Page 1 of 15 [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 2:37 am

One of it's primary strategies I've observed is how to create a perceived world against us mentality to garnish loyalty. It's PR successes were some of their organizations downfalls. It can be seen in protests with members holding signs accusing others of pity, accusations of war crimes like human cleansing and radicalism promoting confrontations instead of friendly discourse which does not promote tolerance but that of despondency. People who genuinely cared were trashed at times, individuals not understanding entirely were called ignorant at other times and bold but reckless pursuits to garnish attention sought to force their views while not respecting the views of even other self-advocates. In premise pride in a disorder is disputable and can be seen as sugar coating the reality of the disability real people experience but pride in ones work and mind is respectable.

It may be human nature that people are drawn to drama, conflict and disruption. It is not necessarily a fault but in the real life of others progress is needed. Perhaps a different kind of bold, attention gathering and defining advocacy may better realize change within society aside from the focused efforts of large organizations like Autism Speaks who focus on other matters like treatment research. We have advocacy like Autism Speaks and other parent advocacy efforts that seem to garnish great amounts of attention and success. Advocates that are highly successful like Temple Grandin whose approaches are more kind and positive have award winning results. What I am getting at is why not for those who find themselves disturbed or even distracted by autism political conflicts try to focus on something overall more positive and changing that individuals of all kinds of autism beliefs may help realize. People are not going to change their minds because some people but other individuals do not have pride in a disorder and want a cure when others would not like to remedy symptoms which prevent them from realizing normalcy. Self-acceptance and motivationalism don't necessarily need to force someone to realize hey your just different but to improve lives regardless of a core beliefs in what autism is.

In day to day reality beyond the politics of the pride movement which has proven to divide and be divisive we need a movement that spends as much if not more energy on ground breaking changes like inclusion. An inclusion whereas lives were where applicable are more excluded or even isolated. Some don't like the idea that autism can be portrayed as if it is a jail sentence. Realize however isolation and other exclusionary realities exist whether it's the inability to speak, participate as others do and become as independent as one desires. I was wondering if others will soon realize some kinds of advocacy are just not going to work for everyone while others need more attention, innovation, creativity and help to create effect.

For some is it always going to be about pride and prides ways only and is it ok that some of us with autism just don't want to be involved in it?

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 4:38 am

.........and your humble.the conclusion i have come to is that young kids today just see things diferent.i have my own pride in my own way its just diferent than kids today.most of the kids you label pride mites are just going through normal growing pains

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 4:59 am

I am not sure whom you consider a kid. For instance in protests I see individuals in their 20's if not early 30's. Yet some older people call people in their 20's and early 30's kids. I think I've used the word pride-mite 4-5 times in total. Just a response to the curebe name calling.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:12 am

by kids i mean under 25, college students.i dont engage in curebee or pride mite name calling

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:13 am

vermontsavant wrote:
by kids i mean under 25, college students.i dont engage in curebee or pride mite name calling

Good. It is senseless. The technique was used to neutralize it anyways.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

You know, ci - I've had it up to here with your attacks on pride.

In addition to being an aspie, I'm gay. It took me a long time to understand that gay pride is about being proud of trying to understand yourself, come to terms with who you are, and surviving and even thriving in the face of adversity.

Everything I said about gay pride also holds for aspie/autie pride.

I'm proud to be an aspie. I am not an aspie supremicist, and I resent your trying to portray those of us asserting pride as being such.

I'm proud to be an aspie. I'm better than other people at some things and worse at others. I spent the first 54 years of my life trying to figure out who I am while surviving with my spirit and integrity intact in the process.

I'm proud to be an aspie. I'm glad to finally have found a community of people who have some understanding of what I face, what I have overcome, and who may benefit from who I am and what I have learned. I'm not withdrawing from the world at large, but I sure as hell am glad to have found this one.

I'm proud to be an aspie and I'm angry that someone is trying to take that pride away from me.

Stop it, ci.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
You know, ci - I've had it up to here with your attacks on pride.

In addition to being an aspie, I'm gay. It took me a long time to understand that gay pride is about being proud of trying to understand yourself, come to terms with who you are, and surviving and even thriving in the face of adversity.

I'm proud to be an aspie. I am not an aspie supremicist, and I resent your trying to portray those of us asserting pride as being such.

