Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 2:39 pm

I hate pretty much anything that lets me see or hear myself, each with a different degree.

Microphones
I can tolerate them fairly well, as long as they're connected to nothing but speakers. My voice sounds pretty bad when played through any audio equipment, but I taught myself to ignore it. After all, my voice simply passes through the wires, leaves the speakers as sound waves, and disappears forever without being captured.

Mirrors:
I see them as a necessary evil. Everytime I see myself into one, it reminds me of how ugly I am. At the same time, if there were no mirrors, I wouldn't be able to make myself look at least somewhat presentable, such as through shaving, combing my hair, etc. Again, since mirrors don't capture my image, I don't mind them.

Voice Recorders:
I hate them with a passion. I can't even stand the way my voice sounds on the voicemail greeting sounds on the office phone. My friend (who is now an ex-friend) used to record my voice with his Pocket PC and play it back, just to watch me frantically trying to grab it out of his hands. I especially hate voice recorders, unless I'm the one holding it and even then, I only use it for recording something brief, like my parking space number.

Photo Cameras:
Something I can put up with, but would rather do without, except in some specific situations. Even though I'm slightly above the ugly mark in real life, I look totally nasty in photos, not to mention extremely tense. So whenever someone pulls out a camera, I cringe. The only exceptions is when I'm drunk. Then I pose with a big smile on my face while putting my arms around the girls next to me (I'm male). One of the few photos of myself that I actually like were taken in Israel on vacation, or while I was dancing (an activity I'm good at).

Video Cameras:
I wish they were never invented. I completely freeze when I know that my every move is being recorded. I feel like Big Brother is watching my every move, trying to catch me engaging in crimethink (a term from the 1984 novel). When I see myself on video, I don't see myself; I see some loser practically asking to be beat up. Unlike photos, I can't stand videos even when I'm completely drunk. Whenever someone points a video camera at me, I give an uninspiring "hello", then quickly leave the room.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 5:38 pm

Well, I broke all the mirrors in my room when i was sixteen cause i couldnt bear looking at my self anymore. it took me nine years till i finally found the courage to buy a mirror and see myself again. The mirror is now in my room but i only look at it when my self steem is high, otherwise i turn my head away from it.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 6:10 pm

I tried to look in a mirror once, but it detached itself from the wall and left the room in tears. Then I tried to see a reflection of myself in a pool of water, but it evaporated. I have to wear a mask when I use the computer.

cyrus1874
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2006, 6:27 pm

How old and how autistic are these brothers? I was watching this program that talked about self-recontion in both humans and animals. Very young childern were shown not to be able to reconised themselfs in the mirror. The average age they begin to reconise themselfs is at age 3. People with autism usually develope certain skills slower than average so I wounder if this is one of those skills.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 7:11 pm

i will occasionally not recognize myself in mirrors... it kinda has to catch me off gaurd... generally speaking, anytime i look in a mirror i am expecting to see me

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 7:13 pm

I have always hated people take me videos and photos, I don't like see myself, because I feel that's not the true myself.

Also, I hate heard my own voice recorded, it sounds weird. My voice sounds different in my head.

ButI like taking photos and video of everything (except myself) and recording sounds too. My cellphone is filled with photos of different things and people, and I only have one photo of myself, because my sister took this and I haven't eliminated it.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 7:23 pm

cyrus1874 wrote:
The average age they begin to recognise themselfs is at age 3.

That's when I was teaching myself to read.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 7:52 pm

I don't have problems with me in photos of videos or mirrors, but yes, I can't believe it's actually me, I always look in the mirror and people think I'm vain, but it just amazes me...

It feels weird to hear your voice recorded, I hear a different voice when I'm sisnging than when I'm hearing my own recordings...

08 Oct 2006, 8:13 pm

I hated seeing vidoes of myself in my teens because of my big boobs and I looked fat. It was the same in photos too thanks to my boobs. When I lost weight I still wasn't satisfied how I looked.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 8:19 pm

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
cyrus1874 wrote:
The average age they begin to recognise themselfs is at age 3.

That's when I was teaching myself to read.

Yes, me too :D

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 9:56 pm

I don't like pictures of myself because my prosopagnosia causes me to be unable to see my own face, just like I can't see everyone else's face. It's much more frustrating for me to not know what I look like as opposed to not knowing what someone else looks like. When I look at a photo of myself, it just becomes a frustrating and futile experience in me trying to figure out what I look like.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 10:15 pm

Voice recordings are very strange to me.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 5:37 am

I love seeing myself on film! However, back in the third to fifth grade era, I was extremely camera shy. And I wouldn't be caught dead on tape until sophomore year. Now, as a senior, I have over-come my camera shyness and I now love it. And I also love seeing myself in mirrors as well. I don't really have many flaws (no zits and that sort), so I'm pretty self-confident in my appearance.

greyhelium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 6:46 am

in order from best (which i would prefer) to last

Photo > my voice > video AND voice

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2006, 8:54 am

When I look in the mirror I know I am looking at myself, but at the same time I often don’t feel like the image is “me” (whatever me is anyway). I often feel like I don’t exists and like there is nothing inside of me, and that makes me feel weird when I see my image because I don’t feel like I am that person at all.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 9:06 am

When I was a teenager I thought any picture of myself looked horrible. Now I look at those same pics, and think I looked pretty good. These days I've had so many skin cancers removed from my face I'm starting to look piratical.

Can't stand to hear recordings of my voice. Sometimes my cellphone gets a delayed echo, and I have to call back. Hearing my voice repeating what I just said makes my skin crawl.