Page 1 of 12 [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

WildColonialBoy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

In view of the recent conflict on this site, I have been pondering the following:

Is it time to recognise that Aspies have widely different needs and agendas than people who are further down the spectrum?

Is it time for Aspies to cease to advocate on behalf of lower functioning individuals and to concentrate on getting the best deal for themselves and their families from society?

I beleive that it may be time to put altruism aside and for Aspies to look out for each other and recognise that, just because medical science has lumped everybody on a "spectrum", it does not mean that we should carry those who do not advance our cause.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 6:51 pm

I think it's time to recognise that everyone has different needs and agendas, and rather than investing a lot of energy fighting to decide who has the truest grasp of reality, instead work with that plurality in mind.

I don't know who said we should be altruistic, which, by the definition I use, means putting the welfare of others ahead of your own. I believe we should seek to meet our needs while also helping others to meet their needs.

In my experience, a person can give a lot more to others once their own needs are met.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

Moog wrote:
I think it's time to recognise that everyone has different needs and agendas, and rather than investing a lot of energy fighting to decide who has the truest grasp of reality, instead work with that plurality in mind.

I don't know who said we should be altruistic, which, by the definition I use, means putting the welfare of others ahead of your own. I believe we should seek to meet our needs while also helping others to meet their needs.

In my experience, a person can give a lot more to others once their own needs are met.

I think that is a totally excellent post.

Personally I just stand against corruption, exploitation and powertripping...take those factors away, and I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that anyone left would actually put REAL effort into finding out what their target market actually needs FOR REAL before inflicting anything upon them.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm

So if some politics considered the real needs of others it would have been a bit less conflict orientated like damning those who care and warping what people say and only excepting their agenda or else face the consequences. They tried that on me and failed and tried it on others and it failed One thing I've realized is when you stand strong, are confident and offer real solutions that work people listen. Change is not dependent upon ideological fractions but simply the solutions empowered by relentless motivation combined with effective penetration within society. As far as focusing on ones own family first it would depend on context. The public tells me they don't want my efforts for instance just to support people with autism but people with developmental disabilities in general. A publicly supported product manufacturing cannot depend upon my personal priorities first but that of whom it is for in general. So I agree with the post in that if I spent money that was for groceries but on new product development that would be wrong.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 8:11 pm

Discovering that I am an aspie has given me a deep sense of kinship not only with other aspies but with everyone wrestling with a difference or a disorder, with something that sets them apart from others, and especially with others who fall somewhere in the autism space.

I think it is unhelpful to speak of an 'autism spectrum', because that suggests that there is a linear ordering of autistic syndromes that many think of as ranging from 'high-functioning' to 'low-functioning'. That doesn't work very well.

Some aspies are very high functioning and some are very low functioning.

Some aspies feel that their benefits from being aspie far outweight the detriments. Others feel precisely the opposite.

Some aspies would not want to be cured if a cure were possible; other aspies yearn for a cure.

Those are three dimensions just in aspieland. Each of the other syndromes that are covered by 'autism' have multiple dimensions as well.

We are diagnosed or self-diagnosed into one or more of these autism syndromes because of the set of traits that we possess. Some traits I may regard as strengths and others as weaknesses; you may have somewhat differing opinions. We each fall into a cluster (or sometimes between clusters) of points in a multidimensional autism space. Some clusters have been given names.

The names don't matter nearly as much as how how happy you are, how much assistance you need in life, whether you can build upon your strengths and around your weaknesses, whether you can do good as you understand it, whether you can achieve some of your dreams, and whether you have the love and respect of cats.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
Discovering that I am an aspie has given me a deep sense of kinship not only with other aspies but with everyone wrestling with a difference or a disorder, with something that sets them apart from others, and especially with others who fall somewhere in the autism space.

I think it is unhelpful to speak of an 'autism spectrum', because that suggests that there is a linear ordering of autistic syndromes that many think of as ranging from 'high-functioning' to 'low-functioning'. That doesn't work very well.

Some aspies feel that their benefits from being aspie far outweight the detriments. Others feel precisely the opposite.

Some aspies would not want to be cured if a cure were possible; other aspies yearn for a cure.

Those are three dimensions just in aspieland. Each of the other syndromes that are covered by 'autism' have multiple dimensions as well.

