Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 45 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 2:11 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Finally, after having published Six Times The Terror a year ago, I've finally gotten it on audio, thanks to a marvelous narrator by the name of Johnny Walker (no, really, that's his real name!).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CR4DHF91/re ... 128&sr=1-3

Your narrator has the perfect voice for this!

I was thinking that most of the narrators would be from either India or the Philippines--like the majority of call center employees.

Did you listen to a sample of Six Times The Terror?

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 9:13 am

Yes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 3:42 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Yes.

8)

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 1:32 pm

Given the topic is "writing social interaction"--some might like to try writing scripts for stage or screen plays.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 3:18 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Given the topic is "writing social interaction"--some might like to try writing scripts for stage or screen plays.

I took a class called, Writing For The Screen, in college. Unfortunately, the class itself was disorganized, largely due to the instructor, a British writer named Roger King, who lacked preparation, and was himself personally a pompous ass. In the end, the class had gotten only a minimal of writing in.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 9:15 am

There are some free programs available:

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/4-free ... lsrc=aw.ds

Just start with a prompt and start writing. The program formats it for you.

My prompt was "a current news story." I took the fiasco involving Abby Grossberg at Fox News, and turned that into a stage play: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CS9YXKC6

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 6:36 am

The best advice I ever got on writing social interaction was this:

"Dialogue is actually more like two monologues that are only occasionally talking about the same thing."

As for autistic writers, I confess I don't know any who aren't writing about autism. I don't know of any successful fiction authors who are autistic, but maybe they don't want to make a thing of it?

When I used to go to a writing group one piece of feedback that I often received was that my characters seemed to be alone in their worlds, they seemed friendless and weren't really interacting with anyone. I wasn't doing that deliberately, of course, I wasn't writing 'autistic' characters, it just reflected my experience of how you get along in the world.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 7:35 pm

My Short Story "Pieces of Truth" (Opening Scene)

Genre: Psychological Thriller

Synopsis: Alice and her childhood crush David drift apart in the aftermath of witnessing the brutal double murder of two classmates. Years later, they unexpectedly reunite only to have their renewed romance interrupted when they both begin receiving bizarre messages from two people claiming to be their murdered friends from childhood.

Are their friends still alive and out for revenge?

Is someone playing a cruel joke on Alice and David?

Or is it a big misunderstanding?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn’t believe my eyes.

As I was on lunch break at work, I sat at a table eating my lunch when I saw a female customer waving at me from another table. Even though I already know this just like everyone, time of course changes people. However, this female customer who I haven’t seen since childhood hadn’t changed a bit despite being an adult just like me.

The pretty blue-eyed bespectacled blonde girl with a slender build saw my obvious confusion and spoke in a raspy voice.

“David!”

I approached her and I obviously pretended I didn’t know her.

“What would you like to order?”

“A Reuben sandwich with a side of cole slaw please.”

“What about drinks?”

“Just water.”

“Cool.”

I briefly looked around and wrote her order then giving it to the shift lead.

“Your number is nineteen. It should be ready within the next ten minutes, Alice.”

Alice laughed which wasn’t something I expected ever since the day that tore us apart when we were ten.

“Okay Alice, what are you doing here?”

“I wanted to eat somewhere different. What about you, David?”

“I have been working here for the past four years. You still live in the city?”

“No David. After what happened between us, my parents and I moved to a suburb where we got a fresh start. I attended an alternative school for middle school and high school, then my early years of college. What about you, David?”

“Oh, I still live here in the city with my sister and my mom even though Mom did not want me to work.”

“That is awful, David. Why?”

“An example is if she came in here and saw us talking, she would try to call the police and have you arrested.”

“That's insane. Why would they try and have me arrested when they forgot all about me after all this time, David?”

My mentor (a “family man” type) saw me and shouted, “David, get over here! Some orders are ready!”

“Just a minute!”

I looked at Alice and said to her, “Where will you be later, Alice?”

“David, I will be at the park that’s underneath the bridge. In fact, when was the last time you were there?”

“David, orders are ready!”

I obliged and gave out orders that were ready, including Alice's for the team worked very quickly.

“I was there several days ago.”

“Nice, David. What time will you get off?”

“At the top of the next hour.”

“Cool, David.”

She began to eat her sandwich and I continued to give out orders. Even though she tried to look out the window as she ate her meal, I knew for a fact that something unexpected had just happened to me. Could it continue even more despite the fact I haven’t seen her in years?

So, how do Alice and I know each other? Why did I mention we were torn apart when were ten years old and being childhood sweethearts for only a short period of time?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 8:31 pm

^^^ :thumleft:

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2024, 6:10 am

I hope this is the right place to show off one of my stories. Any comments, critiques, etc. are welcome. It is a short read (flash fiction, under 1000 words). And there is dialog which I believe works.

**TRIGGER ALERT** this is a homocide mystery story, with a description of the scene - if this sort of thing bothers you, probably best not to open link.

Scavenger Hunt

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2024, 10:11 am

I write fictional horror stories. I am currently working on an anthology. About social interaction with characters, yes, that can be challenging for me --- trying to sound logical about what is going on in the other characters' minds. For that reason, I find it easier for me to write in third person limited. I have also dabbled with first person narrative and have come to find it an interesting approach, but I still favor third person limited. I must admit, I too feel like I don't write well-rounded characters. Maybe it is for that reason why I write stories in the fantastic and mystical worlds of horror --- things aren't too realistic there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2024, 2:06 pm

glider18 wrote:
I write fictional horror stories. I am currently working on an anthology. About social interaction with characters, yes, that can be challenging for me --- trying to sound logical about what is going on in the other characters' minds. For that reason, I find it easier for me to write in third person limited. I have also dabbled with first person narrative and have come to find it an interesting approach, but I still favor third person limited. I must admit, I too feel like I don't write well-rounded characters. Maybe it is for that reason why I write stories in the fantastic and mystical worlds of horror --- things aren't too realistic there.

You and I have a few things in common, then. I'm also a writer of short horror stories, and I've got six books out on Amazon; four anthologies, and two novellas.