Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 9:48 am

Does anyone have an irational fear of something? Up until I was 15 or so, I was afraid of the furnace, I was worried that it may not shut off, overheat and blow up. It was to the point that i would take a stopwatch and time it. The longest timing i had was 17 minutes and i would begin to freak if it got to 17:01. That fear may have arose from a time when it was malfunctioning. It was putting out a smell I can only liken to burning doritos. That time, the sound was very rough not the normally smooth sound it made. When it was malfunctioning, I ran for 28 minutes. When I was 13, it got to the point that i went and shut off the emergency switch.
The house I live in now has baseboard hot water heat on an oil fired boiler. Between 10 and 13 the house I lived in had those old steam radiator that would bang all the time. My fear may have arose from the time the relief valve failed and water started puring out from the side see image

I have been wondering if this type of fear was normal for aspies.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 1:45 pm

I am obcessed with my air conditioner (I live in Texas so this is VERY important in the summer) - if it is running I am afraid it won't shut off - if it is off I am afraid it won't start running again . . . if it is working ok I'm afraid that it will leak on my new carpet (there is a drainage valve for condensation that got plugged one time at this house and leaked all over the carpet) . . .

I am also terrifed of children (teenagers are ok because they look like adults), baby dolls, and wet paper . . .

So, yeah, for me it is normal . . .

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 3:57 pm

When I was about six I used to have nightmares about an electric heater we had. For some reason I can't explain I was terrified of it.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 4:29 pm

When I was younger I too would have fears about the furnace and air conditioner. If it ran too long or too short, I would make adjustments on the anticipator scale on out thermostat to get it to run for a length of time I found comfortable.

I also had a paranoid fear of mice chewing up the wiring in our house and starting a fire.

Once I junior high school I got upset in english class becasue the teacher put her papers down on top of a working VCR, blocking the vents on the back for cooling, when there was a warning label saying not to.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 6:17 pm

Yeah.

When I was little I was afraid of things that made a loud noise, like vacuum cleaners and the water going down the plughole in the bath.

When mum pulled the plug I would make sure I was out and well out of the room - seeing the noise was loud I thoght I was going to get sucked down.

As for now and teenage years. I did have them, but that was a result of an Obsessive Compulsive disorder. - I don't really want to talk about them.

OCD is not a nice thing to have as a burden. It's awful. I am not over it, it came back in a different way.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 6:40 pm

I have a fear of spiders.

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2005, 8:05 pm

As a small child, it used to frighten me if the telephone rang, particularly if I was alone in the house. As an adult, I have a pronounced fear of falling. This is likely because I fell off the top of a slide when I was a small child. I also fear being injected by needles. The most painful experience I have had in my life involved a doctor injecting a numbing solution into my wrist when I was a child. I also fear most insects (particularly flying insects), although I can't pinpoint any childhood experience that contributed to this fear.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 10:47 pm

When I was little I was terrified of the vacuum cleaner. I was also terrified of going upside down. When I was about two, someone flipped me upside down, and (just as a reflex) I dug my fingernails into their face and scratched them pretty badly.

Now, I'm terrified of roller coasters. I've also never been off of a diving board. Also things flying through the air towards me (like a ball or something) freak me out.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2005, 11:02 pm

I used to be scared of the hinges in the closet at my old apartment. (The things that connected it through the top, slide, etc)

I had my sister cover them up with paper once.

This was in the mid 90s.

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2005, 11:26 pm

I'm afraid of people, of hurting them and causing pain. I'm afraid of their stares, of what they might think.

I should stop caring. It doen't matter.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 11:34 pm

Bec wrote:
When I was little I was terrified of the vacuum cleaner. I was also terrified of going upside down. When I was about two, someone flipped me upside down, and (just as a reflex) I dug my fingernails into their face and scratched them pretty badly.

The vacuum cleaner never bothered me as a kid, but I never liked it too much when someone would pick me up. I remember distinctly thanksgiving 1981 when one of my uncles picked me up and held me high up over his head, just inches from the celing and spun me around. I was so frightened by the experience I couldn't even scream or cry afterwards

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2005, 12:19 am

Bec wrote:
I was also terrified of going upside down.

Now, I'm terrified of roller coasters.

I had that fear, too.

In school they made us play this game in which we had to do this upside down swing over a bar. I was the only one in the class that didn't do it properley because of this fear.

I've been on a roller coaster once, I don't like the feeling when it falls fast.

I could never bring myself to do a backwards roll, either.

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2005, 7:49 pm

i have an irrational fear of social situations

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2005, 8:37 pm

I have irrational fear of many things. When I go outside in the dark I am petrified because *just maybe* there might be someone lurking around to attack me. I am also terrified that the house will collapse.
Louisa

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2005, 8:49 pm

I have a great fear of our gas furnace. I'm always afraid it is leaking carbon monoxide fumes and we'll die in our sleep. I'm also afraid of leaving anything electical on when we leave the house. I check and recheck the door locks and make sure the coffee maker is turned off.

I am also afraid fo traffic jams because that is when most car accidents occur.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2005, 7:48 am

I was also afraid of tiolets flushing i would flush and run