We are diagnosed or self-diagnosed into one or more of these autism syndromes because of the set of traits that we possess. Some traits I may regard as strengths and others as weaknesses; you may have somewhat differing opinions. We each fall into a cluster (or sometimes between clusters) of points in a multidimensional autism space. Some clusters have been given names.

The names don't matter nearly as much as how how happy you are, how much assistance you need in life, whether you can build upon your strengths and around your weaknesses, whether you can do good as you understand it, whether you can achieve some of your dreams, and whether you have the love and respect of cats.

Very nice post. Some of the happiest people I have met in my life, have been those that were poor, challenged in some way while some of the least happiest people I came across were the rich and advantaged. Some adapt to disadvantage while some are destroyed by advantage. It is all relative depending on individual and circumstance.

Meanwhile I think it is good when we can see the challenges that others have and attempt to understand the differences and help where we realistically can. There were thousands in my life that helped me in that respect. Those type of people, are in part, responsible for the existence of many others.

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 8:39 pm

aghogday wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:

Very nice post. Some of the happiest people I have met in my life, have been those that were poor, challenged in some way while some of the least happiest people I came across were the rich and advantaged. Some adapt to disadvantage while some are destroyed by advantage. It is all relative depending on individual and circumstance.

Meanwhile I think it is good when we can see the challenges that others have and attempt to understand the differences and help where we realistically can. There were thousands in my life that helped me in that respect. Those type of people, are in part, responsible for the existence of many others.

Sorry,the poor but argument does not have legs here.

I have been both rich and poor, rich is better.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 8:55 pm

ProudAspie wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:

It depends on the individual and circumstance. Beyond good health, the number #1 factor in happiness as evidenced by science are the quality of social connectiveness we have with others. Beyond about $50,000 a year, money has little correlation with happiness per research from science. Those are just averages, though, not applicable to everyone.

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

aghogday wrote:
ProudAspie wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:

It depends on the individual and circumstance. Beyond good health, the number #1 factor in happiness as evidenced by science are the quality of social connectiveness we have with others. Beyond about $50,000 a year, money has little correlation with happiness per research from science. Those are just averages, though, not applicable to everyone.

To most of the world's population 50K pa is wealth beyond the dreams of avarice.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm

ProudAspie wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ProudAspie wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:

To most of the world's population 50K pa is wealth beyond the dreams of avarice.

Totally agree, those statistics are only relevant to the US, and the culture here.

My previous comments about the rich and poor were anecdotal; what I have seen in my personal experience. Not those that are starving, but those that live paycheck to paycheck with no real assets, other than the joy of living.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

WildColonialBoy wrote:
Is it time to recognise that Aspies have widely different needs and agendas than people who are further down the spectrum?

It doesn't seem to me that all aspies even have the same needs and agendas.

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
WildColonialBoy wrote:

Equal opprtunity and a level playing field in work, education, health care, the judicial system and recreation to NTs sound like a reasonable start?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm

ProudAspie wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
WildColonialBoy wrote:

Equal opprtunity and a level playing field in work, education, health care, the judicial system and recreation to NTs sound like a reasonable start?

Yes, basic rights. Which is independent of "functioning level."

My point was that I don't see how dividing down to the n-th degree is helpful. After separating AS from autistic disorder (and PDD-NOS?), do the really, really high functioning aspies then separate themselves from the "lower functioning" ones? It doesn't seem useful or the right thing to do.

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 11:15 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
ProudAspie wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
WildColonialBoy wrote:

Yes, basic rights. Which is independent of "functioning level."

My point was that I don't see how dividing down to the n-th degree is helpful. After separating AS from autistic disorder (and PDD-NOS?), do the really, really high functioning aspies then separate themselves from the "lower functioning" ones? It doesn't seem useful or the right thing to do.

Politics is the art of the possible and you don't win a game by fielding the B team.

ProudAspie
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

aghogday wrote:
ProudAspie wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ProudAspie wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AlanTuring wrote:

Totally agree, those statistics are only relevant to the US, and the culture here.

My previous comments about the rich and poor were anecdotal; what I have seen in my personal experience. Not those that are starving, but those that live paycheck to paycheck with no real assets, other than the joy of living.

Until a rainy day comes along..................................................................

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

ProudAspie wrote:
Politics is the art of the possible and you don't win a game by fielding the B team.

And by what criteria does one qualify for the A team? John Micheal Carley's standards, Bryna Segal's, Temple Grandin's?