Have you ever been unable to watch a show due to an error?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 6:30 am

I was watching an episode of "Criminal Minds" when one of the characters said "sulfuric acid turns skin into soap" and I immediately closed the window. Acid DOESN'T DO THAT! In order to saponify organic material you need a base. Preferably one from the alkaline series. I couldn't take the series seriously after that. So has this ever happened to you?

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2012, 9:44 am

A bit OT since it's a comic book, but "the mutant detector" in the X-Men comics is impossible since almost everybody in real life is a mutant. I've heard that the average person has between 3 to 5 or even 7 to 10 mutations. They are usually so slight though, they are non noticable. i know-getting your science from The X-Men is phenonenally stupid, but it made me lose a lot of respect for the writer that he didn't do even the minimal research.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

I tend to get crap from pointing out script errors, plot holes and things like that. I watch quite a bit of sci-fi and often they'll pull the "never mind the stuff we found on the last mission that would make this trivial" move, or have illogical. Other things like the good guy who has been shown to be an excellent marksman on countless occasions has an open shot on the bad guy from about 10 - 15 feet but still puts his gun down.

Criminal minds tends to have this "for dummies" monologue by one of the main characters explaining what people who are paying attention pieced together 20 minutes earlier.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

There was an episode of Torchwood where a character reanimated after death found something impossible to do because he DIDN'T BREATHE...but he was TALKING. How do you talk if you can't move air across your vocal cords? I was pissed off about the stupidity of making this a major plot point and nobody spotting the error for the whole rest of the episode.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

I watched an episode of Supernatural, which began in a flashback to 1937, where H.P. Lovecraft is writing - on a type writer - while in his spacious, expensive home - and sensing something is dangerously amiss - takes a swig of alcohol.
That's three things that simply didn't apply to HPL -

He wrote in long hand.
He lived most of his adult life in poverty, so nothing too spacious and expensive.
He was a tea toddler.

As the show was dramatized horror, I was able to at least overlook the most blaring error, that Lovecraft was murdered by a demonic entity, rather than dying of bowel cancer. Still, I couldn't stop bitching to my wife about that opening scene, and couldn't enjoy the rest of the show.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

When I watch tv with someone else I have to make an effort to not point out and complain about things that are mistakes, stupid, or not like the book.

If I see errors in fanfics I just stop reading them.

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2012, 6:10 am

Whenever someone is cloned and the clone has the personality and even the memories of the original. I can´t see how that could ever work. Unless fairies or unicorns were invovled, then anything is possible.

A factual error is usually not enough to make stop watching a movie but it will affect my overall impression to some degree, depending on the severity of the error.

hanyo wrote:
When I watch tv with someone else I have to make an effort to not point out and complain about things that are mistakes, stupid, or not like the book

Same here, also I like to point out obscure references and similarities to other movies/tv shows. A friend of mine once sarcastically remarked: "I didn´t know we had the commentary track on".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 6:14 am

TheFerretHadToGo wrote:
Whenever someone is cloned and the clone has the personality and even the memories of the original. I can´t see how that could ever work. Unless fairies or unicorns were invovled, then anything is possible.

A factual error is usually not enough to make stop watching a movie but it will affect my overall impression to some degree, depending on the severity of the error.

hanyo wrote:
When I watch tv with someone else I have to make an effort to not point out and complain about things that are mistakes, stupid, or not like the book

Same here, also I like to point out obscure references and similarities to other movies/tv shows. A friend of mine once sarcastically remarked: "I didn´t know we had the commentary track on".

I've been accused of carrying on a running commentary by friends before, while watching a video/DVD, or television show.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 7:58 am

A character in CSI once found a camera at a crime scene, opened it, pulled out the film, and said "take this to the lab and have it developed".
Can't watch CSI.

I had a talk with a friend about this once, and he said he once asked his son how Spongebob could light a fire under water. His kid just looked up and said "dad, it's a talking sponge". :)

Generally I hate the idea of "suspending disbelief", but I can some times accept storylines where a character has some supernatural capabilities, as long as it stays somewhat within the realms of nature and logic. Superman's strength, flying and even the laser vision I can (almost) accept, but reversing the rotation of the earth (and thereby reversing TIME), no. No more Superman.

I don't believe in ghosts or an afterlife, but I still enjoyed American Horror Story.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 2:53 pm

Unspecified wrote:
A character in CSI once found a camera at a crime scene, opened it, pulled out the film, and said "take this to the lab and have it developed".
Can't watch CSI.

I had a talk with a friend about this once, and he said he once asked his son how Spongebob could light a fire under water. His kid just looked up and said "dad, it's a talking sponge". :)

Generally I hate the idea of "suspending disbelief", but I can some times accept storylines where a character has some supernatural capabilities, as long as it stays somewhat within the realms of nature and logic. Superman's strength, flying and even the laser vision I can (almost) accept, but reversing the rotation of the earth (and thereby reversing TIME), no. No more Superman.

I don't believe in ghosts or an afterlife, but I still enjoyed American Horror Story.

For me the suspension of disbelief very fragile, but works in a very selective way. I remember I was on a World of Warcraft forum and made the argument "It's not logical that someone can fire a gun accurately while shooting over their shoulder while running on uneven terrain" to which the reply was "Dude, you are shooting fire out of your HANDS!!"

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2012, 7:39 pm

TM wrote:
Unspecified wrote:
Can't watch CSI.

For me the suspension of disbelief very fragile, but works in a very selective way. I remember I was on a World of Warcraft forum and made the argument "It's not logical that someone can fire a gun accurately while shooting over their shoulder while running on uneven terrain" to which the reply was "Dude, you are shooting fire out of your HANDS!!"

I had this problem with lots of superheroes, especially Ant Man. He has made a serum that makes him shrink. OK, I accept that but why does his clothes shrink too? I think they developed some explanation about how his clothes were made of unstable molecules and therfore adapted to his body size. I don´t really get how that works but let´s just assume it´s OK for now. Then Ant Man uses the electronics in his helmet to call a swarm of winged ants. OK. But... IT´S THE MIDDLE OF THE WINTER.
Sorry, I just can´t buy that. Shrinking men, shrinking clothes, insect-controlling electronics - yes. But. No. Flying. Ants. In. Winter. Will never happen.
I know it´s ridiculous but that was my immideate reaction.

BTW I had the same issues with the first Superman movie. And it was like Superman cheated; if things didn´t turn out the way he wanted he could always return and change history. This time WITHOUT god mode please.

Endinglignt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

I can handle bad science and even when someone does something that should get them fired. Ie csi doll case the team playing with the model houses when they were hands off. What I can't handle is plot holes.

Take the misfits on Hulu. They have one person who can turn back time and only he remembers it. Later they everyone remembers important plot parts. Later when they upgrade their powers they have full masterly of them for no reason.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 2:04 am

showing my age here, on an episode of TOS, i laughed my ass off when i saw dr. mccoy describe the tribbles as "bisexual." :lmao:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 2:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
showing my age here, on an episode of TOS, i laughed my ass off when i saw dr. mccoy describe the tribbles as "bisexual." :lmao:

Hey, those little fur balls swing both ways! :lol:

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

Every conversation that takes place in a noisy night club annoys the hell out of me.
Have you ever been to a night club?
The music does NOT conveniently duck behind your conversation.
Every other word is HUH!?

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 6:37 pm

James Bond should be dead mid-60s.