Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 26 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Adam_Raki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2013, 4:52 am

This would be AWESOME!! ! An excellent idea! :)
I think we are a "bunch" of people now waiting for more information like date and place :)

BTW is there anyone here knowing if this project will become concrete soon?
Can we give to Alex a hand? How?

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2013, 8:29 am

KenG wrote:
ChromaticRaven wrote:
Wow, this sounds like a cool event :) I'd love to go, though living in Norway, making my way out there seems sort of out of sight :/
Making your way to where?
To the theoretical Wrong Planet conference, in Los Angeles? (which will not happen in the foreseeable future...)
Or to the very real Autreat, in Pennsylvania? (5-9 August, 2013)
Or to the very real Autscape, in England? (6-9 August, 2013)

From what i first read it seemed like it was to be in L.A only, but that was just the first post about this - so it seems like there have been some changes then, according to what you just wrote. Since it's to be set in England chances that i might be able to go are slightly higher :) Good to know - thnx for sharing info.

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2013, 3:36 am

Stick my neck out here and say place should be very secondary to the idea, which is brilliant - Alex, pick a hotel and we can all sell various organs to get there :twisted: I would, willingly!

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2013, 4:42 am

I wouldn't need to :D Just looking into this, I was thinking of Vagas!

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2013, 9:09 am

Is there any news on this topic? Has a date been set for the event?

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

irene wrote:
Is there any news on this topic? Has a date been set for the event?
A date for the Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival?
Not yet. I'm not expecting it to happen in the near future.
However, there are two other conferences/retreats which are also organised by Aspies/Autistics:
Autreat, in Pennsylvania, will be taking place next month (5-9 August), near Pittsburgh:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt226674.html
Autscape, in England, will also be taking place next month (6-9 August), near Leeds:

http://www.autscape.org/

glow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 4:45 pm

Anyone who would want to start up a business in the recession we've got is stupid as most people including centres don't even have the backing to support their own funds.

I am thinking that people ought to be aware of the 'stable' if not early picture of life as it is because no amount of human ambition is gonna solve one persons case studies or dilemmas

Hold a meeting where everyone can be aware of their own potential and not just nimble ideals to fill the time.

akar4
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

glow wrote:
Anyone who would want to start up a business in the recession we've got is stupid as most people including centres don't even have the backing to support their own funds.

I am thinking that people ought to be aware of the 'stable' if not early picture of life as it is because no amount of human ambition is gonna solve one persons case studies or dilemmas

Hold a meeting where everyone can be aware of their own potential and not just nimble ideals to fill the time.

We started a business 2 yrs ago and it's thriving. We have no debt and have turned small profits both years, with sales increasing by about 30% each year. Many businesses are thriving right now. Be aware of shadows, but walk in the light...

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm

If we can make it in Colorado I would LOVE to be a part of helping to put together an autistic festival. I am detail oriented, love planning and am a great cook.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:49 am

Also, if I could get some type of official WP identification, I am excellent at getting donations [i n merchandise] from stores and restaurants. So, alex, Ken? Let's get this going!

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:01 am

Do you think we could get the shriners to help with airfare? Also, I was wondering if we could get the lions club, jaycees, etc to sponsor in some way. And Alex, humble man that you are, are you aware that you have the connections to get the word out BIGTIME.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 2:55 am

vickygleitz wrote:
If we can make it in Colorado I would LOVE to be a part of helping to put together an autistic festival.
At the moment, the WP conference/festival seems to be on hold.
However, another aspie-run conference/retreat, Autreat, is taking place next week, in Pennsylvania:

Ian drives from New Mexico to Autreat every summer:
http://ianology.wordpress.com/2012/07/1 ... and-happy/
Perhaps you can go to Autreat with him next summer?

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:14 am

Ken, so, why is it on hold? I see no reasons that it should remain on hold. I have a 19 year old autistic son, who, because of co-morbidities, one of them being horrific pain that the neurologist termed "the most pain humanly possible" that used to cause him to pass out from the pain hundreds of times a day [I have given birth to 5 babies, and trust me, it physically hurt, but NEVER once did I pass out from the pain. For the first time in seven years he has periods being pain-free.

As for me, I am also autistic and I am undergoing treatment for a particularly aggressive breast cancer. My son is actually looking at a chance to have a good life. He needs my support as long as possible. Plus, he has been isolated so long with his illness and now that he is capable of making friends [he so wants friends] he is shunned by NORMLS.

i have checked out groups in our area, they are either for people under 18 or else they are all so much older. I want my son to have hope for a life. A gathering of our own people would give him that hope.

