Why there is so much conflict(?)in the forums here?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2011, 3:54 am

Many posts about suicide counteract with many posts of loving life.Many posts of solitude counteract with many posts of being depressed because of loniless etc...

(?)i don't know if it is the correct word.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:17 am

Lots of people for whom very little changes. All feeling hard done by. All looking for someone to blame, or at least to get some satisfaction from flaming

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2011, 4:21 am

? i mean different answers

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:47 am

Im guilty of both posts!! =/
I dont know what it is with people, but isnt it better with people posting and asking for help with their difficult life issues like suicide and depression than keeping it in and actually acting on these thoughts? Then maybe when they come through the other side they can be able to post happy things about life?

Now that i have a cloud off my back I know i will be posting a lot more positive stuff on the forums

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2011, 7:09 am

Because people only post when they are feeling sad, happy or curious about something. You never see posts that say "today was uneventful, stay tuned for tommorows story" also, aspies are not all the same, we have our differences, just like every one else.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 8:10 am

It's because there are over 50000 people here and not everybody agrees on the same issues. Some of us embrace our autism and our differences and other people with that they were NT.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 8:48 am

Where there are humans, there is conflict.

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2011, 10:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's because there are over 50000 people here and not everybody agrees on the same issues. Some of us embrace our autism and our differences and other people with that they were NT.

This.

Plus, if there were no conflict, this forum would not be as interesting to some. EVERY online forum has some form of conflict, for the reasons CockneyRebel listed.

I had a unique opportunity recently to create a message board for a passionate topic (unions for actors) because of the problems it was causing on an active board. I made it absolutely plain that fighting was allowed, and no one could tell anyone else how to post. The result - no one stuck around, not even the ones that complained about too many regulations on them at the previous board. My conclusion - fighting was only fun online when they could "bend the rules" - no rules to bend, no fun.

Officially diagnosed autistic. September 2023, suspected since 2010.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:30 am

Because there is at least one person who posts here.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:34 am

JohnyJohn wrote:
Many posts about suicide counteract with many posts of loving life.Many posts of solitude counteract with many posts of being depressed because of loniless etc...

(?)i don't know if it is the correct word.

Because we're part of the human condition and human experience here--just like our neurologically typical sibs.
More importantly, this is one place on the Web where it's safe for aspies to feel.

plantwhisperer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

Huh....That's interesting. My perception is that there is a very low level of conflict on this forum. Different perspectives, yes. Different life experiences, yes. Different stages in life, certainly.
Perhaps, I'm just not going to the same forum branches on here. But apart from some regular fiestiness on the Autism Politics, etc. forum; I really haven't run across much conflict.

I was a regular poster on one board that I left years ago, because of unregulated verbal aggression of some of the younger members.
In 2004, I just suggested that Barack Obama could be our first African American president. I was called every name in the book of offensive names: crazy, idiot, moron, fool etc...
And that wasn't even the incident that caused me to leave.

To me this board seems like a really safe place.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 1:20 pm

In a NUTshell:

Most of us are ASD, suck at communication, and misinterpret a lot of things said. That's bound to cause conflicts. It does happen here more than other forums I'm on.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

08 Dec 2011, 1:23 pm

Because that's life.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:06 pm

I see worse bickering on things like Yahoo Answers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Many posts about suicide counteract with many posts of loving life. Many posts of solitude counteract with many posts of being depressed because of loniless etc... (?)i don't know if it is the correct word.

Did you ever notice that post about suicide and posts of a loving life are never made by the same person? Same for posts of solitude v. loneliness.

My point is that members here present a broad range of situations and their feelings about them. The "conflict" you perceive is really no conflict at all - only posts by different people on different topics, that's all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm

Rax wrote:
Because people only post when they are feeling sad, happy or curious about something. You never see posts that say "today was uneventful, stay tuned for tommorows story" also, aspies are not all the same, we have our differences, just like every one else.

That's exactly what I was thinking.