Page 18 of 20 [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

In Reviewing the New "Autism Speaks" Website:
It is evident that they are evolving in a positive direction in response to input from the Autistic Community. 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
There is no change that I can see. 70%  70%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 33

ci
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
Gedrene, ci, play nice. No one likes extinguishing a flame war.

You will have to excuse me but if you look closely Roxas (and I appreciate that would require a mountain of fortitude, it sure has for me) you'll find very clearly why I am getting annoyed.

You are annoyed because you have to be right and want to inflict upon others with put downs until you get your way. I do have a private forum we could take this to and if you need the public attention in your words you can provide a link so others from here to see. It won't be tolerated for much longer on this forum and I am surprised your attempts to get some of my posts locked have yet to work.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

ci wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
You are annoyed because you have to be right and want to inflict upon others with put downs until you get your way. I do have a private forum we could take this to and if you need the public attention in your words you can provide a link so others from here to see. It won't be tolerated for much longer on this forum and I am surprised your attempts to get some of my posts locked have yet to work.

I haven't tried to lock your posts. That's a lie. I have wanted you warned for slander against me. I can take insults, but saying that I am just striving to be right was made up just on the spot so you can somehow seem better than me. I don't want to fight with you on your forum. Stop trying to pick fights with me.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

The slander hypo-bull and mellow drama does little to justify the obvious guilt on your end for what you accuse others of doing when you in the same context do. It is quite frankly lying to yourself and I don't take it seriously. If you can be honest with yourself you then can expect to have some beginnings of a self-integrity socially.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

ci wrote:
The slander hypo-bull and mellow drama does little to justify the obvious guilt on your end for what you accuse others of doing when you in the same context do. It is quite frankly lying to yourself and I don't take it seriously. If you can be honest with yourself I then can expect to have some beginnings of a self-integrity.

You're just saying what I said about you earlier.... The difference is that I actually had quotes explaining why you are what you are. You just make up a load of fresh rubbish each post.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

You have got some issues Mr. G. You have no room to judge especially being guilty in the same context.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Gedrene wrote:
No amount of research and pity is going to alter the fact that nothing is going to help this cause any better than some sincere self-belief.

Self Belief and Support are both real needs in the world of disability. Not everyone with traits of autism is disabled, in fact research suggests that thirty percent of the population has at least one trait of Autism. Perhaps people see you as a little odd, and all you need is self belief and determination to get by in life. There aren't too many perfect people in the world, not that I can recall, so everyone has to believe in themselves, when others don't, to get by.

While selfbelief helps it doesn't solve the problems of those that need support in life, because of disabling conditions they can't control by themselves. That is the case in hundreds of thousands of people debilitated by symptoms of Autism, like not being able to speak at all. Apparently your self belief helps you, but that alone does not allow some the ability to speak, because they are inherently disabled.

Anyone can become permanently disabled at any time because of a thousand different medical reasons; some symptoms of autism along with potential co-morbid conditions result in permanent disability like a thousand other different conditions cause it.

For a person that is permanently disabled and cannot work, the only answer for survival is support. If research leads to better treatment and less disabling symptoms, one may have the opportunity for a degree of self support in life.

Research has led us to the treatment available now, and it is bringing new methods to detect autism earlier, and provide earlier intervention. These things may seem small, but they could mean the difference between adaptation and self support or total dependence.

I never received any treatment for autism in my life; self belief was what saved me, but I have been around enough people with more severe forms of autism, to completely understand that self-belief is not enough to get by for all people. Do you really think that self-belief, by itself, is going to allow those with Kanner's type autism to support themselves in life?

If you are ever one of millions of people that become permanently disabled, with no fault of your own; you will quickly understand how fortunate you are, if you can find support to live.

We are suggesting here that the support is important and worthwhile for others that need it; no one is suggesting that one should not believe in themselves.

There is no pity here, just compassion and and an understanding of the reality that some people need support from others to survive in life. That's reality.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

aghogday wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
No amount of research and pity is going to alter the fact that nothing is going to help this cause any better than some sincere self-belief.

Self Belief and Support are both real needs in the world of disability. Not everyone with traits of autism is disabled, in fact research suggests that thirty percent of the population has at least one trait of Autism. Perhaps people see you as a little odd, and all you need is self belief and determination to get by in life. There aren't too many perfect people in the world, not that I can recall, so everyone has to believe in themselves, when others don't, to get by.

