Casein and Gluten have a drug-like effect on me

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 8:59 am

I've been realising for a longer time, that when I drank milkshakes or other milk products or ate much wheat products I felt like if I would have smoked pot. much more, I was diagnosed psychotic by my psychatrists.
then, when I didn't eat anything for two days for a slim shape I suddenly felt as clear as I never felt before. my whole sensation became much better. Out of a matter of fortune I read an article about gluten and casein having special effects on autists.
I started eating normal again, but just without casein and gluten products and still feel so clear... my psychosis hasn't vanished yet (it has just been some days until today) but I feel so much better already... Though I feel like in a drug withdrawal...
I'm sure my psychosis will leave in the next weeks or months, it might have been some kind of drug psychosis, if I keep my diet gluten and casein-less!
I just wanted to post that, so if anybody else has similar experiences it could maybe help him or her too.
and be aware, the sacrifice of gluten and milk products is not the only trouble this withdrawal will bring you... it's really hard!

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 9:02 am

Interesting. I have NVLD, and I've found gluten/casein removal has zero affect on me, though. But it's interesting how this stuff all works.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Apr 2012, 9:19 am

Both gluten, the largest protein molecule that we ever eat, ( a plant storage-protein which only came into existence at the end of the last ice age, and in one place on the planet, as a result of a rare type of grass plant mutation around 15,000 years ago, in what is known as the "Fertile Crescent", and is found in wheat, rye and barley, and also in lots of oats because processed in same factories ), and casein, in dairy products, contain food opioid peptides.

These are large proteins/amino acid "clusters" which would normally not enter our bloodstream or only in very small quantities, but in those people with unusually permeable intestinal membranes, which is about 5% of the general population, ( whether because of genetic predisposition or trauma, inflammation during or after gastrointestinal infection/illness, stress, or other temporary changes ), and 36% of people on the autism spectrum, ( there appears to be a subset of people on the spectrum with a genetic predisposition to this ... ) these food opioid peptides enter the bloodstream and reach the brain, where they have a significant effect/impact on several important neurological pathways, including those involving serotonin, dopamine and endorphins, eg: delayed reward behaviour and the closely related executive function among many others.

These food opioid peptides are indeed addictive, for those whose intestinal membranes are unusually permeable that is, ( such that the brain, from earliest infancy is exposed to abnormally large amounts of them ... ) . In addition both of these opioid peptides trigger the production of a chemical in the intestines which actually temporarily increases membrane permeability. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic ( increasingly common and caused by too much fructose and/or sugar consumption generally ) fatty liver disease also triggers increased intestinal membrane permeability ...

Certain researchers have been saying for decades that these chemical substances, druglike, have a profound effect on developmental pathways of neurological functioning, disturbing as they do not only our reactions to delayed reward, but also our relationship with our bodies and space and time, ie. physical reality.

And yes, they can be very very very hard to give up, as hard as sugar. And it can take a long time to get over cravings and withdrawal. Casein takes between 3-4 weeks to leave the body, and gluten can take up to 26 weeks/6 months. Changes in brain functioning may be observed for as long as a year or more after excluding gluten in particular.

But if manage to give them up, ( especially gluten, which seems to be the most pernicious for various reasons ), longterm and consistently, the rewards can be enormous ... for that subset/36% of people on the autism spectrum or the 5% of the general population whose intestines are unusually permeable. :)

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 9:34 am

ouinon wrote:
Both gluten, the largest protein molecule that we ever eat, ( a plant storage-protein which only came into existence at the end of the last ice age, and in one place on the planet, as a result of a rare type of grass plant mutation around 15,000 years ago, in what is known as the "Fertile Crescent", and is found in wheat, rye and barley, and also in lots of oats because processed in same factories ), and casein, in dairy products, contain food opioid peptides.

These are large proteins/amino acid "clusters" which would normally not enter our bloodstream or only in very small quantities, but in those people with unusually permeable intestinal membranes, which is about 5% of the general population, ( whether because of genetic predisposition or trauma, inflammation during or after gastrointestinal infection/illness, stress, or other temporary changes ), and 36% of people on the autism spectrum, ( there appears to be a subset of people on the spectrum with a genetic predisposition to this ... ) these food opioid peptides enter the bloodstream and reach the brain, where they have a significant effect/impact on several important neurological pathways, including those involving serotonin, dopamine and endorphins, eg: delayed reward behaviour and the closely related executive function among many others.

These food opioid peptides are indeed addictive, for those whose intestinal membranes are unusually permeable that is, ( such that the brain, from earliest infancy is exposed to abnormally large amounts of them ... ) . In addition both of these opioid peptides trigger the production of a chemical in the intestines which actually temporarily increases membrane permeability. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic ( increasingly common and caused by too much fructose and/or sugar consumption generally ) fatty liver disease also triggers increased intestinal membrane permeability ...

Certain researchers have been saying for decades that these chemical substances, druglike, have a profound effect on developmental pathways of neurological functioning, disturbing as they do not only our reactions to delayed reward, but also our relationship with our bodies and space and time, ie. physical reality.

