Would you date a guy that lives with his parents?

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2014, 3:19 pm

We could always use my place but if they had a full time job and not going to school I would be worried if they planned on growing up. Moving out on your own and being the sole person to keep yourself afloat puts a new perspective on life and whats important.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

Wafflemarine wrote:
We could always use my place but if they had a full time job and not going to school I would be worried if they planned on growing up. Moving out on your own and being the sole person to keep yourself afloat puts a new perspective on life and whats important.

guys are usually more forgiving of a girl that lives with her parents than the other way around

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2014, 4:39 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
Wafflemarine wrote:

guys are usually more forgiving of a girl that lives with her parents than the other way around

It does get frustrating dealing with people who have no issue with themselves living with no motivation. Guys are usually more desperate enough to deal with it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

Yeah, however if that is the case it would be cool if their parents are cool people and we'd be welcome to hang out there, but if not then me and the hypothetical dude still living at his parents house would just have to find other places to hang out.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 5:42 pm

I was on my own since age 17. I have owned 3 different homes, raised 4 children and 3 step children (treat them as my own). Last house I bought was next door to my mother. She was and is getting on in years and has a heart condition. My ex couldn't deal with me taking my mum to doctors appointments, shopping, etc. My mother would make them weeks in advance after checking out what I had going on first.

Long story short, my ex kept pulling at the last moment things she wanted me to do. So what is more important? Taking her out to the bars (I hate bars) or taking my mum to her appointments well in advance? This and a few other issues destroyed my marriage as I was the unreasonable and uncaring one. My ex subsequently found herself some playmates to spend time with whilst I cared for my mum. I won't elaborate further or need to.

We split over other issues (I had enough) sold house and parted ways. I moved in with my 79 year old mum at the time and have been caring for her since. She is now 87 and in very poor health.

Dating? Around here they hear I am living with mommy and that ends that. I quit trying as it isn't worth the hassle. :?

Edit: So for all the ladies I have gotten to know, they WON'T date a guy who lives with his parents. Regardless of the circumstances. -sigh-

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 7:05 pm

well the majority it seems like that

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 5:04 am

Yes.

I'm 32 and currently live at my parents house. I've been here for 2 years or so now. There are a lot of people my age living at home with their parents around here.. so many that it's not considered really very odd at all. House prices are through the stratosphere here so a lot of young adults have moved back into their parents places to save up some money. There are also a lot of families that come from collectivist cultures so their adults kids stay at home forever.

I know perfectly datable guys that also live at home with their parents. It's just sort of the way it is here. Heck, there are many married couples with kids (from non-collectivist cultures) who move back into one of their parents houses. That's not even a really weird thing here it's become so commonly accepted due to home/rent prices.

edit:

When I moved in with them I was in very rough shape. I was in poor health, mentally/physically, working only sporadically, and very broke. Now my health is about the best it's ever been all around, I've been working and saving money. I could go move out, but I don't mind living here and I'm saving money towards bigger goals. Also, my brother lives a block away and my sister lives several blocks away and my brothers ex lives several blocks away.. and my closest friend lives a couple blocks away, and my best friend lives a short drive away etc. IF I moved out, I probably wouldn't move closer to work and would likely stick around this area just for all the people I like to see when I can. If I move closer to work or to another nearby city it would be more convenient for work/outdoor activities, but then I wouldn't see several people I love very often at all anymore. Hmmm, that may be an inevitable fact of life eventually.. but for now I can avoid it by staying put.

As for dating.. I haven't really done any of that around them. I've only ever had anyone over to the house when they're not around basically. But if I were in a dating relationship with someone it might be a bit awkward having them around at first, but maybe not.. it might be just fine with them. I guess I'll find out if I meet the right guy while still living here.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 11 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 7:33 am

That depends. If he is over 30 and still living at home and not making any attempt to become independent soon, that would raise some red flags with me. Especially since I am very independent and moved away from my parents at 19.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 7:56 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
For that matter, why is it less of an issue if a woman lives with her parents?

Because...it's men's fault, men aren't being as hypergamous as women.

In social hierarchy, an independent person is usually higher than non-independent person (and full independence is a strong indication of wealth/self-financing).

A non-independent woman (who is not independent because she's not economcally capable) would seek a man who is capable to give her a way out of her dependence on parents; so she wouldn't consider a non-independent guy.