While selfbelief helps it doesn't solve the problems of those that need support in life, because of disabling conditions they can't control by themselves. That is the case in hundreds of thousands of people debilitated by symptoms of Autism, like not being able to speak at all. Apparently your self belief helps you, but that alone does not allow some the ability to speak, because they are inherently disabled.

Anyone can become permanently disabled at any time because of a thousand different medical reasons; some symptoms of autism along with potential co-morbid conditions result in permanent disability like a thousand other different conditions cause it.

For a person that is permanently disabled and cannot work, the only answer for survival is support. If research leads to better treatment and less disabling symptoms, one may have the opportunity for a degree of self support in life.

Research has led us to the treatment available now, and it is bringing new methods to detect autism earlier, and provide earlier intervention. These things may seem small, but they could mean the difference between adaptation and self support or total dependence.

I never received any treatment for autism in my life; self belief was what saved me, but I have been around enough people with more severe forms of autism, to completely understand that self-belief is not enough to get by for all people. Do you really think that self-belief, by itself, is going to allow those with Kanner's type autism to support themselves in life?

If you are ever one of millions of people that become permanently disabled, with no fault of your own; you will quickly understand how fortunate you are, if you can find support to live.

We are suggesting here that the support is important and worthwhile for others that need it; no one is suggesting that one should not believe in themselves.

There is no pity here, just compassion and and an understanding of the reality that some people need support from others to survive in life. That's reality.

Look, you completely didn't get what I said. I said that people like me who actually believe in themselves wont need the help of autsm speaks. Also despite all of your theory your organisation has failed to show any sort of understanding of who actually needs help and who doesn't. Autism speaks has simply tarred us all under the same brush of 'broken'.

It was said that Autism Speaks once brought out a case on a little girl because she made a parody site and ever since that episode autism speaks has been defined by the same banal issues: Inability for autistics to actually 'speak' at your discussions, the blocking of completely capable people like me from actually important parts of the organisation not to mention and I can bring out more cases if you want.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Look, you completely didn't get what I said. I said that people like me who actually believe in themselves wont need the help of autsm speaks. Also despite all of your theory your organisation has failed to show any sort of understanding of who actually needs help and who doesn't. Autism speaks has simply tarred us all under the same brush of 'broken'.

It was said that Autism Speaks once brought out a case on a little girl because she made a parody site and ever since that episode autism speaks has been defined by the same banal issues: Inability for autistics to actually 'speak' at your discussions, the blocking of completely capable people like me from actually important parts of the organisation not to mention and I can bring out more cases if you want.

Actually you didn't clarify people like you in the statment you made that I responded to, you stated : "No amount of research and pity is going to alter the fact that nothing is going to help this cause any better than some sincere self-belief". The cause isn't just about people like you, I'm not sure how else I could have interpreted your statement, but I will accept your clarification now of what you meant.

I've clearly stated that I'm not part of Autism speaks, please don't suggest that I am part it by stating that autism speaks organizational discussions are my discussions.

I've also, clearly stated my position to suggest that people offer constructive criticism to improve the organization, that is a suggestion to improve the organization to better meet the needs of autistic people that need help, if one cares to go to the trouble to do it. It doesn't mean that anyone needs to like, or support what the organization currently does.

The topic discussion is, is the organization changing for the positive in response to Autistic Input, that is a subjective discussion of opinion, and regardless of one's opinion on it, it doesn't prevent one from providing additional input for positive improvement in the organization.

Much of the stuff we're talking about here is the general needs of what Autistic people will need in the future, in relation to what Autism Speaks, the government, and other organizations might do to improve their mission to meet those needs, and what we can do to help that effort.

That's an open discussion, but it's not strictly about high functioning autism, it is about the whole spectrum. The majority of people with Autism are diagnosed by psychological professionals because they have problems and need help.

It is wonderful that you don't need help; that leaves a great deal of room for you to help others, if that is what you desire to do.

Since you aren't disabled by Autism, you may not need Autism research, but others benefit from it; it has been funded for decades by many other sources than Autism Speaks, and will likely be researched worldwide through the distant future, if funds are available and the need is seen, through many other souces other than Autism Speaks. Some support autism research some don't, that's a difference of opinion influenced by knowledge and personal experience.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm

Autism Unite;

Could be a Global slogan.

In terms of Activism, we share more in common with each other, than does the NT communities that we live in. Everyone is positioned in their respective views. This is the nature of society, which I think all on the spectrum will agree.

Our difference is what makes us unique individuals. We have to possess a greater attitude of mind- if we are going to facilitate change for the betterment of our communities.