And yes, they can be very very very hard to give up, as hard as sugar. And it can take a long time to get over cravings and withdrawal. Casein takes between 3-4 weeks to leave the body, and gluten can take up to 26 weeks/6 months. Changes in brain functioning may be observed for as long as a year or more after excluding gluten in particular.

But if manage to give them up, ( especially gluten, which seems to be the most pernicious for various reasons ), longterm and consistently, the rewards can be enormous ... for that subset/36% of people on the autism spectrum or the 5% of the general population whose intestines are unusually permeable. :)

oh, thank you very much, what a great post! :D

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

ouinon could you recommend a book or good website about this?

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:33 am

can i ask whats it like to have a psychosis?

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

The website marksdailyapple.com has loads of articles on gluten and casein.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/search-r ... ple.com%2F

Personally I follow a largely primal diet, and it does help with my mood amongst other things.

May be something you want to check out.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2012, 9:20 am

mntn13 wrote:
ouinon could you recommend a book or good website about this?

Sorry to take this long to answer. Hiatus over weekend.

Here, in no particular order and rather of a jumble, are several links to several rather good websites/forums/blogs/articles about gluten, casein, food opioids, and related. :)

"The Gluten File", an amazing site stuffed with information on gluten generally, at: http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/ and its forum at: http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/index.php

Two brilliant articles by Sayer Ji:
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-s ... e-sayer-ji and
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/openin ... an-disease

Good blog piece about withdrawal from food opioids etc:
http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/08/ce ... nd-casein/

Ignore the first few paragraphs about disability and scroll down to the sections on gluten etc at:
http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/a ... tein7.html

And at celiac.com, the grandaddy of sites on gluten from the celiac's point of view, but which increasingly covers the other ways in which gluten affects people:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21635/1/ ... Page1.html and
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic ... n-opioids/

And a link to a post of mine on WP a while back, :) with loads of links/refs to studies/papers/articles about intestinal permeability etc:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3129243.html#3129243

( One of many such posts/comments, some much longer, :lol and with even more refs/links, which I sadly haven't kept in my bookmarks :( )

And a great blog, by a psychiatrist of all things, on using "diet as your medicine", who has posted several excellent pieces about gluten and mental illness, mood disorder, etc eg. at: http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot. ... y-gut.html

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

It does seem that modern wheat has drug like qualities to it. Recall this article that Dr. Davis wrote on why that is.

"Wheat is an opiate"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/04/w ... an-opiate/

excerpt from his article:

"Although it is a central premise of the whole Wheat Belly argument, I fear that some people haven’t fully gotten the message:

Modern wheat is an opiate.

And, of course, I don’t mean that wheat is an opiate in the sense that you like it so much that you feel you are addicted. Wheat is truly addictive.

Wheat is addictive in the sense that it comes to dominate thoughts and behaviors. Wheat is addictive in the sense that, if you don’t have any for several hours, you start to get nervous, foggy, tremulous, and start desperately seeking out another “hit” of crackers, bagels, or bread, even if it’s the few stale 3-month old crackers at the bottom of the box. Wheat is addictive in the sense that there is a distinct withdrawal syndrome characterized by overwhelming fatigue, mental “fog,” inability to exercise, even depression that lasts several days, occasionally several weeks. Wheat is addictive in the sense that the withdrawal process can be provoked by administering an opiate-blocking drug such as naloxone or naltrexone.

But the “high” of wheat is not like the high of heroine, morphine, or Oxycontin. This opiate, while it binds to the opiate receptors of the brain, doesn’t make us high. It makes us hungry.

This is the effect exerted by gliadin, the protein in wheat that was inadvertently altered by geneticists in the 1970s during efforts to increase yield. Just a few shifts in amino acids and gliadin in modern high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat became a potent appetite stimulant.

Wheat stimulates appetite. Wheat stimulates calorie consumption: 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year, for every man, woman, and child. (440 calories per person per day is the average.) ....."

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

Jojoba wrote:
It does seem that modern wheat has drug like qualities to it. Recall this article that Dr. Davis wrote on why that is: "Wheat is an opiate".

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/04/w ... an-opiate/
Dr_Davis wrote:
Modern wheat is an opiate. ... Wheat is truly addictive. ... Wheat is addictive in the sense that it comes to dominate thoughts and behaviors. Wheat is addictive in the sense that, if you don’t have any for several hours, you start to get nervous, foggy, tremulous, and start desperately seeking out another “hit” of crackers, bagels, or bread, even if it’s the few stale 3-month old crackers at the bottom of the box. Wheat is addictive in the sense that there is a distinct withdrawal syndrome characterized by overwhelming fatigue, mental “fog,” inability to exercise, even depression that lasts several days, occasionally several weeks. ...