So, precisely WHY is it on hold? when Alex first announced it 2 YEARS AGO, he said nothing about someday, somewhere. He came across with a "let's do it" attitude. do we need volunteers? I gladly volunteer as much as my health allows. There are others who offered to help when the threads was new. Could they not be approached? Could we not ask GRASP for assistance as well? Can we just not DO this?

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

Ken, possibly YOU could put together the website. Alex, who already had connections, now has more since he originally presented the idea. could definitely use some of those connections to obtain funding and spread awareness of the event. Here in Colorado, there are many church camps in the mountains who rent out their facilities from time to time. that could be perfect.
I am by no means averse to Las Vegas, Florida, or Hollywood, but we would need to assure that our more sensory affected people are protected. I think that is possible but it would take a large ammount of consideration and planning.
Oh, and I cannot go to Autreat this year for a variety of reasons, only one of them being financial.
I would love to hear from both you and Alex, not on why we can't, but how we CAN.
BTW, classes I would love to attend; dating, romance and marraige, self-employment, and how to put together a permanent community for those on the spectrum which could serve as a model arround the world.

Granny Aspie [even at my advanced age I stim more than ever]

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:55 am

vickygleitz wrote:
Ken, so, why is it on hold?
Because whoever suggested it has a lot to learn from the people who run Autreat.
vickygleitz wrote:
I have a 19 year old autistic son
vickygleitz wrote:
For the first time in seven years he has periods being pain-free
I'm glad he is getting better.
vickygleitz wrote:
I am also autistic and I am undergoing treatment for a particularly aggressive breast cancer
I hope the treatment succeeds and you regain your health.
vickygleitz wrote:
i have checked out groups in our area, they are either for people under 18 or else they are all so much older
Have you tried contacting GRASP's support group in Denver?
http://grasp.org/page/grasp-support-group-denver-co
Have you tried contacting the Denver Autism Asperger's Syndrome Mix?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DAASM-De ... 6629405673
vickygleitz wrote:
I want my son to have hope for a life. A gathering of our own people would give him that hope
The only gathering in North America is Autreat, in Pennsylvania. People travel to Autreat from as far as California, Oregon, England and Japan.
vickygleitz wrote:
do we need volunteers?
Only if someone volunteers to be the main organizer.
vickygleitz wrote:
Could we not ask GRASP for assistance as well?
GRASP are planning a gathering of our own people, but the location and dates are yet to be announced.
vickygleitz wrote:
BTW, classes I would love to attend; dating, romance and marraige, self-employment, and how to put together a permanent community for those on the spectrum which could serve as a model arround the world
A permanent community for those on the spectrum is currently being built by Ian in New Mexico -
http://ianology.wordpress.com/2012/01/2 ... e-cristos/

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm

Because of my health I could not be the main organizer. Alex as you know first announced [not suggested] it and hopefully he could delegate [plus, as i mentioned earlier, he has tons of connections]

Some Autistics are what I think of as introverted/extroverts or extroverted introverts, which, I realize is a bit of a paradox. I include myself in that group, and as long as I had a room to escape to I would be fine in Las Vegas.[as a matter of fact I would like to wear a smily -face ribbon signifying, yes, iI would LOVE a hug!] For many, though, that would be one of the worst places in the world. And those many need to be included.

I have been reading about Jim Sullivan[?] lately and how he first put together Autreat. Pretty fascinating. Then I read about the creation of Autscape, which, just from the information I have gleaned, seems like an improvement on Autreat. I could easily be perceiving this inacurately but it appears to be more compromise oriented.

Much studying of both Autreat and Autscape is neccesary. What Alex has proposed sounds AWESOME, but, it wold have to be on a large enough scale that there is plenty of space to occupy bOTH what Alex has proposed AND a LARGE peaceful, quiet, fragrance free area[NOT one or 2 rooms]

This would take money; lots of it. Much more than Alex has proposed. I have one, and only one connection to a group that awards grants to worthy causes[would we need the umbrella of a non-profit organization] but I know she would only be interested if there were already some organization and other interested donors.

Do you know Alex on a personal level where you could speak to him about such things? And would you? Could we receive advice from Autreat attendees and organizers? If so, i would LOVE to be part of the planning commitee.[BTW, some people have suggested different locations in Texas, and though I love Colorado, Texas is a great central location. A large campus anywhere that is closed for the summer and willing to rent space at a fair rate ANYWHERE would be ideal. Shall I go ahead and start making queries or would I be wasting my time?