I feel people are out to get me. Do you feel the same?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

No, I don't feel that people are out to get me. I feel that, if anything, they don't care very much and are indifferent to me.

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2011, 10:10 pm

Yes.... Paranoid over social situations because I am sometimes unsure of how to decipher them because of the intense emotionally empathizing content, as if I am a sponge for every little emotion or behavior and pick off easily, it's easily overwhelming, and I often come out of the situation thinking the worst.

I often pick up on patronizing me either genuinely because I appear to be a 12 year old boy to them for the way I dress (for sensory issues), sound of my voice (which sounds different in my head), but also because I lack social skills perhaps they pick up on, despite my savant- like ability to pick up emotions and people's general energy field like a sponge...

Though, some people patronize me obviously, because they need some kind of ego gratification and can sense my false naivety. That is obvious to me.
Then there are people who patronize me out of pity. That is obvious to me.

Another thing I notice is the reaction I get from people especially men when it comes to my art talent or basically how my vibe gives off (highly sexual which I cannot seem to help)... I often wonder if I am more schizo-type than AS because I score perfectly on facial recognition and empathy tests but when it comes to conversing with people I don't follow the 'rules'. I am often very very paranoid to the extent I have lost many friends over my behavior.

Also, yes, I have been literally targeted by other students, faculty, and admins. That is no paranoia. It is the result of my poor social skills that I do very bizarre and outrageous things.

Anyways
The best thing to do imo is to just go with the flow and not over think it and ignore the as*holes. I'm still working on that.

Last edited by archraphael on 09 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

I don't think that other people generally consider me important enough to specifically target me, but I think that some people realize that I'm an easy target and treat me poorly because of it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm

Yes. My parents say I was very paranoid even as a child.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:28 am

I was worried like this for many years. It stopped more recently because I have managed to regain self-esteem and stop worrying about what other people think of me. I have Tourette syndrome so even if my AS was mild (which it isn't) people would still notice me. Part of coming to terms with having TS is learning that people ARE going to stare at you or comment. I've developed quite a tough 'shell' to protect myself from this. I expect it's similar with AS but I am not sure because I have never JUST had AS.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 3:01 am

Just going to add that, in addition to feeling like some people are either out to get me or at least strongly biased against me, I also have paranoia of the sort where I strongly fear that people I currently have no problem with will be out to get me in the future.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 4:38 am

I used to but haven't felt this way since I was 24-25. I still get paranoid that someone is targeting me but that's about it. I just hope it's a coincidence.

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2011, 9:25 pm

I feel that everyone is out to get me too. It kinda sucks. :(

Hotura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

I only feel this way when I am outside alone in the dark. I dread having to get gas for my car at like 10:00 or 11:00 at night. It was worse in college and I had night classes I literally ran to my car after classes. I am a little better now that I have a hubby so he takes away the paraniod tendency when we are out.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

Yes, but I have a history of many people not being that great to me, so it might just be bitterness:)

Fact is, humans are a bit predatory and self involved. Many people focus on what they DON'T have and what is wrong with their lives and are looking to whatever they are missing from others. Just look at how many people are addicted to something and/or are on mood altering prescription drugs. I believe it is a spiritual sickness in addition to natural tendencies.

Screw em, look out for yourself, be cautious, I think we put off vibes that include some kind of sweet accepting thing in addition to all the other stuff, which can be a target for the really bad users in the world.

So, I don't think that people are just out to get me, but that it's a human tendency to use others, hurt people etc.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:26 am

I'm not sure about the whole "out to get me" thing
But I'm sure I give off an aspie vibe to people without even opening my mouth. Hence why groups of youths and people are always staring at me when I'm out in public, I mean, I don't even look weird but they look at me as if they know I'm aspie/different to them. With kids its the worst. Parents should teach them not to stare at people cos it creeps me out!

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 7:29 am

I often wish I could seal myself off on an island with only people I liked as well, as to prevent anyone from leaving or entering my life when not wanted. I'm also often scared of people I don't know, which doesn't really help (though not without reason).

