Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2006, 2:27 pm

As somone who loves computers. I am always looking at new ways to enjoy them. And as an AS sufferer, the best ways to meet new people and make convorsation for me are online. I am a fan of the Warcraft series, and Warcraft 3 was one of my favorite games. because I also like RPG's such as Oblivion, an MMOPRG like WoW would be right down my alley as the perfect way to meet new people and do things i like. However i am in a dilema, do i buy the game or not? Im not bowing to peer pressure, my few non AS friends all have ti and want me to get it, and i would be lying if i was not interested. I can easily pay the bills to play it. But do i really want it to interupt my A-Level studies. Im easily distracted, and i put mroe time into gaming then studyng, i need to improve my AS-Level grades, but would WoW really be a good use of my time when the pressure is on, and that i want to go to Uni next year. Unless i have good ways to manage my time, and can find ways to make me study, i would not risk the distraction. But it's a game which i would use to help improve my social skills and try to make new friends. My dad and Mum don't mind, but im still wary. Can anyone here help me clear my head?

Thanks

Chris

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:52 pm

You really shouldn't man.

I would concentrate on other things like Runescape or a game called: http://www.Nationstate.net

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2006, 2:57 pm

Thank you, i tried runescape and it sucked, and nationstate sadly got boring. Although i wonder if you play Pardus? :) Im on that one.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 4:06 pm

If i were you i'd get medieval 2 total war.

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2006, 5:22 pm

Yeah, but thats not online. I want to know about if WoW is sutiable for an Aspie. not about Medieval 2.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Oct 2006, 5:44 pm

DONT! It will ruin your life.

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2006, 5:46 pm

Whys that Alex? :) a warning in captials i know must be taen seriously.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 5:48 pm

World of Warcraft is a game designed to have infinite play time.

Do you have enough hours in a day to play a game designed to have infinite play time?

>Im easily distracted, and i put mroe time into gaming then studyng

So the answer to your question is:
No no no no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO!

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 6:38 pm

Depending on your financial situation, I'd steer clear of WoW and go with Guild Wars. No monthly fee, far less grind than WoW, MUCH better graphics and gameplay.
New chapter just went live last night, Nightfall. Been playing it for 18 hours straight and it. is. awe. some.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 7:48 pm

If you've got the money, why not.

I sometimes play it, it's fun.

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2006, 2:50 pm

As some fo you have seen, i am sufferng from really bad stress and depression. My parents are aware of this, i tihnk they want to help me and bought WoW for me, and im going to make sure it does not rule my life. I think it will help me at least try to chill. I need to cheer myself up. :)

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2006, 4:10 pm

I was in an end-game guild, and some of these "instances" can go on for a couple of hours at least. And if your guild is learning an instance? Ugh. Could be 6+ hours. I had a bunch of UI improvements and macros to make healing easy, so attending an instance didn't require too much attention... but still, I get antsy sitting at the computer for more than a couple of hours at a time. I'm not in a guild anymore and I just do PvP Battlegrounds, which is more casual and fun.

The things I miss about being in a guild are getting loots for my character (equipment) and talking on Teamspeak or Ventrillo. Had some good times chatting with others... but I was very nervous to talk on Teamspeak at first. I remember just saying how I was healing the main tank or something, and the whole guild goes crazy! "OMG I THINK A GIRL IS ON TEAMSPEAK" "NO WAY GUYS, LAWL. I DON'T BELIEVE IT" "WHO WAS IT, OH EM GEE" Took me a while to build up the courage to speak again :-P.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 6:10 pm

Topher wrote:
As some fo you have seen, i am sufferng from really bad stress and depression. My parents are aware of this, i tihnk they want to help me and bought WoW for me, and im going to make sure it does not rule my life. I think it will help me at least try to chill. I need to cheer myself up. :)

Be careful.

MMORPGs can be very addicting, and can easily take up time that would be arguably better spent doing things that you know you should be doing, like improving your grades (which you said you wanted to do). Even though there can be a lot of interaction with other people when playing an MMORPG, remember that it's still interaction with real people, and it is quite possible for you to get mentally tired of dealing with all the people. This is especially if things happen in the game that you don't particularly like. People can be insulting, people can be rude, they're often more blunt online, because some people think that they can get away with being an ass simply because it's online. If you find yourself losing control of the amount of time you end up spending on WoW, then that's a good sign that you've become dependent on it, and it'd be a good time to get out.

I hate to be the bringer of doom and gloom, but I have had bad experiences with MMORPG and people with AS. My friend (diagnosed with AS) was and still is addicted to video games. I first met him while playing Final Fantasy XI, another MMORPG. Since I last talked to him two months ago, I know that he now plays FFXI and WoW. His social and interpersonal skills were terrible before he started playing FFXI two and a half years ago, and now... well, he has regressed considerably. Something to keep in mind would be that he played FFXI 40+ hours per week. He has had a lot of trouble maintaining any form of control in his life, because he doesn't understand people. He doesn't understand many of the social situations that he encounters in the MMORPG, and frankly, most people playing the MMORPG are not going to sit around explaining these things to him. He has been dismissed often as an oversensitive baby, a control freak, and some of them have given expletives at him. He acknowledged that he couldn't interpret people well at all, and he even attributed that to the online aspect of the game. He once took two months away from FFXI, but then admitted that he kept looking up stuff online about FFXI, as well as started up WoW during that time. He was at first hesitant to go back to FFXI, because he said that FFXI was totally messing up his life... and yet he went back to FFXI anyway, thinking that he is now going to control his online game time. Yeah, he plays less FFXI... because he plays more WoW. :roll:

P.S. I do not play any MMORPGs, or any video games for that matter, any longer. With all the time to focus on school and real life face-to-face friendships, I'm much happier now, than I was back when I played FFXI. 8) If you want to learn a bit more about my video game-addicted friend, you're welcome to read some of my other posts ("Can't stop obsessing ...").

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 6:41 pm

Monthly fees, man. Monthly fees. If you like digital crack, than WOW is for you!

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2006, 1:36 am

I didn't actually like World of Warcraft much. It probably is the best MMORPG I've played, but it didn't really hold my attention.

It wasn't a bad game mind you, I'm not even sure what it is that I didn't like about it. In truth it probably wasn't anything, it just didn't continue to hold my interest.

I also didn't really feel like there was much socializing going on in that game.

If you want to get an experience roughly equivalent to a social experience, I would recomend you look into the D&D sorts of Roleplaying games, www.openrpg.com seems to have a few. I had some great experiences over on a Shadowrun MUSH (And some terrible ones, hence why I no longer play there. Just about everyone else that I still talk to doesn't play their either any more)

The advantage to these sorts of games is that if you have a good person managing the plot, you have many more options. (
You see an ogre, mauling a village. Your team mates all draw weapons.
I ask the ogre why he's mauling.
He explains that he's never really thought about it, it's just what he does
I ask him if he feels like he's limited, and note that he doesn't have to maul.
The ogre looks like he's deep in thought and notes that he will take up Buddhism.
Okay, now that he's a pacifist, I attack him.
... What?
Yeah, I kill him. Now that he's not harmful, there's no good reason to kill him. I don't like it when it serves a purpose when I kill things.
The other members of your party are all very scared of you now.

Try doing THAT in a video game (it would have to be a scripted event, which loses much of the fun))

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2006, 3:46 am

Dude it will addict the s*** outta you. I barely pried myself from its ever-devouring jaws a couple of months ago.