Personal politics is a dead end game, we should rightly put principles before our politics- if we are to live in a positive way.

All my very best to you!

Ps. Seek wisdom in this regard.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 1:38 am

Art-sung wrote:
Autism Unite;

Could be a Global slogan.

In terms of Activism, we share more in common with each other, than does the NT communities that we live in. Everyone is positioned in their respective views. This is the nature of society, which I think all on the spectrum will agree.

Our difference is what makes us unique individuals. We have to possess a greater attitude of mind- if we are going to facilitate change for the betterment of our communities.

Personal politics is a dead end game, we should rightly put principles before our politics- if we are to live in a positive way.

All my very best to you!

Ps. Seek wisdom in this regard.

Everyone is unique throughout the spectrum of human, and all are subject to similiar strengths and weaknesses. Autistic people are no more immune to this than anyone else. At least not from I have experienced in the spectrum of human. An us vs them mentality, rarely leads to common ground, but it is part of human nature that few rarely escape from, regardless of their best intentions.

The evidence is everywhere, here on this site, that Autistic people share behavioral traits, but individual spirits are as different among those here, as they are in any population of humans.

NT is an interesting construct, at most a political illusion; part of the us vs them mentality found in the entire human population. None of us are exempt from being human.

Behavioral differences shared by some, but spirits shared by few, makes Autism Unite, no more likely than humans unite. A common cause to fight against, instead of fighting for, is what we normally see as uniting humans, it's part of nature, that few escape from as well.

A similiar attitude of mind is found within individuals, when they share a common fight, but a greater attitude of mind is rare among groups, unless they seek the same englightenment. I've seen it in practices that shun none, but I can't say I've seen another group effort that can create this greater attitude of mind.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 1:48 am

I have found that there can be a strong unity around helping others where there is no prominent and central political identity or affiliation other then helping. I had a few phone calls from the twitter and one was a person with autism who had original speech delay that was quite severe His goal is to do fundraising and supply adaptive speech devises because he knows how it is and want's to help. I told him my goals were for inclusion whereas another individual is mostly excluded. So we are to do a phone meeting about working together. This desire of helping others and relating to those whom we help is a strong driving force of social, economic and creative synergy. One that if manifested among sincere and dedicated individuals in a growing mass more focused on the helping then any kind of risk with ideological disputes but enabling the helping would be a genuine, productive and decisive unity based upon a central principle of compassionate resolutions and innovations.

That kind of unity would be a magical changing causation to move mountains with.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 2:56 am

To be clear in our logic is the best practice.

It is only logic that speaks it's words of wisdom to us.

It is logical that we focus on being together, together!

We do not need to fight against NT's they are our own family, and dear friends.

NT is a mind which does not possess neuro-diversity. People with ASD are known to present neuro-difference.

Hence it's clasification as neuro-developmental. Other parts of the brain experience hyper-growth whereas others do not. This is difference in the classic sense of the word.

Where I made my suggestion, is in terms of attitude.

I personally do not see the difference in colour, nor gender. Further I do not see the difference in conceptual positions. All are just constructs of the mind.

We can go beyond this as we see our world through new eyes. We can be a voice of reason in contrast to the static of the modern One-World culture.

We possess the power to question the dominant, and position ourselves, with our intellect, as moderators in social equity.

Why use our mental horse power to berate each other. This mind of ours is precious, every experience we have in our life is through our mind.
Everything rests on the tip of our motivation.

Why should we do this? Because we are human, and that means we can be humane, its just a simple choice.

Please post any comments about me freely, do not hold back.

Thank you sincerely for reading my post.

Ps. My grandfather once said to me. "If we were all the same we would live in the same house on the same street". Although this is not so logical it does possess an understanding of the human nature.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:04 am

The autism Buddha? That is a compliment.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 5:47 am

All my very best to you!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

Art-sung wrote:
To be clear in our logic is the best practice.

It is only logic that speaks it's words of wisdom to us.

It is logical that we focus on being together, together!

We do not need to fight against NT's they are our own family, and dear friends.

NT is a mind which does not possess neuro-diversity. People with ASD are known to present neuro-difference.

Hence it's clasification as neuro-developmental. Other parts of the brain experience hyper-growth whereas others do not. This is difference in the classic sense of the word.

Where I made my suggestion, is in terms of attitude.

I personally do not see the difference in colour, nor gender. Further I do not see the difference in conceptual positions. All are just constructs of the mind.

We can go beyond this as we see our world through new eyes. We can be a voice of reason in contrast to the static of the modern One-World culture.

