Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 5:41 pm

I think that the things that are off-putting about the entire Sonic franchise (number one being Sonic's smarmy face) might not register with people on the spectrum.

I was lucky enough to be exposed primarily by the Sonic X tv show, and as such have no nostalgia clouding my judgment about the franchise.

Nerdyimperator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

Yes, I've been obsessed with sonic since 1991 and yes I prefer classic sonic to modern :wink:

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

I actually really like the older Sonic games, and Sonic's older design. I preferred him to Mario, but I always preferred Mega Man to the both of them.

Although the Sonic fans having autism thing reminds me of Chris Chan. Maybe that's how the whole thing started. -_-

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 8:46 pm

I was obsessed as a kid, despite my parents not getting me a Genesis. But i'd play the games when I could get my hands on them, and imitate his obnoxious voice, and do the arms crossed/finger waggling/foot tapping thing when I was waiting for something. And I had the Tiger handheld game.

Seeing what Sonic turned into over the years I realized my parents were correct in raising me in a Nintendo household.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2012, 12:26 am

DialAForAwesome wrote:
Although the Sonic fans having autism thing reminds me of Chris Chan. Maybe that's how the whole thing started. -_-

That was my take as well, but I figured there where so many hardcore sonic fans here that I had to balance it out by stating my personal opinion on the character.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 6:41 pm

I had Game Gear so Sonic for me. It was crazier. Very repetitive music, high velocity.

Mario is more sentimental; princesses, cute animals, pastel colours.

Oh, and I always considered Tails as a young and naïve guy, a kind of Robin.

Metaljordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm

As a huge fan of the blue guy, never gave it much thought but now, it kinda makes sense, strange.

I am surprised

Sauceball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm

Looking at my avatar, it's pretty clear that I have a Sonic obsession. XD

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 11:17 pm

Those of you thinking Sonic games suck now should try Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed...great kart racer.

I didn't get into sonic until age 14, was too hectic for me when I was younger. Preferred Spyro.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

MegaSonic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2014, 11:35 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I come across a You Tube video [link] and half the comments are all like "What is it with Sonic and autism?" or "can someone explain why people with autism always seem 2 have a passion for sonic" or "What's the deal with Sonic and autism? Why not Mario and autism? Or Solid Snake and autism? Why does it have to be Sonic?" .

I hope no one minds that I'm reviving such an old thread but...as the creator of this video I thought this conversation was very interesting. It's something that I never thought about until later. There does seem to be some sort of connection, particularly with the newer games. Personally, I have always liked the Sonic games since I was four and played Sonic 1 for the first time. Am I on the autism spectrum? Maybe. Some things point me towards saying yes, but I'm not sure.

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2014, 10:57 am

I know this thread is older but I would like to add that I also had a major sonic obsession when I was growing up, I was bought a Sega Genesis when I was about 6 and I spent hours playing sonic games on it, I recall having a lot of sonic merchandise then too, and comics. I followed that up until the Dreamcast failure and that was the beginning of the end of my obsession with sonic games, until recently I bought Sonic generations and played it for awhile, but it just doesn't hold as much interest to me anymore, however I think the old obsession will always have a fond place in my memories.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2014, 8:57 pm

I didn't have any game systems growing up (besides the PC and my brother's Gameboy - and even then I only played Tetris on it), but I was exposed to Sonic - I remember the TV show, etc, but I didn't take much interest aside from watching other kids play it on the store display. Today I play and enjoy the original Genesis/Megadrive titles occasionally, and do get nostalgia. I actually use the "ring" sound on my phone as an e-mail/text notification chime (a "ring" tone - get it?)

The36thChamber
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

The only Sonic game i realy liked was Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, it's about on par with Mario 64. Very underrated game.
The Genesis games were ok, but no SMB 3 or Mario world beaters.
Wonder Boy IV was much more to my liking.
I had about every console, besides Neo geo, turbo gfx 16 and 3do when i grew up, still have them :D
Sonic and autism, i don't see the link as sonic games on the genesis were more style over substance in my opinion, very little depth.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2014, 11:43 pm

Ya know, it's interesting, but as this thing goes I do see random games labelled as having some link to autism, or being "appealing" to autistics in particular.

....or, to put it in a more Youtube-comment style of phrasing, "Only autistics play [insert game name here]".

I wonder, why does this link between a game, and autism, appear in the first place? It definitely aint just Sonic here.

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

Misery wrote:
Ya know, it's interesting, but as this thing goes I do see random games labelled as having some link to autism, or being "appealing" to autistics in particular.

....or, to put it in a more Youtube-comment style of phrasing, "Only autistics play [insert game name here]".

I wonder, why does this link between a game, and autism, appear in the first place? It definitely aint just Sonic here.

I know what you mean, my bro once said only aspies play metroid. Isn't that odd;

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

[url=thewadesmellbringer.tumblr.com]My Tumblr Blog[/url]

Maxxstar2
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2015, 8:04 pm

I played Sonic when I was little. And it made me happy during sad times. When I stopped playing him, I felt sad during certain times of the year. I'm playing sonic again and I want to see if it'll improve my mood like it did before