Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 3:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm afraid I've never seen Kiss Of The Spider Woman. That has an Aspie-ish character in it?

yes, AFAIC, one who was high-functioning and in active denial of his inner dweeb. it also had a gay character who "turns" the aspie character.

I shall have to see it!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2012, 3:19 am

Since we already have 3 threads where this is mentioned briefly...the driver from Drive appears to be an introverted aspie.
He seems unknowing about social situations, he's very unexpressive (voice, body language, facial gestures..etc.), he's got someone who takes care of him like a guardian , he's got routines and rules(e.g. 5 minutes), he's very good to exceptional with everything related to cars, he doesn't seem to have a social life or friends (apart from his boss), he treats the kid differently than most would, when Standard was jealous of him he seemed as if he didn't understand it and Standard accepted him because of it as trustworthy, he doesn't converse normally with other people and he only seems comfortable and in touch with himself when driving, he had a jacket which seemed old and he took it off rarely, he often chews on a toothpick and finally: sometimes you get the impression that the movie was shot from his perspective, the camera focuses on certain things that are in the driver's view and doesn't pay attention to other things happening until he notices them (which must not mean anything at all but I thought it was intresting anyway).

simplisticseth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 May 2012, 11:12 pm

Michelle Flaherty and Paul Finch from "American Pie" both have symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome.

Also, Doc from "West Side Story", Raymond from "Rain Main", and Ed from "Good Burger" may have it because they show signs of it.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2012, 12:13 am

Edward Grey[James Spader] in Secretary.

AlfTupper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2012, 2:04 am

Just rewatched the 2008 version of Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightley ?Matthew Macfadyen one). Mr Darcy, as portrayed by MacFadyen, seems very high-functioning Aspie. Anyone agree?

eraofscreens
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2012, 8:53 pm

R.P. McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest right?

how about 'Lists' in Death Race

Borat :P

idk about Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange

i doubt about Renton in Trainspotting

and maybe Andrew Detmer in Chronicle?

I haven't read Stephen King's The Shawshank Redemption but Andy Dufresne appears to be a bit AS in the movie so possibly it was intented to portray the character a bit autistic.

Paul the ET in Paul hahaha

Last edited by eraofscreens on 26 May 2012, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 9:34 pm

Buster from Arrested Development.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:56 pm

eraofscreens wrote:
R.P. McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest right? idk about Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange

kindly tell me, how can those two hypersocial types be on the spectrum? "enquiring minds want to know." ;)

btw, Hiya :) and welcome to our neat little club 8)

charles52
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2012, 8:16 am

There's a Bollywood movie called "My Name Is Khan" where the title character is described as an Aspie (he is). As the programming industry grew in India, there were a number of films that featured socially-inept engineer types who wind up with the beautiful girl - "Pyaar Impossible" and "Jab We Met" were a couple of my faves. Maybe not out-and-out Aspies, but a lot of emphasis on the socially inept part.

James Dean in just about everything he did was very Aspie-like, "Giant" comes to mind. Maybe Al Pacino in "Dog Day Afternoon," an Aspie who's come out of his shell just enough to attempt a bank robbery ???

A lot of times when my wife and I are watching a movie together, I'll be there identifying with the Aspie-like character and knowing that she's identifying with the normal one... we did just watch the Swedish version of the Dragon Tattoo stories (6 episodes, 9 hours), and, yeah, Lispeth was great.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 1:22 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
Lisbet Salander in the Millenium movies (of which The girl with the dragon tattoo is the first) is specifially descibed as asperger in the books

Indeed, Lisbeth Salander was the reason I started to suspect about asperger... when everybody else was talking about this 'weird' character and I realized that it was the only one that I could fully understand. Same thing, by the way, that happened to me with Bones (from the TV serie).

eraofscreens
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2012, 4:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
eraofscreens wrote:
R.P. McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest right? idk about Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange

kindly tell me, how can those two hypersocial types be on the spectrum? "enquiring minds want to know." ;)

btw, Hiya :) and welcome to our neat little club 8)

HI, thank you much oblidged :)
Yes, i'd love that. :P
Watching the movie I could somewhat relate to both characters. This doesn't automatically mean that they have AS :o.
They are outgoing in a manner, sure, and that is the big difference, because I am introvert.
Replacing the main-characters in the movies with an introvert version of them, would make the storyline not as interesting...
Hypersocial means very outgoing and rumoring along with the company, and searching each other's tendencies. But in this context that doesn't make sense; the roles are not outgoing in a socializing way,. So i don't think they are hypersocial. But i get your point.