But the “high” of wheat is not like the high of heroine, morphine, or Oxycontin. This opiate, while it binds to the opiate receptors of the brain, doesn’t make us high. It makes us hungry. This is the effect exerted by gliadin, the protein in wheat that was inadvertently altered by geneticists in the 1970s during efforts to increase yield. Just a few shifts in amino acids and gliadin in modern high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat became a potent appetite stimulant. ...

That is an awesome site/blog!! ! :D Thank you so much for posting the link. ...

Totally agree about gluten's hunger, or more accurately "cravings", -inducing properties but I disagree about it, ( and casein, which I notice he doesn't seem to have any problems with ... ? ) not being an opiate like morphine etc though. I find/have noticed that they both give me a serious buzz, a heady out-of-body feeling/state in which virtual realities of almost any kind seem much much more interesting than when I am not eating either. I find books and films and discussion boards/forums and video games and simply "thinking", most language-based activites in general, way more absorbing, satisfying, fascinating/rich/involving etc when eating gluten and casein ... A regular pizza followed by some chocolate or creamy yoghurt or icecream, ( especially if I haven't been eating much or any wheat or dairy or sugar ) will send me totally; I will be euphoric, excited, become completely fascinated by some train of thought, enter into any decent book/film/video game far more completely, etc etc etc. And then of course there's the desperate downer/hangover, and then after a while there was manic-depression too, which is why I first ever went on an exclusion diet, and first began cutting out gluten.

I agree with Sayer Ji, whose articles I linked to above ( http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/dark-s ... e-sayer-ji and http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/openin ... an-disease ) that gluten ( and other relatively "new" plant storage proteins in grains containing high quantities of plant-protective lectins etc selected for by humans whether in wheat or rice ) may be implicated in some of the most immense profound far-reaching changes in human behaviour, from that of the neolithic revolution right up to today! :)

Last edited by ouinon on 19 Apr 2012, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

Reading through the comments thread on one of Davis' articles, I came across a link to this blog piece, from what looks like a well-informed paleo-practitioner's viewpoint, about Davis' book "Wheat Belly", with a careful analysis of what is missing from or inaccurate about Davis' argument. It's pretty good at exposing the holes in Davis' argument, while at the same time totally agreeing with the huge health benefits to be gained from excluding wheat, but along with *all* starchy carbohydrates, ( whether in grains or in certain vegetables ). :)

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/wheat-belly

The paleo-blogger's main issue with the book, apart from Davis' blaming of wheat alone, ( except when he doesn't just blame wheat and says that the high-starch flours used for gluten-free breads etc are equally bad for you!! ! :lol ) appears to be the argument/belief that wheat "used to be ok". McEwen argues, like Gary Taubes, Sayer Ji, and many others, that wheat and other starchy cereals and plant foods needing much cooking are all problematic and always have been.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Sorry to take this long to answer. Hiatus over weekend.

Here, in no particular order and rather of a jumble, are several links to several rather good websites/forums/blogs/articles about gluten, casein, food opioids, and related. :)

Thanks!, appreciate this as I've been wanting to look into this for quite some time - & no prob on the wait.

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

Wow - what a lot of great information!

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

friendly_ass
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

I'm glad some of you have discovered gluten and casein effect you so badly. You can now make the right choice, hopefully! I've discovered the same some time ago.

I feel a lot better not having them, and also, I've come to discover not having sugar makes me a lot more level headed too. When sugar was first discovered in the Caribbean it was described as a drug.

Eating it effects me almost as much as alcohol. The way I look at it then is I shouldn't eat it any more often than I drink alcohol - once a week at the most.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm

I've been gluten-free about 18 months and love it, the only thing I haven't been able to give up yet is beer (which is debatable as to whether it has enough gluten to affect the body; obviously it affect my brain, but that could just be the alcohol).

Haven't given up dairy yet but it doesn't seem to affect me the same way as gluten; cheese and yogurt are big comfort foods for me and don't cause any of the intestinal problems that are quite obvious with gluten.

Not that I am recommending it to others necessarily, but I used medical marijuana (not illegal where I live) to get through my period of gluten withdrawal.

Hoffe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

mushroo wrote:
I've been gluten-free about 18 months and love it, the only thing I haven't been able to give up yet is beer (which is debatable as to whether it has enough gluten to affect the body; obviously it affect my brain, but that could just be the alcohol).

Haven't given up dairy yet but it doesn't seem to affect me the same way as gluten; cheese and yogurt are big comfort foods for me and don't cause any of the intestinal problems that are quite obvious with gluten.

Not that I am recommending it to others necessarily, but I used medical marijuana (not illegal where I live) to get through my period of gluten withdrawal.

Comfort foods yeah cuz cheese has massive amounts of casein in it, 50% of cheese is casein.

Both gluten and casein give me an opiate effect, albeit not as strong as the one from opiate painkillers, it's still very similar. I plan on giving up both now but last time I tried to cut them both out I got horrible withdrawal and insomnia, so I should probably do it more gradually.

Any suggestions? I would do the pot thing but then I would probably end up addicted to pot instead munching out on whatever lol