We possess the power to question the dominant, and position ourselves, with our intellect, as moderators in social equity.

Why use our mental horse power to berate each other. This mind of ours is precious, every experience we have in our life is through our mind.
Everything rests on the tip of our motivation.

Why should we do this? Because we are human, and that means we can be humane, its just a simple choice.

Please post any comments about me freely, do not hold back.

Thank you sincerely for reading my post.

Ps. My grandfather once said to me. "If we were all the same we would live in the same house on the same street". Although this is not so logical it does possess an understanding of the human nature.

There is evidence of neuro difference within the population diagnosed with ASD's, and there is evidence that neuro differences exist in the rest of the population to degrees as well. We are blessed with more neuro difference than others, but there is no evidence of neuro sameness in any particular group of humans; therefore at most it is a construct of the mind that we use to separate ourselves from others. Neuro differences exist throughout the human population

It may seem like a simple description of semantics, but the mental construct of neurotypical has assisted an emotional us vs them ideology, that leads to what I have seen as unecessary hatred. We have been issued a label based on neurological differences which vary much among those that have that label. To issue everyone else a label of neuro sameness, in my opinion, does not meet logic, but the emotion of us vs. them.

The expression NT is used more often to berate others, than as one of acceptance of others; we cannot expect acceptance if we don't do everything in our power to accept others for their differences instead of focusing on a mental construct that they are all the same and don't share our differences. Many do, all they lack is diagnosis.

Human decisions, logic, and motivation for the most part are based on emotion. As you visit here longer, it becomes apparent that the logic of Autistic people is based on emotion as many others that we come into contact with in life. Without emotion decision is not possible for a human being, we may have less emotion or not understand it as well, but if we make decisions in life, we can't fully escape it.

We berate others for the same reason as any other human being, because of emotion.

Rigid thinking is part of our neurodifference, and a part of the neurodifference of many without an ASD diagnosis. While we sometimes can't see it in ourselves, it makes it harder to understand both those among us and those we see as against us. The emotion related to it is often anger. I am immune to none of this, but try to accept and adapt to it as well as I can.

There are many out there in society, that have no idea they have a similar neurodifference as those that have been diagnosed with ASD; they are likely among those making many of the decisions they see as logical that some of us may not agree with our particular reasoning on the issues that concern us.

The judges, the lawyers, are strong among a similiar neurodifference seeking fact and the illusion of black and white that some seek in life.

Part of the logical process that relates to humane, is reviewing our decisions, and determing how much is determined by the correct kind of emotion. Up to 85% of people with Aspergers suffer from alexithymia, and do not understand their emotions fully.

Many times we berate others, with no understanding that is what we are doing. Another part of our neurodifference that others share as well in the general population. It's far from simple for many autistic people, to refrain from berating others, when at times they don't understand they are even doing it.

In spending time here, I see us doing it to each other, but I also see it in myself the many times I have done it in my life, having no understanding that this was the effect I was having on others. It is enlightening being part of the discussions here. We can learn much about ourselves in an opportunity to observe the behavior of many like us in one place.

Logical understanding has it's merit, but it often does not yield to others.

Your positive spirit, and intellect, is a welcome addition here. I see only positive intent in everything you have said. I sincerely respect that and offer what I think I have learned, from my visits here, in as an objective way as I can.

Your soul seems light, I've been there, it is a good place to be.

Art-sung
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

Hello Aghogday,

Thank you for your post.

Yes there is diversity. If people are lost because of their condition it is compassionate to provide a harbour in which they can find acceptance. This is what Wrong Planet is all about. Alex has developed such a harbour.

When the stormy waves of emotion take us, it is reassuring that we have a peaceful place to meet and share our situation with each other.

So, as there is diversity, we can accept each other regardless of personal views, that is just a given [diversity].

We can share with each other that we have experienced non-acceptance from other people. This may be a painful experience, often coupled with confused emotions.

We wish to be heard. We would like to have a voice that is accepted and appreciated.

We can live in the open spirit of acceptance.

I will say a little bit from my side. I see the details first before I get the gestalt. This is apparent in my paintings.
It is a cognative process. Other people see the whole first and then on further reflection see more and more detail. I am just not like that.

Because of my difference I have experienced discrimination from an early age. Am I angy about this, not any more, as I have developed a voice [and life is to short].

Will I ever be so-called "normal" in this regard-no, will I have fulfilling relationships with other people- yes.
It is all possible.

Thank you for your resolution.

Please post again.

All my very best to you, sincerely!