Personally I can be stubborn when interacting socially. I lie others in their supposed way. I mean i could, but i would think twice (and only when it comes to it, they will find out about my view).

Also, I am not violent. I understand about feelings, and I can understand that punching a strange women in the face with a huge porcelain phallus statue after breaking into her cat filled house, isn't a way to make clear my sexual desires for the lady. 8O

Why I think they have AS..
McMurphy: Very intelligent although he can't really sit still. Gets agitated when anyone tries to tell him what to do. Tries to be helpful sometimes but gets ridiculed or punished. He sees and treats everybody as equal (from the silent Indian to the demented giant, to the dictatorral nurse), and he wants the best for every moment. He has some trouble with emotions and additionally he is emotionally troubled himself. Poor empathy. Has no idea why he is as he is and does not really change. Solves issues with a use of creative humor albeit inappropriate. and some anxiety issues i suppose.
DeLarge: Highly intelligent to the point of insanity. Always uses pedantic speech, to his friends, or even when beat up. Unable to recognize emotions, acts apathically. Will beat up his friends with no explanation; as he feels they deserved it. Is verbally skilled except when in a conversation or interrupted. He is eccentric and this fits him; the ladies are attracted to him and his queer behavior/speech. He is foreign to social cues. and some anxiety issues i suppose.
i don't mean to stigmatize :wink: but this fits in the spectrum?

and, Oh yeah, btw, they were both submitted in a mental health institution
Here's why I can relate; Been there, done that!

Did you like the movies? they are both in my list of favourites.
Did I miss something? I wonder if you can disagree! :o

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:50 am

eraofscreens wrote:
Replacing the main-characters in the movies with an introvert version of them, would make the storyline not as interesting...

or at least not outwardly comedic.
eraofscreens wrote:
Hypersocial means very outgoing and rumoring along with the company, and searching each other's tendencies. But in this context that doesn't make sense; the roles are not outgoing in a socializing way,. So i don't think they are hypersocial. But i get your point.

by hypersocial i was referring to both character's fluency regarding women, in that both of them had absolutely no trouble attracting female companionship. anybody out there in WPland or in the greater world, who has no troubles getting companionship, i can't help but see those lucky souls as being hypersocial, in fact i see their picture in the dictionary when i look up the word. ;)
eraofscreens wrote:
Personally I can be stubborn when interacting socially. I lie others in their supposed way. I mean i could, but i would think twice (and only when it comes to it, they will find out about my view).

i wear who i am on my sleeves, there is no hiding anything about me. :oops:
eraofscreens wrote:
Also, I am not violent. I understand about feelings, and I can understand that punching a strange women in the face with a huge porcelain phallus statue after breaking into her cat filled house, isn't a way to make clear my sexual desires for the lady.

that episode was a textbook capsule description of sociopathy rather than asperger's syndrome. both characters were textbook sociopaths. sociopaths tend to be able to turn on hypersocial behaviors like flipping a switch, when it suits them.
eraofscreens wrote:
Why I think they have AS..
McMurphy: Very intelligent although he can't really sit still. Gets agitated when anyone tries to tell him what to do. Tries to be helpful sometimes but gets ridiculed or punished. He sees and treats everybody as equal (from the silent Indian to the demented giant, to the dictatorral nurse), and he wants the best for every moment. He has some trouble with emotions and additionally he is emotionally troubled himself. Poor empathy. Has no idea why he is as he is and does not really change. Solves issues with a use of creative humor albeit inappropriate. and some anxiety issues i suppose.

gee :oops: that sounds a LOT like ME :oops:
eraofscreens wrote:
DeLarge: Highly intelligent to the point of insanity. Always uses pedantic speech, to his friends, or even when beat up. Unable to recognize emotions, acts apathically. Will beat up his friends with no explanation; as he feels they deserved it. Is verbally skilled except when in a conversation or interrupted. He is eccentric and this fits him; the ladies are attracted to him and his queer behavior/speech. He is foreign to social cues. and some anxiety issues i suppose.

