Are you a picky eater? Questions about food and AS

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2011, 7:52 am

I have aversions to many foods. I find most meals cooked by my parents bland or unpalatable, except for a few favourite dishes. Many nights I refuse to eat what is being cooked and make my own dish. My most recent aversion is the new tomato sauce/ketchup introduced by McDonalds in Australia. For at least 14 years I have had a nugget meal with ketchup sauce when I eat at McDonalds, but they (or Heinz) have replaced it was some watery and foul-tasting alternative. The previous one had at least 60% tomato content; this one has only 20%. I bought a portable bottle of tomato sauce to take with me in my bag. Sometimes I'll annoy another store for some sauce packets.

I dislike the following things:

Sarsaparilla (smell makes me nauseous; taste makes me vomit)
Jelly beans (smell makes me nauseous)
Aniseed liquorice (smell makes me nauseous)
Dr. Pepper (smell makes me nauseous)
Coffee (smell makes me nauseous)
Chocolate (except for white if savoured)
Butter and its alternatives
Most vegetables
The thin parts of lettuce (I like the juicier part closer to the core)
Spinach
Non-cooked tomato
Most thick, savoury liquids
Any liquid with solids floating in it (soup, crunchy milkshakes)
Certain types of oils (makes me sick)
Cheese (I don't mind it when melted on top of something, but not when gooey or mixed in with sauces)
Mexican, Indian, and Asian (I know India is in Asia) foods
Sickly sweet foods (I don't mind moderately sugared foods)
Egg white
All alcoholic beverages
Diet (artificially sweetened) beverages

Etc.

I'll have periods where I eat the same meal for months on end until I move onto something new. My current meal of choice (to the detriment of my health) is chip (fries) sandwiches. My previous one was a fairly healthy pizza cooked on puff pastry.

IggySentMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

Definitely for me. I tend to eat slowly in my meals and take my time and always eat a variety of food each meal and systematically do so in a certain order. Some foods that have an intense taste and are eaten at a certain time of day make me gag.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 10:14 pm

no brand preferences

no random aversions, thus far. that i know of. on the other hand, it could also be that there were so many brand aversions, that i could not pay attention to any of them.

love chocolate, white chocolate
vegetables: jalepinos, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, peas, corn, carrots
cheddar, alfredo, mozzarella
scrambled eggs ok
grilled chicken ok
love peanut butter, from the can, or in malt balls, or peanut butter clif bars, and et cetera
cheese cake ok, a little dense
once in a while, some meat ok. just not a lot
tofu delicious
in sushi, tuna and salmon and eel ok
pie ok
cake ok
chocolate chip cookie, white chocolate chip cookie, etc

questor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 6:24 am

Yes, I've always been somewhat of a picky eater, but I am in my late 50s now, and live alone, so most of the time I am not hassled about it by my relatives now that I live alone. Yet another reason to live alone.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:29 am

That was a big thread bump and a good one.

I wish I liked nuts as they are excellent for a snack but they just make me feel sick.
Peppermint, spearmint and aniseed, the same.
I wish I liked mushrooms, I would probably give up meat if I did as mushrooms are "meat for vegetarians".

I prefer a bland diet as I'm sensitive to the taste of foods. I saw some people previously in this thread like to put hot sauce on things just so they can taste it. I'm the opposite.