Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ni_jal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2006, 2:22 am

It's not a college, but I'm really interested in doing a year course at a filmmaking place. Only six people can get in and I gotta write a two page application [have to include stuff about my experience which is hardly anything since I'm seventeen and why the course is best for me]. Could anyone help me get started on it? That'd be great, 'cause I'm pretty lost.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 12:07 am

Start with an outline. Or a list. List the things you've done (your experience) and your talents in the area.

Your outline may go something like this:

Paragraph 1: Introduction. Introduce yourself and give some of your personal information and background.

Paragraph 2-?: This is where your list can come in. For the things you've done and your talents which would be relevant, make each of those into a separate paragraph.

Final paragraph: Sum up why you want into the program and why you should be one of those six people who are accepted.

Be upbeat, confident, and bring across how much of a hard worker you are. Don't be cocky, but confident. And even if you don't have much experience, stress your strong points and what would make you valuable to that program.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 1:15 am

Sophist is mostly right and I do think you can be a little cocky in how you write the essay for the application. This person sounds humble is probably not what they're looking for. Film students are supposed to be a bit artsy right? They will want something that sets their imagination running in addition to sounding professional and well-written. Also, you might make statements like: "I have a lot of interest in film making, and I want to get the best education possible in it, which, I think, <filmmaking place> would enable me to obtain. The chance to join would be a fantastic opportunity for me."

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 2:07 am

Bullying is being punched in the face.

Bullying is verbal abuse.

Bullying is death threats.

This is what bullying is to me.

This is bullying to me.

ni_jal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse