Do you think that the United States is evil?

Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you think that the United States is evil?
Yes 42%  42%  [ 28 ]
No 58%  58%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 67

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

as Blixa Bargeld, of Einsturzende Neubauten, said: "The German language is my mother, but the German state is my father. I love my mother. With my father I have issues."

for me that's the American land, & its seldom rational inhabitants.

reasoning." --William Blake

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
The difference is it is easier to spot the nastiness in other countries. I was always told that serial killers don't look like how they are stereotyped to, but rather look respectable or generally harmless. I've known many who believe Islam is the antiChrist, but forget that all the descriptions in the bible (I'm not a Christian) point to a unified powerful angel of light. Sounds more like the 'America the righteous' than the 'Evil Arab Terrorist' stereotypes.

Neither America nor Islam existed at the time John wrote Revelations.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

On the one hand, the notion of a nation as "good" or "evil" seems to defy ready classification.

But,

Quote:
We are the world in small. A nation is a human thing. It does what we do, for our reasons.

--The Lion in Winter, James Goldman

The "final solution" was evil. "Ethnic cleansing" was evil. But are Germany and Serbia evil? Were they evil at the time? Does conferral of power on an individual or a group mean that the citizenry becomes culpable for their leaders' wrongdoing? I have a hard time with that sort of ethical calculus.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 12:56 am

ruveyn wrote:
The needs of the many must give way to the needs of the one or a few.

I believe the proper quote (at least, if you're a Star Trek fan) is, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Which, of course, means the opposite of what you said.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 2:31 am

Chevand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The needs of the many must give way to the needs of the one or a few.

I believe the proper quote (at least, if you're a Star Trek fan) is, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Which, of course, means the opposite of what you said.

I'm pretty sure ruveyn was being sarcastic, it's hard to take anyone seriously who would sincerely make a reference to star trek in a political conversation, and I would find it extremely disturbing if I ever discovered an elected official mentioned star trek in their official capacity.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 3:00 am

No.

jamesofthecommons
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2011, 1:41 am

greengeek wrote:
Do you think that the United States is evil? I call the United States evil, as they can get away with things that other countries can't get away with. An example of that are medical experiments conducted without the populations knowledge or consent. They did things that the Japanese and Germans did and didn't even compensate or tell the victims. I also call the United States evil as the government can get away with abusing it's citizens, and making it harder for people to get evidence and a fair trial against them.

No this nation is not evil. This nation,both the government and the people,have committed some very evil acts,and we hold ceartain sociopolitical ideas/values which cause us to be prone to commit ''evil'' acts. Fortunately,values and ideals can be changed over time,and thus,America,though we may see some very dark days ahead, will ,''I believe'' continue to evolve into a truely great nation.

Ultimately,what makes,and will make America a great nation, is our ongoing struggle against the internal forces of repression and enslavement. :)

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

jamesofthecommons wrote:
greengeek wrote:
Do you think that the United States is evil? I call the United States evil, as they can get away with things that other countries can't get away with. An example of that are medical experiments conducted without the populations knowledge or consent. They did things that the Japanese and Germans did and didn't even compensate or tell the victims. I also call the United States evil as the government can get away with abusing it's citizens, and making it harder for people to get evidence and a fair trial against them.

No this nation is not evil. This nation,both the government and the people,have committed some very evil acts,and we hold ceartain sociopolitical ideas/values which cause us to be prone to commit ''evil'' acts. Fortunately,values and ideals can be changed over time,and thus,America,though we may see some very dark days ahead, will ,''I believe'' continue to evolve into a truely great nation.

Ultimately,what makes,and will make America a great nation, is our ongoing struggle against the internal forces of repression and enslavement. :)

so far, during the human experience, no nation holds a candle to us in that regard

especially not France, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, or Germany.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

I read somewhere on a stereotype website, that apparently americans tell their kids to "have fun", whereas at the very least for the french, they tell them to "be good/nice/not cause trouble". :roll:

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

phil777 wrote:
I read somewhere on a stereotype website, that apparently americans tell their kids to "have fun", whereas at the very least for the french, they tell them to "be good/nice/not cause trouble". :roll:

well next to fast, easy, and cheap, fun is one of our national values.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 11:22 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
jamesofthecommons wrote:
greengeek wrote:

so far, during the human experience, no nation holds a candle to us in that regard

especially not France, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, or Germany.

Spain, Italy, Austria, and Germany have a tarnished track record. Sweden sold out when it came time for them to stand up for freedom.

-Sigmund Freud

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

I'm not going to vote, because it's not that simple. However, I do not think highly of our government, or of our people even.

Americans are militant, spiteful, ignorant, egotistical, self-righteous, pseudo-spiritual, materialistic, vain, authoritarian, etc. Not all of them, but based on my studies of Gallup, upwards of 60-70% of them.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

I consider US as a whole to be the country equivalent of a sociopath.

Please note that I do not believe sociopaths are evil. They are just completely unable to feel any sort of empathy at all and have no conscience. That's how US looks like to me.

"Let's fill the south with terrible dictators just because we are so afraid of left having success there!" Great idea.

Really, don't be surprised if you find out there is more resentment against the US in south America than in the Arab world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Vexcalibur wrote:

Please note that I do not believe sociopaths are evil. They are just completely unable to feel any sort of empathy at all and have no conscience. That's how US looks like to me.

Empathy and $3.61 will buy a large coffee and a plain donut at the local donut shop.

ruveyn

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

I think China is the good guys...

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 5:40 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Empathy and $3.61 will buy a large coffee and a plain donut at the local donut shop.

ruveyn

Whoa, your doughnut shop is expensive!

-Sigmund Freud