Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 4:38 am

LostUndergrad9090 wrote:
I dont know, I feel like being hypocritical is not a personality trait at all. People have a lot of dimensions to themselves so one person could interpret something as being hypocritical but in reality it is not. People do and say certain things for a reason and if you can see that and understand it then the thought of a person being hypocritical will not be there. Its an idiot notion really. But it can be used as a weapon in many scenarios, which can be BS and can not be. If you know how to deal with it then it is not, if you can't then it is.

I really don't get what you mean.

To me, hypocrisy is verbally attacking someone, but condemning someone's character when they do it to you. It's getting up in someone's face about something, then doing the same thing in the future. It's taking your room mate's cologne without asking, then raising hell-fire when they use a little of your shaving cream. It's people demanding to be treated with courtesy, then going through life being just crude. It's violating someone, then getting defensive when they retaliate. If I call them out on it, they either deny it, or explain why their behavior wasn't really so bad in comparison to mine, while in reality it's sometimes much worse.

It comes down to "I can but you can't." And it's just everywhere! And it gets old. :o

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 7:21 am

yeah I was thinking something totally different then that.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

BECAUSE THEY BREED LIKE RATS!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, think about it.

Kids learn much from watching their parents. Yes, all parents mess up, but it's important for parents to set a consistent example. If you tell kids to do one thing then do the opposite, what are you teaching them?

My dad insisted on doing things honestly, but every now and then he would do stuff I had issues with....such as buy something, use it, then return it because he'd never need it again and didn't want to keep it. That struck me as dishonest.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
LostUndergrad9090 wrote:
I dont know, I feel like being hypocritical is not a personality trait at all. People have a lot of dimensions to themselves so one person could interpret something as being hypocritical but in reality it is not. People do and say certain things for a reason and if you can see that and understand it then the thought of a person being hypocritical will not be there. Its an idiot notion really. But it can be used as a weapon in many scenarios, which can be BS and can not be. If you know how to deal with it then it is not, if you can't then it is.

I really don't get what you mean.

To me, hypocrisy is verbally attacking someone, but condemning someone's character when they do it to you. It's getting up in someone's face about something, then doing the same thing in the future. It's taking your room mate's cologne without asking, then raising hell-fire when they use a little of your shaving cream. It's people demanding to be treated with courtesy, then going through life being just crude. It's violating someone, then getting defensive when they retaliate. If I call them out on it, they either deny it, or explain why their behavior wasn't really so bad in comparison to mine, while in reality it's sometimes much worse.

It comes down to "I can but you can't." And it's just everywhere! And it gets old. :o

I see both of your parts, I think:

For LostUndergrad: It's when someone says something about themselves or claims to be that way then acts another

For CaptainTrips: It's when someone tells someone to act one way, and then acts another

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 4:35 pm

yep thats exactly it.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm

Yeah, Chrissy has it.

Both are forms of hypocrisy, but I guess I wanted to talk about the latter.