Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mrkalani
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

When I was going through my diagnosis my AS psych said it seems to him that I have Avoidant personality disorder, But at the end of the session diagnosed me with mild aspergers , Which I agree with. But I also think I may have a personality disorder like avoidance, Since I avoid the hell out of everything. But can it be both? Cant Aspergers be the reason why iam like this or is it also a personality disorder? Does it make sense that someone with AS can have a personality disorder aswell? Or isnt it just the aspergers that makes my personality?

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

There is an incredibly famous woman by the name of A.J. Mahari, who has Borderline Personality Disorder (claims recovered) and has Aspergers. She has a lot of info on the web for both and you can listen to some of the talks for free. Google her name and there are a few sites dedicated to her. I can't post links yet. The top two Google responses should be good.

Also, I had Borderline Personality Disorder and Schizotypal PD, caused by misunderstanding and mistreating my Asperger's. I've since recovered from my personality disorders, but what I am and do now is in some ways worse than having a PD.... [because PDs are changeable, autism is how the brain is physically (changeability is possible, not as easy as going to therapy tho)] One positive side is that through therapy and DBT (and working with the public all my life) is that I can pass for NT very easily. It's only under stress that my traits come out and when they do, they can trigger latent BPD tendencies (which I've been told never completely go away, the causes for PDs can still remain and cause them to re-emerge); this is much worse than if I just displayed Aspie traits. In conclusion, it is a good idea to continue treatment psychologically for personality disorders, even if the behaviors change, because one may need support as well. Having both AS and a comorbid condition such as a personality disorder (and some people have Bipolar and Aspergers, for example) is actually quite common.

If I could post links I'd share what I've found recently since I've been researching this very topic.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

Quote:
The top two Google responses should be good.

Google's # 1 response is her website:

http://ajmahari.com/

Google's # 2 response:

http://borderlinepersonality.ca/

Hope that helps :) I was told I might have BPD but I am still not sure if I do or not. I don't think I do though.