an opinion poll to help me understand and share opinions

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

do you believe you are damaged by vaccines?
yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 91%  91%  [ 20 ]
other 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 22

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

i have recently joined autism speaks forums to try and spread neurodiversity and combat miss-perceptions of autism. i want to take a poll. it will help inform me of what people want and i can use it as proof that autistics do in fact want the things i am trying to convince them of. so i have some opinions about our stance here. i would also be welcome to hear more detailed comments if you have time to give them. i really want no bashing, also keep comments in laymans terms and don't make references to things that people won't understand without explaining. other than ground rules feel free to say whatever. thank you. lastly, sorry i forgot, stay on topic.

this is the first of probably many polls like this. this one is on vaccines, a sensitive issue on this site. i do not endorse anti vaccine stance. that is precisely what i expect the poll to prove. mods please hear me out on this one, i am not trying to promote or attack any organization on this post. i am trying to gather info on how many people approve or disapprove of vaccines so that i can show others the data. i understand that this is a issue that is likely to set people off but it is pressing and needs to be discussed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

Aside from a little bruising and a drop of blood, not at all!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

No, I do not believe I was damaged by vaccines. I agree with Fnord on this.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm

it has been PROVEN that vaccines do not cause autism. anyone who understands the least little bit of science knows that.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:42 pm

well 100-0 i think my case that most autistics don't think much of anti-vaccination is comin together fine

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2011, 10:07 pm

I took other since neither stance can be proven norr dis-proven.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:11 pm

Looks good so far; no one has said "yes."

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm

i wouldn't consider this a valid poll until i had more people participating.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm

Well considering the researcher was caught fabricating results for the research relating Autism to vaccines, I think it's a safe bet no-one informed enough would still believe that BS.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 12:09 am

Here is one study that suggests that rubella vaccinations actually help to prevent ASD's in children, because of the association seen between ASD's and congenital rubella syndrome.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/340

Some children in the general population do get sick after vaccinations, and some autistic children have gotten sick after vaccinations, with some parents seeing significance in the vaccine and their child getting sick rather than realizing their child already had autism, and is one of the individuals in the population that do happen to get sick after getting vaccinated.

Unfortunately, it is hard to convince some of the parents that their children were born with autism and did not acquire it through an illness or the vaccination itself.

It's part of the reason why research is important, to help people understand that it is likely that autism happens in the prenatal environment not the post natal environment.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 10:31 am

aghogday wrote:
Here is one study that suggests that rubella vaccinations actually help to prevent ASD's in children, because of the association seen between ASD's and congenital rubella syndrome.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/11/340

Some children in the general population do get sick after vaccinations, and some autistic children have gotten sick after vaccinations, with some parents seeing significance in the vaccine and their child getting sick rather than realizing their child already had autism, and is one of the individuals in the population that do happen to get sick after getting vaccinated.

Unfortunately, it is hard to convince some of the parents that their children were born with autism and did not acquire it through an illness or the vaccination itself.

It's part of the reason why research is important, to help people understand that it is likely that autism happens in the prenatal environment not the post natal environment.

idk where autism happens. my dad and mom have traits so i think they just combined right to make me more severe than they were.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:33 pm

aghogday wrote:

Wherever it happens the development is first seen during the first stages of life and becomes more apparent as a child ages only because the expected development doesn't occur. This would indicated a genetic cause.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

No, I am pretty sure the fact that I almost strangled myself to death with the birth cord before I was born did more damage than any vaccinations.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Wherever it happens the development is first seen during the first stages of life and becomes more apparent as a child ages only because the expected development doesn't occur. This would indicated a genetic cause.

Or regress around the same age when they get their MMR. This it seems is why parents put 2 and 2 together and somehow reach 985.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

Gedrene wrote:
aghogday wrote:

This is precisely why some parents believed their children's autism was caused by a vaccine rather than a genetic cause. When their children became sick after taking the vaccine early in childhood, the developmental delays became apparent to the parent at that point in time, so they connected the vaccine as the cause of the disorder instead of a biological or prenatal/perinatal determined disorder.

And again, this why research is important so they will gain a better understanding of the origin of the disorder. It is also why recent research that has led to earlier screening methods of autistic children at age 1 is important, so they will be identified as having autism before they have a vaccination, that may lead a parent to believe the vaccination caused the autism rather than biological or prenatal/perinatal factors.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm

I think the theory has already planted the seeds leading to it's own demise. Where I live there have have been several scary outbreaks of whopping cough, and it is infants who die from it, those two young to get vaccinated. People are seeing the cost a lot more clearly, as a result, and social forces are pushing strongly against the bad science in vaccine-autism theory. Rather interesting to watch, if it hadn't had to come at such a high price. You don't get much more earthy crunchy granola than this area, but if don't vaccinate, you no longer get any social support.