Mostly Different. 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Very Different. 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:15 am

aghogday wrote:
In some cases people with traits of Autism may be the lucky ones, many of these people will likely never come close to a diagnosis. Some thrive in this type of life.

If you agree that people who go without diagnoses then those who are diagnosed then doesn't this make the whole idea of diagnosis bumpkis?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:
In some cases people with traits of Autism may be the lucky ones, many of these people will likely never come close to a diagnosis. Some thrive in this type of life.

If you agree that people who go without diagnoses then those who are diagnosed then doesn't this make the whole idea of diagnosis bumpkis?

I think people go in for a diagnosis when they are having problems adjusting to life. I didn't even visit a doctor for 23 years. There was no medication for children with ADHD, when I was growing up, I've also been diagnosed with that. I burned the energy off every day after school outside.

I personally think the increased prevalence of diagnosis, is because of environmental effects as simple as never having the opportunity to play with kids, lack of exercise, life in front of electronic devices, and the fact that all kids are screened in the US with access to medical care, whereas they weren't before.

Developmental delays, I think, may largely be caused by indirect environmental factors such as hormonal influence from maternal and paternal stress. Beyond that genetic issues.

I see many of the Autistic traits found in the population as a normal part of variation. About half of the population trends toward the introverted spectrum; those that systemize, analyze, and aren't as socially motivated. Even the entire cultures of countries, such as Germany, are characterized with these traits as a way of life. Much of it is not new. Culture has changed more than the inherent characteristics of individuals. Real evolution takes time.

Some children can no longer adapt to the environment we live, in modern society. If I had been born today, I don't know if I would have been able to adapt either; I was raised in a small town with small schools; I wasn't part of the fast moving world we have today. More severe cases of Autism have always been a part of the population, there is nothing new there.

The people that are adults now and thrive with Autism traits are resilient enough to adapt and they adapted slowly as things moved faster, it wasn't presented all to them from the time they were a tiny child. No one would have even took notice of Bill Gates Autistic traits, in the general public, if he had not been famous. There are likely many people like him that aren't famous.

This website is a support site; for the most part it is a place where people can find support that are having trouble adapting to the world. Those folks that are adapting, don't have a reason to come here, as far as I can see; most probably don't even realize what Aspergers is except some TV show that was about a Kid with problems.

I'm glad I wasn't diagnosed younger, and faced the adversity, adapted, and felt as good as anyone else, as far as I could see. I came here, in hopes to help other people adapt in the ways I did. Along the way I've got caught in the discussion with Autism Speaks, because I wanted to understand why people hated an organization that wanted to help Autistic Kids; why some Autistic people were demonizing an organization that was supported by the majority of the public, and lauded for their efforts in my country.

I see some negative things, but I also see quite a bit of what seems like has become an urban internet myth, propagated by digital technology that never dies, and makes everything questionable the organization has done appear to have happened at one time, now in the present.

In my analysis of the situation it seems like an opportunity to join forces to fight against a perceived bully that is no real threat of fighting back. It seems taboo to mention anything good about the organization, among some.

I'm too old to fall to peer pressure when expressing a view, particularly when I hear someone state the organization does nothing positive for Autistic people, as fact. I like a reasonable conversation, and that's not part of one that I am willing to accept as fact when it can easily be refuted by fact.

I've only personally been attacked by one person, since I have been here, and both times it was related to a conversation about Autism Speaks, by that same individual. If I were an unreasonable person, chances are I would have been attacked before. At this point it appears to be a trend for others if they present evidence to refute opinion by the individual. If it were just me I would reconsider my statements and opinions, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You got caught up in the middle of it, and seem to have been taken advantage of to support that attack as far as I can see; looks like you caught on quick. It's the internet, it's no big deal to me, when my opinion is attacked, I counter with evidence, not personal attack. When someone attacks another individual, I have no problem supported them with facts as well.

Most everyone that visits here on a serious basis, that needs support and wants to offer support seem to be reasonable individuals to me, the mob effect was becoming apparent in this forum, and has been diluted; looks like we are back on the path to reasonable discussion; there will obviously be heated disagreements, but personal attacks are not a required or accepted part of that.