I'm proud to be an aspie. I'm better than other people at some things and worse at others. I spent the first 54 years of my life trying to figure out who I am while surviving with my spirit and integrity intact in the process.

I'm proud to be an aspie. I'm glad to finally have found a community of people who have some understanding of what I face, what I have overcome, and who may benefit from who I am and what I have learned. I'm not withdrawing from the world at large, but I sure as hell am glad to have found this one.

I'm proud to be an aspie and I'm angry that someone is trying to take that pride away from me.

Stop it, ci.

I think allot of others have also had enough with the autism prides movement ideologies. Firstly self-acceptance does not mean anti-cure and it is an entirely different concern then gay pride rights. One can accept that improvements can be made with research and what hinders a cure would be nice. Pride on the other hand major aspects of it have confronted my and others rights to research and have accused many things which is not true.

Again nothing to do with gay rights or pride which I politically support gay rights. Just stay out of the rights to treatment of others with gay rights in autism politics or you will find people that are gay defending my and others rights. Autism is not about being gay which is a simple sexuality and not a life-long disability which impairs people severally where applicable.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

AlanTuring wrote:

Now you have given me food for though Alan...I suppose I may have fallen into the trap of mixing up Austistic Pride with Autistic Supremacy...even though I would have been the first in the queue to reign scorn on anyone who made exactly the same mistake about Gay Pride.

I need to give this thought.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 4:54 pm

How you think your post is a response to mine is beyond me.

ci wrote:
I think allot of others have also had enough with the autism prides movement ideologies.

I don't care whether anyone has issues with autism pride. I explained my position regarding that, and my firm support for aspie/autie pride.

ci wrote:
Firstly self-acceptance does not mean anti-cure and it is an entirely different concern then gay pride rights.

1. I didn't confuse gay pride and aspie/autie pride - you did. I simply related what I had learned about pride as a gay man and said that I have the same sort of pride as an aspie and for precisely the same reasons.

2. Who the hell said anything about 'anti-cure'? I didn't. I haven't said a thing about that and I deeply resent your dragging it into the discussion as though it is associated with pride. It isn't. Stop this.

ci wrote:
One can accept that improvements can be made with research and what hinders a cure would be nice.

Your are being confusing here, but I won't worry about that.

ci wrote:
Pride on the other hand major aspects of it have confronted my and others rights to research and have accused many things which is not true.

Nonsense. Pride does none of that - it is an assertion of dignity and accomplishment. Anything else that you read into it is ridiculous.

ci wrote:
Again nothing to do with gay rights or pride which I politically support gay rights.

I haven't add said a thing about gay rights - I was giving a personal account about how I came to understand what is meant by 'gay pride'.

I'm glad you support gay rights. I do as well.

ci wrote:
Just stay out of the rights to treatment of others or you will find people that are gay defending my and others rights.

I haven't begun to discuss the notion of 'rights to treatment' - you simply made that up out of thin air.

I don't anticipate ever getting into a discussion of rights with you. Life is too short.

I don't give a damn whether anyone else who is gay jumps to your defense - being gay doesn't make someone right any more than being gay makes them wrong.

This has got to be one of the more bizarre threats I've ever received.

ci wrote:
Autism is not about being gay which is a simple sexuality and not a disability.

Once again, I never said that autism is about being gay - you made that up.

Finally, your opinions about what is 'simple sexuality' are uncalled for.

Thanks for getting my blood flowing.

Last edited by AlanTuring on 15 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 4:58 pm

Zeraeph wrote:
Now you have given me food for though Alan...I suppose I may have fallen into the trap of mixing up Austistic Pride with Autistic Supremacy...even though I would have been the first in the queue to reign scorn on anyone who made exactly the same mistake about Gay Pride.

I need to give this thought.

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Even as a gay man, I had trouble at first with the idea of "gay pride" - while I enjoyed several aspects of being gay (and suffered from others), I thought it was as inappropriate to take pride in being gay as to be ashamed to be gay. A friend explained to me one day what I was missing in the discussion. I haven't been the same since, and have been proud (and happier) ever since.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:30 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
How you think your post is a response to mine is beyond me.

ci wrote:
I think allot of others have also had enough with the autism prides movement ideologies.

I don't care whether anyone has issues with autism pride. I explained my position regarding that, and my firm support for aspie/autie pride.

ci wrote:
Firstly self-acceptance does not mean anti-cure and it is an entirely different concern then gay pride rights.

