Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Buck-oh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

exch wrote:
I have always been greatly opposed to dress codes. Specially in work environments. Who cares what I wear, as long as I get the job done?

It depends on the work, and it depends on the job. There's some extremes that baffle me, like Ross Perot believing it was much better to teach a guy in a suit how to become a programmer, than it was to just let the professional programmers wear what they wanted and keep them out of the public eye. But then again, Perot was a micromanager and kind of a control freak.

I'm not a fan of uniforms, but I have no problem with narrowing the range for error when it comes to dress codes. Juicy sweatpants and offensive t-shirts are not appropriate anywhere, especially at work. There are too many people who love to rationalize why a "Religious Bull***" or "It's not going to **** itself" t-shirt shouldn't be offensive to customers and their workmates. I tend to wear unprinted t-shirts anyway, my beliefs and philosophies are not fashion statements.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

I dress the way that Mick is dressed in my avatar a great deal, because that's what makes me feel comfortable.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

I have issues with shirts: it feels very uncomfortable to have something so rough in my neck. I try to avoid wearing them. I also have a distaste for suits because of their impractical nature (the jacket is stupidly warm, though the pants are awesome).

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Inside, in the summer particularly (right now!) being naked does admittedly feel the best. Not if it's slightly too cold, and I guess underpants, at least, make it more comfortable (crotch wouldn't get abraded).

Second. :D Although with male crotch it can be unpleasant when skin sticks to skin, so eventually wearing underpants isn't much worse...

exch wrote:
I have always been greatly opposed to dress codes. Specially in work environments. Who cares what I wear, as long as I get the job done?

While basically I agree, one should be more considered. Thankfully I'm working at a creative company now where a jacket or costume is rarely required. Usually I wear modest golf-shirts or like and jeans. Shorts are frowned upon, nevertheless.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 6:49 pm

I wear a hoodie or long sleeves in inappropriate weather because I have sensory things going on. I have to have something on my arms or they feel weird.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

People with thyroid problems are known to be sensitive to temperature, some people don't care or are lazy, some it doesn't occur to them that it offends others, some it does occur but they don't care.... ect

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2011, 8:56 pm

To me wearing a tie is rather unpleasant. it is useless. Wearing a business uniform suit, so pants and jackett in the same color with a different colored shirt, is something I cannot wear, because no suit trousers fits me. I can only wear jeans. So I only wear light or typical black jeans and a black shirt, sometimes a dark blue s**t. That's it. If the weather is cold enough, I wear a jackett / sakko / blazer with two knobs, black as well. How can someone wear a blazor in hot weather sweating his ass off? Same goes with wearig such a textile indoors. The use of a jackett is to protect from a cold environment. Wearing a good looking jacket is a nice extra for the pactical use. But I would never wear clothes just for the look, ignoring the comfort. Sweating like in hell is not comforting at all, is it?

I am glad I work in the IT. Here I do not have to look like a $65,000 p.a. top manager running around in a $1000 suit all day long.

I do not understand the why following some practicaly useless garment tradition, some rich folk in the upper class of UK and or USA or France came up with in 18xx ... even today there are UK upper class events where the men wear cylinders! I wear a hat, a skippi black leather hat protecting me against rain, sun, whatever I encounter outdoors. It feels right and I need the pressure against my forehead and around my head. I tried many diffferent hats and caps and not an other felt right and did not look right me wearing them but cowboy or skippi hats.

Dresscode... I do not understand the concept. Either the factory worker or the top manager may show up wearing any clothes, I do not care as long as they are clean and does not hurt the eyes by looking at it. I do not see if the blazer must have cost just $50 or $300, if indoors I ask the person if it is not too warm for wearing so much textile. Yes, I realy did ask that last week the agency employee who gave me my next job contract. It was realy hot and so I decided wearing light clothes and not a blazer and no tie! It was just tooo f***ing hot this day! So I wondered why he had a suit with everything!

Ok, showing off, showing a message about the company and the workplace out to the outside world when meeting customers, appearing in public and media. Ok, that is a reason to wear in a special or traditional and expansive way. Ok. But inside without having any outside customer contact I do not see any use in wearing a suit, with a balzer and a tie etc. It is not such a big deal not to look like a homeless drunk piece of s**t, still why not show individualism? Oh yea, I wear a signal yellow tie to a black suit, yes I am a real punk or a whatever freak of individualism! See, just find your own style, still looking good without following some dusty old tradition without practical use not paying attention to temp, weather and so on.

I cannot wear office patent-leather shoes for a long time. When I know I have to sit alll day at the pc desk, it's ok, just for the nice look. But when I know I have to walk or stand up half day long, I know such office shoes will make my feet realy hurt. So I wear black hicking sneakers. Jut for the look and stupid dresscode and tradition I cannot wear stuff that will hurt me!

- Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
I am an IT and Aviation Nerd!
- Asperger diagnosis / Autism spectrum diagnosis official 04/2016
- self diagnosis 2008

Last edited by IkeSiCwan on 14 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

I'm a typical Aspie girl. I hate wearing dresses, heels, mini skirts, bikinis and makeup. Not just for sensory reasons but also because I'm a very modest person and I hate exposing myself. But most of the clothes I do wear are actually pretty feminine.