Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 9:04 am

This Thursday, my college campus will be holding a free HIV/AIDS testing for its students (it actually does this very often). My Biology professor told us that she'd give us extra credit if we went and got tested, which I am seriously considering doing. I've never had sex or used drugs, though, so I'm already pretty certain of what the results will be. I'm doing it for the extra credit, and because I think it will be a learning experience.

Has anyone ever done this before? Is there anybody who has gotten tested just for extra credit or for experience while having nothing to worry about?

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

Not sure if this counts, but I get tested automatically every time I donate blood.

Also, most screening tests are non-invasive (eg saliva), they usually only take blood if the initial screening test is reactive - so you probably don't have any needles to worry about.

I hope this helps...

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

Yes, I have been tested. It is no big deal, some tests these days don't even require drawing blood! Of course you may experience a tiny bit of anxiety while you are waiting for the test results, even if you're sure you have nothing to worry about. At least that's what happens to me. :)

However I have to say I have some ethical questions about your teacher. An HIV test should be a very private thing between you and your doctor. It seems strange that your teacher is using it to determine your grade in the class.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

HIV/AIDS screening is standard for pregnant women, so I've been tested twice.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

mushroo wrote:
However I have to say I have some ethical questions about your teacher. An HIV test should be a very private thing between you and your doctor. It seems strange that your teacher is using it to determine your grade in the class.

I would think that to get the extra credit, you'd only need proof that you completed the test, not what your results actually were.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

Yes, I've been tested, a long time ago. Wasn't for credit though!

The year is still young.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Megz wrote:
mushroo wrote:

I would think that to get the extra credit, you'd only need proof that you completed the test, not what your results actually were.

My assumption was the same. Even so, I personally would have issues with a teacher who offered a better grade in the class if I subject myself to a medical procedure (of any type). I appreciate the teacher's sentiment, but not the method.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

I'm wondering what educational purpose this serves for a Biology class.

I've taught college-level Chemistry. I didn't suggest my students go clean up the lavatories with bleach so they could experience the joys of airborne sodium hypochlorite. :roll:

It's beneficial to have proper cleanliness in the lav as it might be to get tested for HIV if you're sexually active. But it hardly merits a prof wasting classroom time, much less giving extra credit.

I'm much too old for this to have been an issue when I was in college, but if it had come up I'd be wondering why my Biology prof wanted to punish students who were sensible about health matters and why he/she thought it was a good idea to waste medical resources and people's time like that. That HIV test is free to you. It isn't free. Someone somewhere is paying for it.

If all the prof did was mention hey you know it might be a good idea, well, ok. But extra credit?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

I have donated blood occasionally, and I'm clean. My blood type is A+.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

i've been tested _X_ times. the full battery of STI/STD tests should be the standard procedure after each new partner (important to retest after 6 months also). the chance of infection is very small when safe practices are maintained but infection can still happen. did i keep my answer vague enough to keep this thread in Random?

my cousin died of AIDS. :cry:

EmiliaL: it's an incentive. not much educational value, but it gets those college students tested because they are a very high risk category for STIs/STDs in general.

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

I've been tested before during my time in the military.

It doesn't matter that the first letter of AIDS stands for Acquired, and I am both a virgin and not a drug user, but standard military policy is always standard military policy.

Had a idiot sergeant medic who poked 3 times without finding the vein, before a private in the background got pissed off, came over and did it properly. Thereafter, the medic left the syringe stuck in my air supported by nothing but the reaction force from the inside of my vein for 2-3 seconds while he was doing something else.

Can't say it was a good experience, but certainly, medical procedures outside the military are usually performed by people with some clue of what they're doing. The amount of blood they'll require for comprehensive testing fills a small syringe, doesn't take too long or anything.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 2:18 am

I've been tested, it always comes back as negative. It's always great to know your status.. even if you haven't been exposed to those situations.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 4:10 am

I've been tested once. I donated blood(which was a HORRIBLE experience BTW) and received a card in the mail to expedite future donations. I won't donate again, but it's cool to know my status.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 4:12 am

for the decades i worked for uncle sam in military hospitals, i got tested regularly for various nasty little hummers. we were subject to unpredictable needle/sharp injuries as an occupational hazard- for example, a surgeon in the O.R. once tossed a scalpel back onto my mayo tray, barely avoiding my fingers. she had a screw loose somewhere. there were also transient patients in from the ER with unknown HIV/other status, and universal precautions is not an impregnable shield from accidental sharps punctures. luckily i never caught anything other than bad flubugs from sick people who shoulda just stayed the hell HOME that day. :roll:

Humperdinck
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

Yes.

i am a regular blood doner so they do a full screan every every time i donate (although i can't donate ever agin now).

I am also parinoid about std's and aids and have a full screen every 6 months and i get my partner and myself to have a full screan before any unprotected sex.

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
luckily i never caught anything other than bad flubugs from sick people who shoulda just stayed the hell HOME that day. :roll:

I really hate those 'heroes' who do that. They not only get themselves sick, but take the whole platoon down with them.

People really should learn to keep their germs to themselves.