Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gearguy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

For some reason music played through a record player (and to a lesser degree a CD player) calms me down more than music on a computer or iPod. I think it's the physical act of choosing the record, taking it out, putting it on the platter and dropping the needle that does it, but I'm not sure. Anyone else find this or something similar?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 8:11 pm

Absolutely. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING digital can match the dynamics, especially in the lower ranges (bass), of a vinyl recording. Vinyl, unfortunately, takes a lot of work to maintain, and even if you do everything possible, you can't undo what the stylus does to it. Every time you play vinyl, microscopic peelings come off. And no matter what you do, dust will get on it, and the diamond will grind it in.

If you can put up with that, or listen to music that's loud enough to get over the crackle, there's no matching the crisp bass if you can manage to isolate your turntable from feedback. Of course you can't beat the artwork either. There's something very different about being able to hold it in your hands. Cassette and CD cases, or digital imagery on the computer just isn't the same at all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2011, 8:16 pm

gearguy wrote:
For some reason music played through a record player (and to a lesser degree a CD player) calms me down more than music on a computer or iPod. I think it's the physical act of choosing the record, taking it out, putting it on the platter and dropping the needle that does it, but I'm not sure. Anyone else find this or something similar?

Vinyl sounds great the first few times it's played, but then due to the mechanical action of the needle, the fidelity begins to deteriorate. And unless you are very careful, you'll scratch the surface, giving all kinds of unwanted noises. In my opinion, the MP3 is only an improvement.

I understand if you have a ritual thing for handling the records, but if you're into fidelity at all, you might want to turn the sound off on the turntable and put on an MP3 while playing the record. Unless the vinyl is new, there is no comparison in the sound quality between MP3 and vinyl.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 8:27 pm

I've noticed in comparing some mp3 version vs. lossless versions of song that the "goosebump effect" is less with mp3, even if I can't consciously hear a difference.

And mp3 does actually alter the sound. It's based on the concept of "psychoacoustic masking," which means that the human brain tends not to hear sounds under certain conditions. I.e. if two tones are close to another and one is less by a strong by certain amount, the brain won't register it -- so the mp3 encoder deletes that sound. There also temporal masking effects, but I forget how that works.

But ultimately, mp3 uses a model of what the human brain will and won't detect -- but I've always wondered how accurate that model is across the population (especially if your brain has weird sensory processing). Also, testing of mp3 (during it's development) was done with expert listeners -- but I wonder if there are qualities of music/sound that have a subconscious effect.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 8:34 pm

It's good to see USB turntables out, and to see vinyl making a comeback. I didn't like the USB turntables like some of the cheap (looking) ones I've seen. Instead, I bought a top-end model used.

I also love to go to thrift shops and look through their collections of old vinyl records. Such places are where I also built a great stereo system for less than one piece of it would have cost new.

Of course, all my stuff is fairly old-school, except for the IR remote-controlled amplifier, which cost me $7. Heavy as it is, it's probably worth at least that as scrap!

It's good that it gives you a good feeling. It makes me feel good to listen to those old records as well. Doing so takes me back to another time.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 8:52 pm

People still listen to vinyl??! !

Diagnosed in 2005

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 9:50 pm

I find the same thing as well. I've always preferred records and CDs over MP3s.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 3:36 am

clicks, crackle, hiss and rumble drive me batty, i absolutely am incapable of listening "through" such spurious sounds to the music underneath. CD/digital recording for me, was a godsend- FINALLY, no more damned NOISE! i have some old records that are so crackly you'd think firecrackers were going off in the room! the old burwen declickers made the crackles less obnoxious but still left behind enough of 'em that you could never forget about 'em. CEDAR finally came out with a semipro/semi-consumer model declicker that made short work of the crackle, which is what i've been using for the past decade or so, but even with the crackle suppressed/removed there is still all the other grungy noises on phonographic recordings. i found that if i wanted to compress onto MP3 my records, i had to remove all the noise or else i'd get these weird aliasing distortions caused by both noise and signal competing for too few available bits. with the noise out of the way, i finally could truly enjoy listening to the old music in my collection, i could finally relax without worrying about being jolted by a loud pop or click. LP-loving acquaintances of mine said that if i just listened to my music at a background level like they do, the record noise wouldn't be so obnoxious, but i find the hysteresis of the low-level signals [when played back at insufficient volume level typical of background music listening] to be just as objectionable as the noise.