And an independent woman, would see the non-independent guy lower than her so she wouldn't consider him too.

Also non-independent woman will always at least be viewed as a potential housewife, while a non-independent man is viewed as a potential...nothing (Even in the MOST liberal and developed countries, stay-at-home dads are barely 1% of all dads).

So in all cases, the non-independent guy is f****d.

The only way this to change, is when males become pickier and set harder financial standards on the mates they choose - when most independant men reject women who aren't independent (and wouldn't accept otherwise) - the same way how women evaluate men since ever.

Jjancee
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2014, 9:59 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Yes.

I'm 32 and currently live at my parents house. I've been here for 2 years or so now. There are a lot of people my age living at home with their parents around here.. so many that it's not considered really very odd at all. House prices are through the stratosphere here so a lot of young adults have moved back into their parents places to save up some money. There are also a lot of families that come from collectivist cultures so their adults kids stay at home forever.

I know perfectly datable guys that also live at home with their parents. It's just sort of the way it is here. Heck, there are many married couples with kids (from non-collectivist cultures) who move back into one of their parents houses. That's not even a really weird thing here it's become so commonly accepted due to home/rent prices.

edit:

When I moved in with them I was in very rough shape. I was in poor health, mentally/physically, working only sporadically, and very broke. Now my health is about the best it's ever been all around, I've been working and saving money. I could go move out, but I don't mind living here and I'm saving money towards bigger goals. Also, my brother lives a block away and my sister lives several blocks away and my brothers ex lives several blocks away.. and my closest friend lives a couple blocks away, and my best friend lives a short drive away etc. IF I moved out, I probably wouldn't move closer to work and would likely stick around this area just for all the people I like to see when I can. If I move closer to work or to another nearby city it would be more convenient for work/outdoor activities, but then I wouldn't see several people I love very often at all anymore. Hmmm, that may be an inevitable fact of life eventually.. but for now I can avoid it by staying put. As for dating.. I haven't really done any of that around them. I've only ever had anyone over to the house when they're not around basically. But if I were in a dating relationship with someone it might be a bit awkward having them around at first, but maybe not.. it might be just fine with them. I guess I'll find out if I meet the right guy while still living here.

No.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:24 pm

Jjancee wrote:
No.

Fortunately for me I don't have to impress women with where I live or what I drive etc - oh the benefits of being gay sometimes. :P

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Jjancee wrote:
No.

Fortunately for me I don't have to impress women with where I live or what I drive etc - oh the benefits of being gay sometimes. :P

Jj claims he's a gay guy (based on posts and gender in profile) but I think he's 100% female in disguise.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
For that matter, why is it less of an issue if a woman lives with her parents?

Because...it's men's fault, men aren't being as hypergamous as women.

In social hierarchy, an independent person is usually higher than non-independent person (and full independence is a strong indication of wealth/self-financing).

A non-independent woman (who is not independent because she's not economcally capable) would seek a man who is capable to give her a way out of her dependence on parents; so she wouldn't consider a non-independent guy.

And an independent woman, would see the non-independent guy lower than her so she wouldn't consider him too.

Also non-independent woman will always at least be viewed as a potential housewife, while a non-independent man is viewed as a potential...nothing (Even in the MOST liberal and developed countries, stay-at-home dads are barely 1% of all dads).

So in all cases, the non-independent guy is f****d.

The only way this to change, is when males become pickier and set harder financial standards on the mates they choose - when most independant men reject women who aren't independent (and wouldn't accept otherwise) - the same way how women evaluate men since ever.

Being a female who is not economically independent I can say that is not always the case, considering the guys I have dated and considered dating.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 3:07 pm

this is a joke explaining the living with moms judgement. if you all were in deep trouble with employment. you would ask to be back with your mom for a safe reason.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

sucks that California is one of the most expensive states to live in, it costs more than a grand a month even for a 1 bedroom apartment

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:22 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
sucks that California is one of the most expensive states to live in, it costs more than a grand a month even for a 1 bedroom apartment

Yep, here too in BC.. while you can rent a room for ~$500 or a small basement suite in the suburbs with no laundry for around the same or so, condos in the city have some pretty high rents. The new 500sf condos next to where I work have a few rentals in the building.. for $2500-2700/month.. and that's far from the most expensive neighbourhood in the city.