Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

dernhelm1984
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Jenny and I am from Texas. I am 27 years old. I was officially diagnoised with Asperger's this summer and I am still kinda in shock over it. For the past 15 years I've been treated for treatment-resistant depression with every medicine and technique under the sun, gone to numerous counselors, etc. and have honestly not lived a very happy life. The Asperger's diagnosis explains A LOT about me and why I have always been the way I am, and it fills in a lot of missing pieces that my doctors and counselors who were treating me just for depression couldn't explain.

I am still very confused about what behaviors of mine are from Asperger's and what come from depression (which I think has stemmed from the Asperger's the entire time) and how to get help. I am waiting to hear back from a behavioral therapist - I've never worked with one, just regular counselors - who might be able to help me modify some of my behaviors to help me function better and to just plain explain Asperger's to me.

At this point in my life I am so miserable that I've regressed to the point where I barely get out of bed and do not leave my house due to depression. I would love to know if there is anyone else out there who has been or is at this point in his/her life as well; it's a very lonely, scary place. I'm just plain tired of life now. Failure after failure, treatment for depression after treatment for depression, etc. - it's taken a heavy toll. I feel like I am 80 years old and I want to feel like I am 27.

Anyway, sorry to sound depressing (I'm good at that) - I am glad to be here and I hope I can make some new friends who share my problem and learn from all of you!

Jenny

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 1:04 pm

*peeks back at you* Hello :)
Yes I get depressed too, well I've had a lot happen to me so depression is normal to a degree.
I try to socialize with people who share some of my characteristics and struggles.
I have been so depressed I didn't get out if bed and that was because I had lots happen in great succession. I will never go there agaun. I embrace the people around me and I am not afraid to say " I need to talk".
Many here can relate to you and perhaps knowing some people who understand where you are coming from will help you stay strong. Its not easy to come out of those shadows and let the sun shine on you.

If you would like to talk more than feel free to private message me. I'm a good listener :)

dernhelm1984
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

Hi Music,

Thank you for the reply. :) I would love to find more people out there to socialize with who are like me - hopefully that will come. And like you mentioned, my current state of "bedridden and depressed" has come after I was hit by a bunch of big things, one right after another. So I hope I'll pull out of it soon; I've been in this place before and I've pulled out of it before so I can do it again, I hope. lol

Thank you for the offer to private message you if I need to talk! I might take you up on that. <3

Jenny

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

Welcome to WP from a fellow Texan!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

dernhelm1984
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2012, 3:17 pm

Yeehaw!! Thank you, Tim! :D

Damo78
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2012, 3:35 pm

Hi Jenny, you're definitely not alone. In the short time I've been here I've noticed that your story is quite a familiar one and definitely one that mirrors mine. I had years of anxiety and depression that kept recurring despite treatment, therapy and medication. It was only when I had to take a long time off work as a result of another depression last year that a doctor (who actually took the time to listen to me) suggested that I fit the profile of someone with ASD that I even started to look into this. Needless to say after loads of research I found that AS was the closest diagnosis and my GP agrees. I'm not diagnosed officially yet as it takes time and money to do so here in the UK as an adult, but since the day that doctor finally saw what nobody else did I've been able to look at myself in a new light and try to come to terms with who I am. It's been a long and bumpy ride so far, but I think you'll find that now you will turn the corner and you will hopefully be able to get on top of things and start enjoying life

Best wishes,
D.

dernhelm1984
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

Thank you, Damo78. It's comforting to hear that. <3

AspieCarrie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2012, 8:01 pm

Hi Jenny. :) I'm also in Texas, San Antonio, actually.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Hi, Jenny.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 12:44 am

Welkome to WP

MickImage

dernhelm1984