Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

Anyone else almost frozen by the thought of making a phone call or answering the phone? I have been making calls this morning to get something solved, and it has been making me as nervous as anything. Then, one of the ladies said that one person had to call me back and I almost froze. If she does not call or if the call does not go through, I will have to call her. It took all the strength I had to make the phone call in the first place. Now the idea that I may have to call her again is driving me crazy! I feel like I am going to throw up.

I would much rather just show up places and be "inconvenienced" because someone cannot see me and then make an appt, than to have to call than to call and make the appt. Email is better than the phone, but most people do not want to do that either.

I just hate the phone. People do not understand, and the fact that I carry it around with me everywhere, people think that I love my phone. It is one of the most annoying things ever created.

cornelius6
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

I hate the phone as well. Everytime it rings my heart races and pounds, I get anxious.
Talking on the phone is the worst. I never know when to talk, I always seem to interrupt
the other person, not because I start talking in the middle of what they're saying,
but because I start talking a split second after they start talking. And this can happen
several times in a row, just like when you try not to bump into someone walking on the sidewalk
and you both go in the same direction, then the other, all in tandem, like a sick dance.
Over and over.
Having to call someone at a specific time is hell, it can ruin a day for me.
Waiting for a phone call is also hell.
The only time I find it bearable is when I give a short call just to relay specific information.
I.e. I'll be there in 30 minutes, I'm at your door bet there's no doorbell, etc.

Another thing I can't stand is instant messages, a bit more tolerable than the phone,
but still awkward and stressful.
Face to face conversation is no piece of cake, but it's easier.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Agreement. 100%. Although I do like texting better only because I can plan what I am going to say. I was on the phone so much today and I literally am so exhausted from it, I feel like I am going to fall asleep on my feet. I think the worst call today was the one I made to the lady that I apparently had already called yesterday and she was really angry that I called again. She let me know it too. I tried to explain to her and apologize that this was due to stress and that I just didn't remember and asked her nicely to please bare with me, but she was so rude (I usually flip out at people like this, but she is at my daughter's new school, and I have to talk to her again, so I worked really hard to keep myself in check.

I then went t o the school board office (where they know me and the situation a little better) and asked them who I could talk to about myself and communicating with the school faculty and staff so that "misunderstandings" don't happen. Apparently it is the same person I have to speak with about my daughter, and she isn't in until next week. St least the school board realizes that i hate the phone and they don't mind if I just show up. She was very sympathetic as well. I was trying so hard to not cry, but it has been such a long and stressful day, I couldn't hold it back. I wish the phone didn't effect me the way it does and I wish people really understood how much it DOES effect me. It is as bad as someone with a huge fear of heights or spiders. I mean one so bad they panic. Plus, I am agoraphobic, but I have been working on it. The past day has made me want to hide from the world though... even to the point of turning off my phone and any means anyone has of communicating with me on the computer. I am so exhausted.

I do think I am done wit the phone at least (for today).

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

I don't like the phone that much either. The only people I call are my friends (only 3 of them total) and my family. No one else at all. I would be scared and wouldn't know what to say. Also, when I do talk to my friends I have a hard time knowing when to talk and I always seem to talk over the other person. One of my friends is also autistic and has the same problem. So this causes us to talk over each other. It is annoying. Sometimes I can go months without talking to my friends as well. Other times I talk to them daily.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm

Yes. I can't stand it. I want to tear out from the wall and never hear it. The noise is akin to a sharp thin needle going through my ears. I get goosebumps and almost go through an angry stage.

Whenever I try and talk on the phone, I nearly have a breakdown depending on who I'm talking to. Sometimes I'll tell them I got to go or put the phone down instantly and lay on my bed with a pillow over the side of my face.

Confucius
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2011, 1:17 am

I really hate phone calls and get extreme anxiety when having to use them, almost as bad as talking to someone new face to face. IM for me is my easiest way to talk to someone. I don't really like texting either though.

Hmklenk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2011, 11:17 am

Me too!
I had to call help desk last Monday cause I couldn't get into myTC (computer system for my college)
and couldnt get into my college email. I had to keep on waiting getting more freaked out when i heard the audio track saying all the people were busy. Then, when I got a person I almost lost my cool about to freaky out. :(

LususNaturae

04 Aug 2011, 5:33 pm

I'm extremely anxious when I have to make a call or answer a phone call, yet once I'm on the phone, I always seem to handle myself well (good phone presence, voice, etc.). But it can be debilitating if I know I need to make a call.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm

Oh god yes.

Phones are horrid and should only be used for playing texting, emails, and games. Something about not seeing the persons face makes it quite awkward.

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2011, 4:20 am

Quote:
Something about not seeing the persons face makes it quite awkward.

That's EXACTLY what I keep trying to tell people!

GreatSphinx
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

The day I wrote the OP was the worst day I had in ages. I have a case manager who helps me with some things, and she called when I was finished with my other calls. I have several communication issues, and I am working through her to get the place that takes care of my mental health (of all places) to understand that they trigger all my triggers. They have my email address. I have had them place it in several areas of my profile they have on me, and it is listed as my contact. Most people will call me instead because "it is easier." I tell them that I get my email on my phone, and it is the BEST way to get a hold of me, not to mention that it means I don't actually have to make a call. The second thing they do is NOT talk directly to me when there is an issue, they send me a letter. I also have a fear of checking my mail (I know where that fear stems from). I have told them (since they insist that for records reasons they need to send mail) that they need to email me letting me know to expect it. I have gone over a week without checking mail, and if I get something, I become very anxious and do not want to open it.

Now, even with these communication issues, I do not tell them to only use email. If they have to call to remind me of an appt, I am fine with that. If they need to write a letter, ok, but let me know it is coming. If it is so important that they cannot use email, then schedule a time for me to come in (I am talking the housing and schooling side of the organization, not the medical - I don't like the phone, but it is more necessary sometimes). I will communicate, but they need to understand that they way they communicate (especially when treated like a number) sends me into a panic. The lady at the front desk and I had a "confrontation" several months ago. We have since resolved it and she is very matter of fact and calm with me now. She understands that I need to be directly told something and why and I understand that she is doing her job, and sometimes people have bad days. She and I seem to get along now.

As for the phone, I explained it this way to my case manager last week. I am trying to get my kids and I have the biggest fear of spiders. Making me talk on the phone to get some issue resolved is the same thing to me as asking me to get into a coffin full of spiders for an hour or I will loose my kids. It really panics me that much. I hate it. I even hang up on my own mother (who has several issues of her own) when she starts to emotionally build. If I don't hang up, I will loose it. It is the only way I can keep myself into check when on the phone with her.

I am hoping I can avoid the phone tomorrow (except maybe one call, which I may be able to avoid), but we shall see. I think if I wasn't so stressed out as it is, it wouldn't be so bad. But I am super stressed. The ringing makes me sick. I think I need to change the ring tone soon. This one is too tension filled.

MattbelOz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2012, 5:28 am

I am amazed to read all of the personal accounts regarding phone phobias. I am working with a young man, trying to assist him to get into employment and his phone phobia is causing so much anxiety and stress. Is this something he can work to overcome? What can I do to assist him with this? What strategies are there to relieve the anxiety.... that don't involve smoking (of any kind!!)
I see so much potential in him that I fear without with this support he will isolate himself and severely limit his opportunities in life.
Any advice would be most welcome... :)