Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm

I just read this on the homepage of www.autism-india.org wanted to share it -

Quote:
Connecting Autism
Autism remains a Janus of psychology and biology. In the autistic brain, many distinct genetic and environmental factors converge and synergise to influence the strength of connections between brain cells. These small variations in neural connectivity can lead to autism when they combine in large amounts. But some of the same genetic variations that lead to autism can also confer cognitive differences that can produce aptitude for science and engineering. The study of autism and its causes, then, is inseparable from the study of human cognitive diversity and its determinants. Progress in understanding autism will depend on making connections between biology and psychology, between genes, brains, and environment, and between autistic and non-autistic people.

A talk by Matthew Belmonte, Fulbright-Nehru Scholar & Assistant Professor, Cornell University
(1 November 2011 at 6:30 pm, Gulmohar Hall, India Habitat Centre)

This has some things that I've felt/believed for some time now. What do you guys feel about it?

How do NTs do that?

Last edited by Dhawal on 17 Nov 2011, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 12:22 am

Makes sense to me, in general I believe he is right.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 12:48 am

I found another article by Matthew Belmonte. Made sense to me again.
http://www.autism-india.org/apr10.pdf (page 2)

How do NTs do that?

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 3:35 am

Dhawal wrote:
I just read this on the homepage of www.autism-india.org wanted to share it -

Quote:
Connecting Autism
Autism remains a Janus of psychology and biology. In the autistic brain, many distinct genetic and environmental factors converge and synergise to influence the strength of connections between brain cells. These small variations in neural connectivity can lead to autism when they combine in large amounts. But some of the same genetic variations that lead to autism can also confer cognitive differences that can produce aptitude for science and engineering. The study of autism and its causes, then, is inseparable from the study of human cognitive diversity and its determinants. Progress in understanding autism will depend on making connections between biology and psychology, between genes, brains, and environment, and between autistic and non-autistic people.

A talk by Matthew Belmonte, Fulbright-Nehru Scholar & Assistant Professor, Cornell University
(1 November 2011 at 6:30 pm, Gulmohar Hall, India Habitat Centre)

This has some things that I've felt/believed for some time now. What do you guys feel about it?

That is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

very nice. we need more of this.