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:08 am

Not really paranoid, but I've felt like people don't like me, without really knowing whether they do or not, only to be told later that they do in fact like me. I think I've stopped assuming that people don't like me. Although, I'm still worry about it when meeting new people.

I have a family member who suffers from severe paranoia, but won't accept that she does. She's always telling me about things that she thinks people are saying and thinking about her and things that she imagines they do when she isn't there, but I've grown to realise that it's only what she imagines they are saying or doing. I find it difficult to deal with. But I think that's different from what you are experiencing. She is HFA, but I think this is co-morbid something else. Possibly these ideas she has have been built up over the years because she is different and doesn't really understand why. I've been trying to explain about autism to her, but I don't think she really understands that is what makes her different. She gets upset when I don't believe her paranoid stories because what she experiences is so real to her.

At least you recognise that you are experiencing some anxiety and you can see how it is affecting you. That way you can take steps to lessen your anxiety, although you may need professional help to do this if you are feeling too overwhelmed or don't know where to begin by yourself.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

11 Aug 2011, 8:17 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Not at all. I see a world is is almost universally ambivalent to my existence. Whether I live or die matters not to anyone but a very small circle of people. If I died tonight, most of the world would not know of my passing. Some that know me would not be moved, some that know me would be moved briefly. Only those very close to me would feel any lasting effects.

I feel the same. The only relevance my life has to others is whatever I share with and/or impose on others, and that's only if they accept it.

Now, yes, I also think if I were to walk around sullen and paranoid looking, a few people being the animalistic predators they are would pick up on those vibes and a few of them would target me accordingly. So, it's best to learn to possess the 'best' self-concepts, attitudes and body language so this isn't a problem. And, it hasn't been (It never really has...). A few people do get defensive/offensive when I try to communicate with them, but I brush it off with ease.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:45 am

I don't think people are out to get me personally. I do make the observation however that some people are naturally more likable than others. I am not, by anyone's standards, easily likable. You have to know me to like me. I naturally distrust people, so that doesn't help much either.
There are some that don't like me, but that is clearly their problem, I probably don't like them much either.

Xyzzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

jackbus01 wrote:
I don't think people are out to get me personally. I do make the observation however that some people are naturally more likable than others. I am not, by anyone's standards, easily likable. You have to know me to like me. I naturally distrust people, so that doesn't help much either.
There are some that don't like me, but that is clearly their problem, I probably don't like them much either.

My wife always tells me "There are so many people that want to be your friend. I don't understand why you don't want to hang out with them.". So I guess that I'm "likeable". I don't really see that in myself, though. I certainly don't go out of my way to encourage people to like me. I do have a decent, if offbeat, sense of humor and I generally do well online. I can even play the role of a normal person most of the time, but it's very draining. My wife is very social and it can take me a week or more to recover from being dragged to "a fun party....you'll have a good time" <yikes!! !> I try to "put in my time", but the stress builds and I'll usually find an excuse to bail out after 30 minutes or so. If it's a neighbourhood event, I've learned to show my face at the beginning, leave and then come back halfway through and make an appearance again. It's not paranoia, but I don't really know what it is. I guess that there's just a certain element of intimacy that I just don't want to share with acquaintances.

I have no problem helping people out, answering questions, teaching other people things, etc. I just can't do the social thing. It's not that I dislike people (well...maybe. I don't actively dislike individuals, but I do generally dislike people as a group). I just can't help thinking how much I want to get away from this person and go do something productive with my time.

I don't distrust other people. If anything, I trust them more than I should. I just assume that everyone says what they mean and means what they say until they prove otherwise. Usually if I find out that someone has lied to me, I just can't deal with them anymore. If I know that they've habitually lied to others, all bets are off. I simply can't be around them. It's like being around someone that you know is molesting chickens in their basement. You can't look at them without hearing the frantic clucking in your head and imagining feathers flying everywhere.