Last edited by auntblabby on 29 Dec 2011, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gearguy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

The artwork is definitely much more pleasing because of the much larger area. I disagree on the quality degrading over time however, I managed to get an original 1969 copy of Best Of Cream, it sounds clear as anything and sounds better than it does as an MP3. Obviously this copy has been well kept, but throughout my (admittedly small) collection the quality is equal to that of a CD, these are all original pressings other than one reissued 7". I think by taking fairly simple steps to prevent dust, ie keeping them in good condition dust sleeves, the quality can be retained almost indefinitely. That's just my opinion though

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 12:41 pm

I disliked CDs because they seemed so easily scratched or damaged. I don't understand the design that seems so vulnerable to wear and tear. Even the old Floppy computer disks where inside a protective covering. If CDs had been inside a cover like those small plastic floppies with the sliding door I would have been happy with CDs. Even some Minidisk companies had designed their product to be in a protective cover.

I'm usually careful with my CDs but s**t happens. I've decided to embrace the convenience of digital and carry my MP3 player every where.

I rip them from CDs at the highest quality but I do wish I could do Lossless WAV. Well I can but my portable player doesn't recognize that format.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

I love mp3 (or whichever format) for the portability - having my entire music collection in my pocket is, for me, the very best of modern technology. When I'm at home though, it's full fat audio all the way. Mp3's compression leaves music sounding either dull and flat at low volume, or the source of a wall of noise headache at loud volume. It has to be a CD or record player sending an undiluted signal to a sizeable amp, driving a pair of large speakers that can properly get those air molecules moving.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
clicks, crackle, hiss and rumble drive me batty, i absolutely am incapable of listening "through" such spurious sounds to the music underneath. CD/digital recording for me, was a godsend- FINALLY, no more damned NOISE!

I can't deal with records for the same reason. I suppose it might be because I have never really grown up with records. I also struggle with tapes though which I did grow up with.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 8:23 pm

Jellybean wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
clicks, crackle, hiss and rumble drive me batty, i absolutely am incapable of listening "through" such spurious sounds to the music underneath. CD/digital recording for me, was a godsend- FINALLY, no more damned NOISE!

I can't deal with records for the same reason. I suppose it might be because I have never really grown up with records. I also struggle with tapes though which I did grow up with.

did it drive you into installing audio restoration software on your 'puter? i never would've gotten bill gates' maddening machines but for their unique ability to digitize and restore corrupted analog audio. there is a FREE 8) [PC direct X donationware] app called "Munoise" that is a great dehisser of noisy tapes. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 8:27 pm

gearguy wrote:
The artwork is definitely much more pleasing because of the much larger area. I disagree on the quality degrading over time however, I managed to get an original 1969 copy of Best Of Cream, it sounds clear as anything and sounds better than it does as an MP3. Obviously this copy has been well kept, but throughout my (admittedly small) collection the quality is equal to that of a CD, these are all original pressings other than one reissued 7". I think by taking fairly simple steps to prevent dust, ie keeping them in good condition dust sleeves, the quality can be retained almost indefinitely. That's just my opinion though

i wish i had your built-in wetware noise filter. :hmph:

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 12:42 am

I prefer flac files to mp3 (if I can) though nothing gives me the floating feeling of analog. Still waiting for that to be replicated digitally.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:10 am

curlyfry wrote:
I prefer flac files to mp3 (if I can) though nothing gives me the floating feeling of analog. Still waiting for that to be replicated digitally.

some analogophiles swear by 384/24. to my less than golden ears, though, that is overkill, as all i hear from such are perceptibly softer trebles, though an analogophile would correct me by saying such trebles were "grain-free" and that only my less-than-perfect hearing just can't hear the aural truth expressed by such a hifalutin' system. i CAN [still] clearly hear the difference between 44/16 and 96/16 [or even 96/20].