1. I didn't confuse gay pride and aspie/autie pride - you did. I simply related what I had learned about pride as a gay man and said that I have the same sort of pride as an aspie and for precisely the same reasons.

2. Who the hell said anything about 'anti-cure'? I didn't. I haven't said a thing about that and I deeply resent your dragging it into the discussion as though it is associated with pride. It isn't. Stop this.

ci wrote:
One can accept that improvements can be made with research and what hinders a cure would be nice.

Your are being confusing here, but I won't worry about that.

ci wrote:
Pride on the other hand major aspects of it have confronted my and others rights to research and have accused many things which is not true.

Nonsense. Pride does none of that - it is an assertion of dignity and accomplishment. Anything else that you read into it is ridiculous.

ci wrote:
Again nothing to do with gay rights or pride which I politically support gay rights.

I haven't add said a thing about gay rights - I was giving a personal account about how I came to understand what is meant by 'gay pride'.

I'm glad you support gay rights. I do as well.

ci wrote:
Just stay out of the rights to treatment of others or you will find people that are gay defending my and others rights.

I haven't begun to discuss the notion of 'rights to treatment' - you simply made that up out of thin air.

I don't anticipate ever getting into a discussion of rights with you. Life is too short.

I don't give a damn whether anyone else who is gay jumps to your defense - being gay doesn't make someone right any more than being gay makes them wrong.

This has got to be one of the more bizarre threats I've ever received.

ci wrote:
Autism is not about being gay which is a simple sexuality and not a disability.

Once again, I never said that autism is about being gay - you made that up.

Finally, your opinions about what is 'simple sexuality' are uncalled for.

Thanks for getting my blood flowing.

Absolute nonsense. Gay politics have been used in autism pride advocacy to go up against cure research and we are expected to think wanting a cure for debilitating symptoms of autism is akin intolerance toward gays. At this point any sublime similarity needs to be pointed out to socially protect the rights of individuals for research. It's the kind of political abuse human rights advocates need to watch out for. Anyone at anytime of legal right may object to "cure" but to what extent should pride advocates go to derail the rights for others to choose cure without being confronted, demeaned and considered themselves bigoted for desiring one. For this reason any mention of gay pride in context to pride advocacy that is known to be anti-cure in politics should be made to clarify. You have at least somewhat clarified but again autism differs from simply different sexual preferences.

If you want to use a label and call it an identity and use that identity to make less popular treatment right advancements and consider it akin to, similar or can be treated like gay pride you cannot use being gay as a way to win your arguments. It's not discrimination to think of autism is strictly a disability label about hardships. Accepting a disorder label as merely a difference to have pride in differs from accepting people who are "autistic".

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 6:25 pm

ci wrote:
Absolute nonsense. Gay politics have been used in autism pride advocacy to go up against cure research and we are expected to think wanting a cure for debilitating symptoms of autism is akin intolerance toward gays. At this point any sublime similarity needs to be pointed out to socially protect the rights of individuals for research. It's the kind of political abuse human rights advocates need to watch out for. Anyone at anytime of legal right may object to "cure" but to what extent should pride advocates go to derail the rights for others to choose cure without being confronted, demeaned and considered themselves bigoted for desiring one. For this reason any mention of gay pride in context to pride advocacy that is known to be anti-cure in politics should be made to clarify. You have at least somewhat clarified but again autism differs from simply different sexual preferences.

If you want to use a label and call it an identity and use that identity to make less popular treatment right advancements and consider it akin to, similar or can be treated like gay pride you cannot use being gay as a way to win your arguments. It's not discrimination to think of autism is strictly a disability label about hardships. Accepting a disorder label as merely a difference to have pride in differs from accepting people who are "autistic".

Absolute nonsense.

Once again, your post is not a valid response to my post, for you are wrong, not addressing what I actually wrote, and are barking out of dark places.

I am not interested in your battles for 'cures' and your notions of 'rights to treatment' (or your candles*, if the truth be told (shame on you!)). The subjects are worth discussing at some point, and I may do so, but not with you, for you do not know how to have a discussion, at least on these things.

