fear / grief at the awareness of death and separation. Memories - positive and negative - were stirred up. The result was a mixture of pain, relief and anger - all of which elicited tears.

Our souls were similarly aware that Simone had moved to the outside - and we are for whatever time stuck here. The outcome rather bittersweet, and inclined not to counteract the tearing. Though at those points where the soul attitudes are dominant tears are less likely.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

Philologos wrote:
The physical is racked with hormones and its limited intelligence knows nothing but HERE and the body's needs and wants. The soul has a different intelligence and very different emotions.

Makes sense.

Philologos wrote:
When last Saturday Simone died / left here - body and soul parting company - our physical reaction was mixed joy at the end of great strain and anger / fear / grief at the awareness of death and separation. Memories - positive and negative - were stirred up. The result was a mixture of pain, relief and anger - all of which elicited tears.

Our souls were similarly aware that Simone had moved to the outside - and we are for whatever time stuck here. The outcome rather bittersweet, and inclined not to counteract the tearing. Though at those points where the soul attitudes are dominant tears are less likely.

So that's a mixture of self pity, selfishness and happiness for the dead.

Last edited by pree10shun on 07 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Pretty much - we are multifaceted and conflicted beings.

And there can be shock. Years ago in the middle of the teaching day I heard a good friend had died unexpectedly. I had not seen him for years so it was not that big a loss, but with the schock I could not teach the rest of my classes.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

for yourself - because you're being forever separated.

for the dead - because death is the ultimate and undeserved punishment.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

I think it can be for a few reasons.

1) They in fact, just miss the person and feel the loss of their company and presence
2) They fear their own death sub-consciously
3) Society tells them they are supposed to be sad if a relative or friend dies, so they are
4) They have regrets or things that they never finished with that person

and if the person is young, they cry for the tragedy of the loss of who that person might have become.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

The tears lubricate the water slide to hell. It's a way to get them into hell faster.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

anna-banana wrote:
for yourself - because you're being forever separated.

for the dead - because death is the ultimate and undeserved punishment.

Why do you see it as punishment? We are dying from the instant we are conceived. It is thermodynamics in action.

ruveyn

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

I never use to cry at death until I lost the few people whom I was very close to. Death is the ultimate goodbye forever. Just to be alive and know that I will never see these people again is pain in itself.