Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2006, 1:41 am

Does anyone else ever get into trouble for correcting teachers if they make a mistake even if you do not mean it in a way to embarass them? because just the other day my science teach told our class that as you go down in the ocean pressure on you increases and if you go up in the atmosphere pressure on you increases and that at sea level its the midpoint and then i tried to tell her that as you go up into the atmosphere pressure decreases, anyways i got into trouble and i was just wondering if anyone else has these habits/obsessions with perfection?

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:43 am

Mike61290 wrote:
Does anyone else ever get into trouble for correcting teachers if they make a mistake even if you do not mean it in a way to embarass them? because just the other day my science teach told our class that as you go down in the ocean pressure on you increases and if you go up in the atmosphere pressure on you increases and that at sea level its the midpoint and then i tried to tell her that as you go up into the atmosphere pressure decreases, anyways i got into trouble and i was just wondering if anyone else has these habits/obsessions with perfection?

I corrected my teacher, and got detention for "questioning her method of teaching".

briangwin33
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2006, 3:24 am

Yeah, I corrected my teachers all the time in high school. It won me lots of interesting comments when they signed my mock diploma.

If you're getting in trouble for it, even though you're right, I'd put something in writing and submit it to the administration. If their teachers are ignorant and spreading the same in class, the administration should care. Although they might not. If your school is like most, the real things you're supposed to be learning are thus: sit down, shut up, and do what you're told. In this case, education, truth, etc. matter not a whit. Obedience is the real subject of all your classes. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that this is the way things are at your school and that the administration doesn't give a s**t.

Maybe you can out your moron teacher with a letter to the local newspaper. It won't make school any better but at least you can have fun raising some hell.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 4:10 am

Oh, never correct the teacher. Let them live in ignorance.

I tend to ask questions teachers don't know the answer to. That is just as bad. I had a teacher who thought I was a provocative little b***h cause I asked a lot of questions he could not answer and questioned some of the things he said.

Lol, I had an english teacher who every time she would say 'I think' said 'I sink', bad pronouncation. I never corrected her, but thought to my self: can't you swim?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:01 pm

When I correct the teacher (most of the ones I had didn't mind), I usually make it sound like I'm quoting from another source, which is often true. I say things like: "but this book I had last year said the pressure decreases as you go up." In that case, the teacher either explained what he or she said in more detail, or said: "you might be on to something here", followed by actually correcting him- or herself. By quoting another source, the teacher sees that the book I mentioned, not me, that's doing the correcting. I shift the blame from myself to a written source, which makes it virtually impossible to either blame me or keep spreading wrong information.

Corcovado wrote:
Lol, I had an english teacher who every time she would say 'I think' said 'I sink', bad pronouncation. I never corrected her, but thought to my self: can't you swim?
This could be nothing other than the accent that teacher had. Most East European languages don't have the sound of "th" as in "think" or "this". So when faced with this sound in the English langauge, people from that region can't always reproduce it correctly, insteading subsituting it with the most similar sound, which is "s" or "z".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 6:40 pm

I've had to correct teachers before.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 6:43 pm

I used to but I gave up after realising that many of them were just regurgitating "facts" they'd learned by rote.

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2006, 7:12 pm

briangwin33 wrote:
Yeah, I corrected my teachers all the time in high school. It won me lots of interesting comments when they signed my mock diploma.

If you're getting in trouble for it, even though you're right, I'd put something in writing and submit it to the administration. If their teachers are ignorant and spreading the same in class, the administration should care. Although they might not. If your school is like most, the real things you're supposed to be learning are thus: sit down, shut up, and do what you're told. In this case, education, truth, etc. matter not a whit. Obedience is the real subject of all your classes. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that this is the way things are at your school and that the administration doesn't give a s**t.

Maybe you can out your moron teacher with a letter to the local newspaper. It won't make school any better but at least you can have fun raising some hell.

Haha thats great (the last part) I think that I may actually do that eventually I mean wouldn't you just love to prove the teacher wrong without gettin detention or ISS for "Insubordination" I mean i would feel bad that they had to go through the public humiliation but for every pro theres a con

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

15 Oct 2006, 7:42 pm

I do it occasionally--last week I pointed out to my Latin teacher that Dalmatians do not, in fact, originate from Dalmatia--but in general the teachers I do it to take it in stride. This may be because I passive-aggressively ignore teachers I don't like, and so don't tend to correct them because I don't listen to them. Generally I correct them on obscure bits of trivia anyway, not the subject matter, although I did get into trouble for being 'an insufferable know-it-all' in my seventh grade Bio class because I kept pointing out things the teacher didn't know.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 7:44 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
...although I did get into trouble for being 'an insufferable know-it-all' in my seventh grade Bio class because I kept pointing out things the teacher didn't know.

You too, huh?

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2006, 11:29 pm

i'm a senior in college and my art history professor has said 6-7 things so far that i know to be wrong! i (almost) have a minor in art history, she has a PhD! I know she must be intelligent, so i don't know what's wrong with her. I gave up correcting her since i think her entire curriculum is largely irrelevent to the subject matter. I just tune out and draw in my sketchbook. I fantasize about being a complete smart-ass, causing her to say ,"well, would you like to teach the class?" And I'd say "Yes!" And I would prepare and deliver excellent lectures that actually teach myself and the class the things we're supposed to learn. But alas, its not worth the effort and i have paintings to make so i just sit there angry. i'll have a lot to say come course evaluation time, we're talking extra pages with a formal outline.

fujikochan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2006, 11:19 pm

Corcovado wrote:
Oh, never correct the teacher. Let them live in ignorance.

Yes. I've learned this the hard way. I would always correct people's verbal grammar. That's a huge no-no in Eastern Kentucky, where people speak in a dialect that allows for grammatical error.

I also used to correct over what seemed to be "trivial" matters. Upon a (very brief) transfer to a community college, I would attempt correct my professor's hackneyed ways of required paper formatting. Are we, as supposed English students and scholars, supposed to completely ignore the MLA Handbook because we're too broke to go to a proper University? NO!

Anyway...

Corcovado wrote:
I tend to ask questions teachers don't know the answer to. That is just as bad. I had a teacher who thought I was a provocative little b***h cause I asked a lot of questions he could not answer and questioned some of the things he said.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's frustrated teachers, particularly in High School.

Corcovado wrote:

LOL. My first grade teacher referred to the midday meal as "Launch" instead of "Lunch."