Whost else thinks cremation should be banned?

Page 7 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2011, 8:30 pm

MONKEY wrote:
The person should decide for themselves what they want done with themselves while they're still alive, nothing should be banned. And once someone's dead it doesn't matter what they do, it's not like they're aware of it and I hiiighly doubt once you're dead you'd go "ew" at being buried or burnt.
Because you're dead.

I want my corpse to be vaporized by a thermonuclear weapon.

Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:34 pm

The only place they have a case for banning it outright is Israel. People there were very upset when someone opened a crematorium there a while ago. Otherwise it is a matter of personal choice.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:37 pm

If cremation is evil and Satanic, does that mean the "Christians" who burnt witches back in the day were actually evil Satanists?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:40 pm

I would support recycling human bodies by turning them into compost. Graveyards, cremmation, etc are all a waste of space and resources based on silly superstition - specially graveyards. Pretty sure there are tons of more effective ways to use all that space..

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:46 pm

"We sent Grampa to the dirt farm..."

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 9:10 pm

When I die I want to either have my body frozen like Walt Disney so that my body will be preserved or have my body instantly vaporized using a vacuum furnace or something similar so that my body will break down into individual molecules and it will be like it never existed. Either option sounds better than having my body rot in a box in the ground or having my body burned to ashes and left to sit in an urn. I don't care what other people choose to do though. I'd just prefer to have my body either preserved and unmutilated or vaporized as if it never existed.

AspieRoss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

In one of my first English classes in college, we read a paper on the embalming process.
This is the worst way to "honor" the dead person, since they suck out the fluids, stuff with padding and preservatives, sew the mouth closed (and eyes sometimes), it's really gross and an insult to the dead.
*Now in the case of an autopsy, that is different if it is deemed necessary to find out why the person died or who killed them.

I originally wanted to be cremated because it's so much cheaper and less disturbing. (only $900 in my state)
However, recently I heard about the "Natural Burial" movement in the US (currently not allowed in my state).
Natural burials are just that, a hole is dug in the woods, the persons (Non-embalmbed) body is placed in the hole with a fabric cover and then the person is buried as usual (I think they don't bury quite as far down as in normal burials). The person's body naturally decomposes into the ground, just like people used to be buried!

Embalming fluids are highly toxic, and end up leaching through the coffin/cement casing and into the ground water.
Also, embalmed bodies do NOT decompose properly. It's just a really disgusting process.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

In a country that advocates separation of Church and State, what possible grounds would there be for outlawing cremation? There are none I can imagine.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm

AspieRoss wrote:
In one of my first English classes in college, we read a paper on the embalming process.
This is the worst way to "honor" the dead person, since they suck out the fluids, stuff with padding and preservatives, sew the mouth closed (and eyes sometimes), it's really gross and an insult to the dead.
*Now in the case of an autopsy, that is different if it is deemed necessary to find out why the person died or who killed them.

I haven't read a lot about embalming but I thing it's pretty gross.

I also think tv has been lying to me and misleading me. How many sci-fi fantasy shows show vampires rising from their graves where people who thought they were dead had buried them? Does no one in Sunnydale get embalmed? Surely embalming would kill a not yet risen vampire.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm

I have heard the eyes of corpses are glued shut, not sewn.
One of the reasons for embalming is that it prevents "dead" people waking up six feet under. I'm sure you've heard stories of people waking up in the morgue? It does happen occasionally even today, and exhumed bodies have also been found with the interior of the casket scratched to bits.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:50 pm

hanyo wrote:
I also think tv has been lying to me and misleading me. How many sci-fi fantasy shows show vampires rising from their graves where people who thought they were dead had buried them? Does no one in Sunnydale get embalmed? Surely embalming would kill a not yet risen vampire.

:D I think vampires are reanimated by unholy magicks, so it might not need intact organs. Do they feed off nutrients in blood or the life force of the victim carried in the blood? Maybe they'd have to use holy water in the embalming process to keep 'em down.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
One of the reasons for embalming is that it prevents "dead" people waking up six feet under. I'm sure you've heard stories of people waking up in the morgue? It does happen occasionally even today, and exhumed bodies have also been found with the interior of the casket scratched to bits.

That's not a good reason to embalm. Then instead of waking up in their coffin they would get killed by the embalming process.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm

YippySkippy wrote:

Sounds like a better argument for "no coffin, shallow grave" than embalming. Maybe throw in a breathing tube for good measure. Oh, except insects might crawl down the tube. Only thing worse I could imagine than waking up in a coffin would be waking up buried under a couple feet of dirt, only to find your lungs slowly filling with fire ants. No thanks! I'll skip the breathing tube.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

YippySkippy wrote:

That's a pretty good reason to become cremated, I sure as heck wouldn't want to buried with the possibility of that happening, unless they put a cell phone in there with me, so I could call my family and the cemetery caretakers. The phone should have a high capacity battery, because I don't want to be in the same predicament as Ryan Reynolds in the movie Buried. Heck, maybe I'll keep that regular battery, sounds like a better story to sell.

If not that, then just pour a vat of sulfuric acid into my casket.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 1:00 pm

Some wealthy Victorians had bells installed at the surface, with a pull-cord running down into the casket. Just in case.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 1:04 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Some wealthy Victorians had bells installed at the surface, with a pull-cord running down into the casket. Just in case.

I bet the Undertaking profession was a lot more interesting back then. Must've been stressful, wondering whether the rich bell ringer should be saved from a horrible death, or if it was just another vampire/zombie trying to lure you into releasing them.