Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 4:58 pm

why do the terminators (and human) travel in time naked? i have a theory, but i wanted to see your opinions first

*SERIOUS opinions, not anything silly/funny

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

It was explained in the first movie that only living tissue as in organic can come through the time machine but nothing else like fabric(clothing) and metal(weapons) can come through.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

According to Reese in the first movie, "nothing dead will go."

I doubt Cameron thought much about it, though. Our bodies are covered with lots of dead skin, and the skeletons of the terminators are dead, so I guess all you would have to do to time travel with some clothes or weapons is cover them with some kind of biological matter. Let's just act like Reese does when someone starts asking too many questions: "I DIDN'T BUILD THE F***ING THING!"

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

Jory wrote:

I doubt Cameron thought much about it, though. Our bodies are covered with lots of dead skin, and the skeletons of the terminators are dead, so I guess all you would have to do to time travel with some clothes or weapons is cover them with some kind of biological matter. Let's just act like Reese does when someone starts asking too many questions: "I DIDN'T BUILD THE F***ING THING!"

:lmao: Classic.

Arnold to Linda Hamilton in T2: "Come with me if you want to live."

Arnold to Mildred the maid in RL: "Live with me if you want to come."

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

They needed an excuse to show off Arnold's body.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 5:52 pm

In the future they don't wear clothes because all hang ups about nudity have been eradicated, hurrah!

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

They were in the middle of a war in the future. Where in hell were they going to find a bunch of 80's clothes to dress in? Far easier to go back naked and improvise. :lol:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 6:06 pm

I figured it was plot device to explain why the terminator didn't just bring a ray-gun (or an H-bomb) with him and just vaporize anyone who got in his way. Would've made for a short movie.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:
They were in the middle of a war in the future. Where in hell were they going to find a bunch of 80's clothes to dress in? Far easier to go back naked and improvise. :lol:

Absolutely. The Terminator is already socially awkward enough, but in true 80's style he fits right in.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 8:00 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:

Surely Skynet would have preserved thousands of sets of deelyboppers and ra ra skirts and lacy fingerless gloves

What kind of superior being would have no care for the preservation of history and culture?

Arnie would have looked great in that.

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

Jory wrote:

One would presume any dead skin on the surface might vaporize when the person went through the time machine. And the Terminator's skeleton was covered with real living tissue. But that still doesn't explain how the T-1000 and the T-X went through when they were presumably made of liquid metal, with no organic components.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

IDontGetIt wrote:

Or maybe they thought Sarah Connor liked muscular naked men. They didn't have much information on her, except that she gave birth to John Connor, savior of mankind. Obviously she only goes for the best 8)