the only anxiety issues were rooted in his ludovico [mis]treatment. his character in particular combines AS traits with sociopathy, and THAT is also something i've seen in real life, as well, when i worked for uncle sam.
eraofscreens wrote:
i don't mean to stigmatize :wink: but this fits in the spectrum?

good question. :chin: but the sociopathy/AS combo was/is an eye-opener :o
eraofscreens wrote:
and, Oh yeah, btw, they were both submitted in a mental health institution - Here's why I can relate; Been there, done that!

there was a mental ward in the army hospital i worked in, i once was assigned to watch over a pregnant lady that was kept locked in there, and that was [thankfully] as close as i got to being in a mental ward. but there were many times in my life that i thought for sure that i belonged in one.
eraofscreens wrote:
Did you like the movies? they are both in my list of favourites.

i have 'em both in my DVD collection. ken kesey was from my part of the country. a better look at mental hospitals would be in "girl, interrupted" and "i never promised you a rose garden." i believe that the movie should've been made a decade earlier, with the producer's father kirk starring as R.P. Mcmurphy, jack nicholson was an ok substitute only because of his relative youth. and kubrick was the right one to make "clockwork," IMHO.
eraofscreens wrote:
Did I miss something? I wonder if you can disagree! :o

i can always disagree but i try not to, in the interest of peace. i don't know if you missed anything, and i often scratch my own head as to whether or not i missed something. :shrug:

eraofscreens
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2012, 7:01 am

Quote:
Quote:
eraofscreens wrote:
Also, I am not violent. I understand about feelings, and I can understand that punching a strange women in the face with a huge porcelain phallus statue after breaking into her cat filled house, isn't a way to make clear my sexual desires for the lady.

that episode was a textbook capsule description of sociopathy rather than asperger's syndrome. both characters were textbook sociopaths. sociopaths tend to be able to turn on hypersocial behaviors like flipping a switch, when it suits them

you're right. but I don't know about you view on hypersocial behaviour, like as if it's a tool. To sociopaths it's a tool, yes, like in a way that it is (premeditated) suggestive behaviour to reach a goal, but to NT's it's the primary and perhaps only language, it's their natural ability to communicate. So once the sociopath turns the switch, the NT will empathize, but the sociopath cannot.

Quote:
i wear who i am on my sleeves, there is no hiding anything about me.

I Respect that! But beware of tha sociopaths! :jester:

Quote:
i believe that the movie should've been made a decade earlier, with the producer's father kirk starring as R.P. Mcmurphy, jack nicholson was an ok substitute only because of his relative youth. and kubrick was the right one to make "clockwork," IMHO.

I think that also nicholson was only the right one for it. :pirat:
They are more like a pack leader kind of social. They can form group bonding or redefine a social structure.
I still don't regard these two as hypersocial, as i think a group of gossiping females is 'hyper'social behaviour.

And One More to add to the list..... Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind's Joel Barish.....? :scratch:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 9:00 am

eraofscreens wrote:
Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind's Joel Barish.....? :scratch:

i dunno... :scratch: maybe a dish of avoidant personality disorder, with a soupçon [or even a dollop] of schizotypal disorder thrown in for good measure. :chin:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:37 pm

This might be a long shot, but - - Herbert West in Re-animator.
He's intellectually brilliant, but comes across as stiff, socially disconnected and arrogant. His hapless partner, Kane, described him as "cracked," like any genius.
And as many Aspies are Asexual, it should be recalled that he never showed the slightest interest in Kane's girlfriend and Dean Halsey's daughter, Megan.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
This might be a long shot, but - - Herbert West in Re-animator.
He's intellectually brilliant, but comes across as stiff, socially disconnected and arrogant. His hapless partner, Kane, described him as "cracked," like any genius.
And as many Aspies are Asexual, it should be recalled that he never showed the slightest interest in Kane's girlfriend and Dean Halsey's daughter, Megan.

dang :oops: i shoulda thought of that before.