Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 4:55 pm

I am looking for a book which deals exclusively with neurons, how they work, what they do, how they work together. And I want it to go pretty indepth. Can anyone recommend a good book?

psych
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 5:22 pm

I think you may have to wait a while for that book to come out - the working of the brain is still largely a mystery to scientists. We understand neurons well on an individual level, can identify some of the basic network patterns + stuff but afaik thats all. Just saying you might be dissapointed in whats out there. Then again, its an exiting area, so if your looking to develop a professional interest, you could be in the first wave of researchers to make the revelatory breakthroughs.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 7:22 pm

You might try looking for a used Psychology textbook at a one of those Salvation Army-esque stores. Personally, I was able to pick up a lot about topics having to do with neurons like action potential, resting potential, neural threshold (the amount of stimulation necessary to produce neuron firing, that is, membrane permiability changes...etc...etc...) from a Cliffs Notes book on Psychology that I got from Wal-Mart. That may not be as in depth as you want, of course, in which case the used textbook would be your best bet.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 7:47 pm

I am looking for a biology textbook. I already have a book which describes the functional anatomy of the brain as a whole, and i've studied an anatomy book, but now I'd like to know more specifically what we know about neurons themselves. Not the whole brain, just single neurons, the signalling between them, and maybe a little rudimentary crap about how they work together in networks. I know we don't know a lot about the brain, i'm well aware of that, but if there is a book about what I ask, I'd like to know the name. I just wanna order it from amazon or something.

I am thinking about asking a professor at my college on the matter though.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 12:22 am

What sort of course would one study, to study the way the brain transmits messages, to study the way it actually works...

It's a very exciting prospect to me but I've yet to find a course that deals with this specifically, psychology seems to dismiss the physical side of things, and medicine seems to dismiss the psychological side of things, why are the two separated? Isn't it obvious to them even if we haven't worked it out yet, the mind, and the body, work together and affect each other intimately..

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 1:24 am

Nomaken wrote:
I am looking for a biology textbook. I already have a book which describes the functional anatomy of the brain as a whole, and i've studied an anatomy book, but now I'd like to know more specifically what we know about neurons themselves. Not the whole brain, just single neurons, the signalling between them, and maybe a little rudimentary crap about how they work together in networks. I know we don't know a lot about the brain, i'm well aware of that, but if there is a book about what I ask, I'd like to know the name. I just wanna order it from amazon or something.

I am thinking about asking a professor at my college on the matter though.

I got a book called "Neuroscience" by Bear, Connors and Paradiso, but it doesn't exclusively deal with neurons. However, it is a good introductory text to the whole concept of neurology. There was another text called "Principles of Neural Science" by Kandel, Scwartz and Jessel, which was apparently a lot more "hardcore", and more for the serious students of neurology.

On sabbatical...