Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 11:54 pm

I sometimes have random flashes of memories. Sometimes it happens when I'm sitting and letting my mind wander, but sometimes they spring up from nowhere in the middle of classes or during conversations. Sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're painful, sometimes they're just odd tidbits from Christmas past.

Does anyone else have these?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:30 am

i could be walking out and about, and suddenly find myself in a reverie from which i emerge several minutes later, someplace else i don't remember journeying to, sometimes a mile away from where i was before. i guess maybe these might be termed "fugue states." :idea:

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2012, 12:43 am

These happen to me, though not for long and I've never wandered away (or did I?). Often, I can't remember what the flashback is.. and often, they are flashbacks into dreams.. I think they're dreams.. it's harder to remember anymore

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:54 am

I have them, but I also have a diagnosis of PTSD, so no idea if any are related to the Asperger's.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 3:21 am

I get these all the time. Sometimes negative, sometimes not. It doesn't last for long, its brief recollections of memories coming back into my head.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

Yeah I do get them, I think they're pretty common, as I've seen threads before about "grunting out loud" at some shameful memory that just popped uninvited into your head....
I also have "flashforwards" of the worst case scenarios , mainly about my kids, for instance if they're going down the stairs a bit too fast, I'll picture them tripping...
Overactive mind is overactive.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jan 2012, 4:01 am

Sometimes I flash back to conversations and start responding out loud. I've also done what auntblabby does - zone out and come back several minutes later, after walking on autopilot.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 6:14 am

Yes, I get them too. If the memory is painful, embarrassing or near miss (I mean like when my daughter got her fingers caught in a door, she was fine but she could have lost them), I will often have a physical reaction to it, like a sharp intake of breath, a moaning sound or throwing my arms out.

Arak-Nafein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i could be walking out and about, and suddenly find myself in a reverie from which i emerge several minutes later, someplace else i don't remember journeying to, sometimes a mile away from where i was before. i guess maybe these might be termed "fugue states." :idea:

I do this sometimes when driving to and/or from work.

But mostly when I'm alone with nothing to think about, my mind kinda wanders & I slip into these daydreams and/or flashbacks.

Also, sometimes I have conversations with myself....dunno if that's related or not.....but it's similar, or at least I'm in a similar state when it happens.

I never really noticed I did this.....although I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. It was one of those "ah ha" moments when I snapped out of my lull one day & realized what I was doing. Then I realized this is what "daydreaming" meant. I never realized how much my mind wanders until that "ah ha" moment.

finallyFoundOutWhy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jan 2012, 4:24 pm

i constantly have flashbacks - almost anything can trigger them

i also have PTSD - they are likely linked, but i have had these memory things for as long as i can remember (my chronologically ordered memory starts the day i turned 3)

i used to be unable to sleep because everything i had ever done wrong in my life would replay and i would be too humiliated and embarrassed to be able to sleep

----

i also have the "flashforwards" and grunting with pain and embarrassment that ediself mentioned above

----

i have constant "fear" models of terrible futures

i am constantly planning for failure and worst case scenarios - not obsessed, but i am totally safety conscious/freaky

as a consequence i am always prepared when things go wrong because i have planned, modelled, and resourced myself for when things do go wrong - whether it is extra shirts on a hot day, or having 4 sets of clothes in my kids' diaper bags when they were little, or having a full survival and emergency kit in the car - or having alternate routes and flights already picked when travelling and i get bumped from a flight or there is a weather delay

some people misinterpret my planning as being a control freak - i am not - i am a total go with the flow guy - i have just modelled and planned for all likely (and many unlikely) scenarios to allow myself to be comfortable with going with the flow...

Diagnosed 2010 at age 45
Asperger's and NVLD

vetwithAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2012, 6:43 pm

This happens to me every so often and it always makes me wonder what caused that specific memory to come rushing in. Sometimes I can find how my mind associated something that just happened with something from the past and that's why the memory came up. More often than not, though, the memory is completely unrelated to anything going on at the moment.

mglosenger wrote:
These happen to me, though not for long and I've never wandered away (or did I?). Often, I can't remember what the flashback is.. and often, they are flashbacks into dreams.. I think they're dreams.. it's harder to remember anymore

I do find the flashbacks to be from dreams at times. Sometimes they're recent dreams and some are from my childhood.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm

I have quite a few random flashbacks about my past. They seem to happen the most when I'm out in public with my friends at a mall or Wal-Mart. Generally at places where there are likely to be parents with their children. I have to keep myself in check so that I'll be able to stop a flashback.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

I have them. The memory flashes with more force and overrides what is front you, so to speak.

So does the mind/brain have a bit more influence or energy greater than what is outside of you, or is the brain at a normal baseline on one end, but "abnormal" in a bias or preference choice, to make one a priority and the other a backburner choice?

I always thought my internal state was biased more than the incoming from the outside. It could more thinking energy or an executive issue or both.

Verdandi:

Quote:
Sometimes I flash back to conversations and start responding out loud. I've also done what auntblabby does - zone out and come back several minutes later, after walking on autopilot.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2012, 10:12 am

I get them.

Especially with music - music I recognise I have an "attached" image/memory of the place I was when I heard it first.

I don't know if anyone else gets it ? it can be annoying sometimes as if I'm in a shop or somewhere I get strong overwhelming flashbacks.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 11:21 am

Always, and deja vu too.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

shubunkin wrote:
I get them.

Especially with music - music I recognise I have an "attached" image/memory of the place I was when I heard it first.

I don't know if anyone else gets it ? it can be annoying sometimes as if I'm in a shop or somewhere I get strong overwhelming flashbacks.

That's interesting. I also get that music 'flashback' thing but in addition to the memories/images it also brings back whatever my dominant mood was at the time. I.e. Since I found high school to be extremely depressing and horrible I can't stand to hear 80's music. I have to shut it off or immediately leave the area (or put earbuds in and crank up the iPod volume).

There are also other times where the mood isn't bad but I don't feel like I want to feel so "moved" at the time. It's sort of emotionally exhausting.