Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

Ok, I am so freakin' naive sometimes. My daughter just alerted me as to what this means and I thought I would share this with all of you. Because I see it happen a lot and have always misinterpreted it. It happened to me for the first time and I feel like such an idiot for being duped. It was so classic.

Can you give me your definition? I would really like to understand it and not only how to spot it, but how the heck to get out of it. With some dignity.

CGKings317
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

To me, saying someone is "On the hook" for "x" means that person is responsible for whatever "x" is. Usually, though not always, this is said in the context of payment.

For example: 'John is on the hook for tonight's dinner' means 'John is responsible for paying for tonight's dinner'

Consider the context.

Hope this helps...

~CGKIngs317 :)

Last edited by CGKings317 on 19 Apr 2012, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

I'll wait for someone else to explain, because I have no idea.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

CGKings317 wrote:
To me, saying someone is "On the hook" for "x" means that person is responsible for whatever "x" is. Usually this is said in the context of payment.

For example: 'John is on the hook for tonight's dinner' means 'John is responsible for paying for tonight's dinner'

Hope this helps...

~CGKIngs317 :)

Oh, so like a favor...?

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

See this is why I was confused...my daughter says it is when someone likes you and hangs around you, they call you all the time. They act like it's a relationship, but it really isn't. They never talk about it, don't want to define it. Basically leading you on for a long time, even having sex with you and doing normal relationship stuff. This is my newly born understanding of it. I wish someone would give me a better idea how to define it and see it. With an aspie it is hard to see because aspie's don't like to go a lot of public places anyway.
I am sure a ton of people here want to know as well.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:51 pm

cinbad wrote:
See this is why I was confused...my daughter says it is when someone likes you and hangs around you, they call you all the time. They act like it's a relationship, but it really isn't. They never talk about it, don't want to define it. Basically leading you on for a long time, even having sex with you and doing normal relationship stuff. This is my newly born understanding of it. I wish someone would give me a better idea how to define it and see it. With an aspie it is hard to see because aspie's don't like to go a lot of public places anyway.
I am sure a ton of people here want to know as well.

I thought that was like "playing the field" or something... Urban Dictionary is helpful sometimes.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

Not sure if I really want to know.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:53 pm

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... the%20hook

Now I'm even MORE confused, haha. :roll:

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

I would say the urban dictionary definition is wrong, at least, for my part of the world. Here, "on the hook" just means you are liable or responsible.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

edgewaters wrote:
I would say the urban dictionary definition is wrong, at least, for my part of the world. Here, "on the hook" just means you are liable or responsible.

That's why I'm more confused. I could have sworn that's what it meant. I see it more as a favor that has to be repaid.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

So I am right about one thing...it is a new term for leading someone on? That is if you are on the "dropping everything on a moments notice" side.

Kicking myself in the butt...soooo bad. What a fool I am. Time to look up that song.... "Everybody Plays the Fool" But you know something? I'll get over it. At least now it makes sense. I can file it away along with all my other life lessons. My pride is the only thing hurt. I was honest and open and tried to be good to him. He strung me along like a violin. This will never happen to me again.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

cinbad wrote:
So I am right about one thing...it is a new term for leading someone on? That is if you are on the "dropping everything on a moments notice" side.

Kicking myself in the butt...soooo bad. What a fool I am. Time to look up that song.... "Everybody Plays the Fool" But you know something? I'll get over it. At least now it makes sense. I can file it away along with all my other life lessons. My pride is the only thing hurt. I was honest and open and tried to be good to him. He strung me along like a violin. This will never happen to me again.

Probably the new term for it. Sorry about what happened. :(

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2012, 7:38 pm

Thank you Kinme, I appreciate the sympathy.

Now I know why women who are falling in love will run. This has never happened to me before. Usually I am a pretty good judge of whether or not someone genuinely cares. This time I slipped because I thought he had issues. I knew that something was "off". I tried to run several times and I couldn't figure out why. Both of us being aspies can make a girl crazy trying to understand and stay, especially if she is being played for a fool. I had dated so many men that wanted a relationship that I became too confident. I finally found someone I could care for (I hate to say it) for the rest of my life. But I couldn't understand why he didn't declare it. I blamed myself for not showing him how much I cared.

Ok...enough self pity, now that I understand the whole thing, I can put it and him behind me.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

cinbad wrote:
Thank you Kinme, I appreciate the sympathy.

Now I know why women who are falling in love will run. This has never happened to me before. Usually I am a pretty good judge of whether or not someone genuinely cares. This time I slipped because I thought he had issues. I knew that something was "off". I tried to run several times and I couldn't figure out why. Both of us being aspies can make a girl crazy trying to understand and stay, especially if she is being played for a fool. I had dated so many men that wanted a relationship that I became too confident. I finally found someone I could care for (I hate to say it) for the rest of my life. But I couldn't understand why he didn't declare it. I blamed myself for not showing him how much I cared.

Ok...enough self pity, now that I understand the whole thing, I can put it and him behind me.

And you're better off that way too. Just know that you won't be hurt again like this (because you'll be able to identify better), and that you will recover and feel stronger from it.

RainShadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm

My first thought was "my coat". I was never good at that kind of thing. My husband spends half is time explaining things to keep from feeling stupid, but him having to explain it makes me feel stupid.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 1:56 am

RainShadow wrote:
My first thought was "my coat". I was never good at that kind of thing. My husband spends half is time explaining things to keep from feeling stupid, but him having to explain it makes me feel stupid.

I would more so think of a fish on a hook. Every time I hear the word "hook" I associate it with catching a fish, hahaha.