I posted originally an explanation of how I regard pride, both in the context of being a gay man and an aspie, noted that the reasons for pride are the same and have nothing to do with being gay or aspie but for having survived, overcome adversity, and kept myself intact. You inanely refuse to deal with what I said and deleriously stuff straw into everything at hand.

* Lest you think my bringing up your candle business (for autism!?!?!) is out of line, may I point out that you insist on hawking it as part of your signature in every post that you make. I have visited your site, I have read some discussions on the appropriateness of what you do, and here is my conclusion - if you insist on doing aromatherapy via candles, please stop associating it with autism, please stop taking subsidies for it as an autism-associated organization, and please stop trying to sell them here.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 6:32 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
ci wrote:

Absolute nonsense.

Once again, your post is not a valid response to my post, for you are wrong, not addressing what I actually wrote, and are barking out of dark places.

I am not interested in your battles for 'cures' and your notions of 'rights to treatment' (or your candles*, if the truth be told (shame on you!)). The subjects are worth discussing at some point, and I may do so, but not with you, for you do not know how to have a discussion, at least on these things.

I posted originally an explanation of how I regard pride, both in the context of being a gay man and an aspie, noted that the reasons for pride are the same and have nothing to do with being gay or aspie but for having survived, overcome adversity, and kept myself intact. You inanely refuse to deal with what I said and deleriously stuff straw into everything at hand.

* Lest you think my bringing up your candle business (for autism!?!?!) is out of line, may I point out that you insist on hawking it as part of your signature in every post that you make. I have visited your site, I have read some discussions on the appropriateness of what you do, and here is my conclusion - if you insist on doing aromatherapy via candles, please stop associating it with autism, please stop taking subsidies for it as an autism-associated organization, and please stop trying to sell them here.

I do not sell candles online and it is a work program of large success where I life and was sharing it with other advocates and it is for individuals with autism and other DD's to work and whom do work. Nothing but positivity from other autism self-advocates, parents and professionals with regards to it. If you seek to derail equal opportunity and yet have a pride in a disorder that keeps us from having typical mainstream employment then your true intents have been seen. While I do not disagree with pride in sexuality I do disagree with pride attempting to force their choices on myself and others. Your hatred trying to remove our opportunity I can only hope shows itself offline so I and others can see who you folks really are.

Some autism rights advocate you are. You have stooped very low. I challenge you to show your true face or for you to stay as a coward hiding behind a PC screen using your gay rights politics to subvert how I must view autism in myself. If your autism is one way but my and others autism is another way we are going to view it differently. I think the spectrum is far to wide.

Under California and Federal law I am allowed to be part of the community and work anyway I want. Just because I cannot drive does not mean I shouldn't use my community integration to not work. Damned if I do damned if I don't as I would be called lazy for not bothering.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

ci wrote:
It's not discrimination to think of autism is strictly a disability label about hardships. Accepting a disorder label as merely a difference to have pride in differs from accepting people who are "autistic".

Now go back and see how Alan actually defined Autistic Pride and then try to find the good grace in you to apologise.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 6:40 pm

look ci these anti pride posts are getting old. i wouldnt say your beatning a dead horse more like your beating dead wooly mamouth that died a million years ago.and your hardly humble,a person as proud as yourself has no right to judge others pride

ci
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 6:51 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
look ci these anti pride posts are getting old. i wouldnt say your beatning a dead horse more like your beating dead wooly mamouth that died a million years ago.and your hardly humble,a person as proud as yourself has no right to judge others pride

Finally someone stood up to the wrongs of the pride movement. They have used every scapegoat possible to derail what they could have of treatment right advancements they don't agree with. It's not a humble process this kind of politic. As far as being proud no I claim that I am not proud of what disabled me but quite confident in overcoming. Even Temple Grandin has talked about overcoming autism barriers. It's quite different then some of the philosophies expressed of autism pride. When it is realized personal choices are simply personal and individual and that other peoples choices ought to be respected by pride advocates as part of it's methods I think it can fair off better. To assert someone must ave a cure is very much the same kind of idea as asserting a cure is wrong for everyone. The interrelation of autism as a conceptual social premise is what I think is the core problem. Whereas autism seems to in one regard to be entirely different for another individual least in the functional premise and so their personal views can be reflective of this when it projects as part of a agenda. If everyone was to finally agree or for it to become standard practice that socially autism is different for everyone and potential cures were not for everyone I think it would be better of for social conflict resolutions.