Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm

This is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone on the forum has some knowledge of chemicals and how to find/use them. I don't even know if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if anyone has worked with or knows where I can find potassium sorbate. I need it for food preservation purposes. Are there any household products that I could use as a substitute? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by i_wanna_blue on 10 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

Kevinjk seems like he'd be useful in this situation. He seems to know a lot about chemistry.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

Google "potassium sorbate vendor" for the country you are in.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:34 pm

http://www.meridianstar.co.uk/kilo/pota ... rbate.html

like fnord says potassium sorbate supplier brings up a zillion places.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:05 pm

I did try using google, but it just gave me suppliers who only sell in bulk. I don't need 100's of kg's, that's why i hoped someone on here could of helped. thanks anyway.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:08 pm

Then try a health food store, or one that specializes in beer-making wine-making.

I saw some for sale at one of those shops that specializes in expensive vitamin supplements.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:16 pm

i_wanna_blue wrote:
I did try using google, but it just gave me suppliers who only sell in bulk. I don't need 100's of kg's, that's why i hoped someone on here could of helped. thanks anyway.

I used google and posted a link for you.

That link supplies.

5 x 10 Gram Sachets
£3.99

50g is not the same as 100's of kg's.

Google harder.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Then try a health food store, or one that specializes in beer-making wine-making.

I saw some for sale at one of those shops that specializes in expensive vitamin supplements.

Yes I suppose I could try that. I just hope whoever sells it is able to sell it in small quantities. I guess I was hoping some chemistry buff would tell me to combine a couple of household items or something, and I could make some for myself, rather than searching for the stuff. But I guess that was a bit too optimistic :P

DC
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:21 pm

I just read what I posted and don't know if it sounds mean or not.

Yes, you can get this stuff anywhere in the world, yes they sell it online in small quantities.

Ebay sells 1.5 oz for $2.15 in the US if the UK link isn't doing it for you. but you never actually told us where in the world you are...

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

DC wrote:
i_wanna_blue wrote:

I used google and posted a link for you.

That link supplies.

5 x 10 Gram Sachets
£3.99

50g is not the same as 100's of kg's.

Google harder.

i'm not from the uk. but perhaps i should take a bit more time to check out all possible avenues. but i just don't wanna go on some wild goose chase. i'm not that patient. :P

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:31 pm

DC wrote:
I just read what I posted and don't know if it sounds mean or not.

Yes, you can get this stuff anywhere in the world, yes they sell it online in small quantities.

Ebay sells 1.5 oz for $2.15 in the US if the UK link isn't doing it for you. but you never actually told us where in the world you are...

No don't worry about it, I didn't find it mean. As I said earlier I was hoping I could perhaps find an easy way out, by combining some house hold stuff, but thanks for the help either way. :)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

Does it have to be potassium sorbate? Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) also works well as a preservative and it's easy to get in small quantities, from a pharmacy.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm

moved from Random Discussion to Computers, Math, Science, and Technology

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 12:42 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Does it have to be potassium sorbate? Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) also works well as a preservative and it's easy to get in small quantities, from a pharmacy.

I was wondering if ascorbic acid could be used. perhaps it's something i can look into. but as far as i know, it's not tasteless or odorless, which i think is the main reason it's not used so often. but i'm glad you brought it up. :)

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm

Take it from an Organic Chemist: if you can get the USP grade stuff already made; use it. To synth it you would need a background in the field as well as the glass ( in this case jointed lab glass like 24/40 or 29/42 and the like)as well as the precursor chemicals to make and purify it properly. Given the cost of the equipment & supplies needed and the time required to make it it is cheaper to get it another way. Unless ,you have a passion for it( hey I can hope, can't I? XD ) and are looking to gain the experience, that is.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 6:16 am

Telefunkenfan wrote:
Take it from an Organic Chemist: if you can get the USP grade stuff already made; use it. To synth it you would need a background in the field as well as the glass ( in this case jointed lab glass like 24/40 or 29/42 and the like)as well as the precursor chemicals to make and purify it properly. Given the cost of the equipment & supplies needed and the time required to make it it is cheaper to get it another way. Unless ,you have a passion for it( hey I can hope, can't I? XD ) and are looking to gain the experience, that is.

Wow that sounds pretty complicated. I never thought it could be that difficult. No I don't have a passion for chemistry :P I did physics in school and uni, but i was always completely useless at chem. anyway i did find a preservative, which i'm gonna check on monday. but thanks all for the help.