Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 4:30 pm

soloha wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
SteveK wrote:
I think Corvus is right. MANY don't even understand that a syndrome is merely a collection of symptoms given a name rather than a disease, etc...

That's why I don't tell girlfriends I have AIDS...I mean it's only a collection of symptoms.

Lmao...I love your posts. You are SUCH a troll...though it appears one with a mission to provoke thinking...

Me too! I want to see what this guy is like in person :lol: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

brainstorm212
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2019, 10:32 am

bump of the thread? what?

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2019, 10:43 am

This is tricky, as one the one hand, it isn't directly contagious, and there is so much misinformation out there, telling someone who doesn't understand can give them the wrong impressions.

On the other hand, dating can lead to having children, and there is a genetically heritable component for sure. Further, a serious relationship needs to exist with trust and people on the same page. I don't think having big secrets will cause a relationship to work out well.

I don't think it needs to (or should be) brought up on the first or second date. If you're seeing someone and it starts going somewhere, I think it might be more appropriate to discuss the symptoms themselves. If they know you relatively well already, I'm sure they will have noticed that you are unique in some ways. Tell people that you feel like your brain works in a different way. You can talk about how you can really hyper focus on other things, how it often seems like you miss social queues, etc. What you say is depended on how you experience your unique brain. Talk about the positive sides and the struggles. If someone doesn't accepted that, they're not a good fit for you.

If things get serious and you think you might have children, at least I think you have an obligation to remind them that you think your brain works differently, that it has caused challenges in your life, and that you feel like there is a chance your future children could be similar. Even if you don't use the exact word 'Autism', they have a right to know that you're different and that it can be passed on to their potential future children.