Page 8 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2012, 12:55 pm

snapcap wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
Snapcap, please stop speaking for other people. Please.

We are aware you do not understand it... and you don't have to understand it. But there are people who "lack a belief in a god".

That is what atheism is, a lack of an affirmative belief in god. (To be without a god, to be godless) Some atheists have a belief in the negative, ie they have the belief that there are no gods. But! Some atheists simply lack a belief in gods altogether. They are absent a belief in this matter.

Again, you don't have to understand that mindset, I certainly don't ever expect you to be capable of it.... but there are people who are, and do have that mindset. To claim that there isn’t is dishonest, to claim it is impossible and they are wrong is insulting and quite arrogant of you.

So again, please stop speaking for the worldview of others. You are not in their mind, you cannot speak for their thoughts, and certainly are not the authority of what beliefs or lack thereof are possible.

Show me how I'm wrong then. The idea of God is pervasive all over the world. You believe it to be true, with a certain flavor, or you believe it to be false, for your own reasons. Saying you don't believe either way is taking the position of an infant.

Hey, newsflash since this is your favorite way to troll every topic you walk into: so. What?

No, seriously. So what? Atheism (as opposed to anti-theism) is a lack of belief. If infants, rocks, cats, and expended shotgun shells are all technically atheists by this definition, what does it matter? Bones are 'hard'; rocks are also 'hard'. A human might be described as 'cold', meaning a lack of empathy or concern. If that expended shotgun shell also lacks empathy or concern, is it not also 'cold'? There's tons of things humans do that you can technically attribute to the inanimate or the incapable, and I don't see you raising a freaking stink about any of those. Bring a better game to this argument or freaking drop it.

I've lost all patience with this BS.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 12:59 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
snapcap wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
Snapcap, please stop speaking for other people. Please.

We are aware you do not understand it... and you don't have to understand it. But there are people who "lack a belief in a god".

That is what atheism is, a lack of an affirmative belief in god. (To be without a god, to be godless) Some atheists have a belief in the negative, ie they have the belief that there are no gods. But! Some atheists simply lack a belief in gods altogether. They are absent a belief in this matter.

Again, you don't have to understand that mindset, I certainly don't ever expect you to be capable of it.... but there are people who are, and do have that mindset. To claim that there isn’t is dishonest, to claim it is impossible and they are wrong is insulting and quite arrogant of you.

So again, please stop speaking for the worldview of others. You are not in their mind, you cannot speak for their thoughts, and certainly are not the authority of what beliefs or lack thereof are possible.

Show me how I'm wrong then. The idea of God is pervasive all over the world. You believe it to be true, with a certain flavor, or you believe it to be false, for your own reasons. Saying you don't believe either way is taking the position of an infant.

Hey, newsflash since this is your favorite way to troll every topic you walk into: so. What?

No, seriously. So what? Atheism (as opposed to anti-theism) is a lack of belief. If infants, rocks, cats, and expended shotgun shells are all technically atheists by this definition, what does it matter? Bones are 'hard'; rocks are also 'hard'. A human might be described as 'cold', meaning a lack of empathy or concern. If that expended shotgun shell also lacks empathy or concern, is it not also 'cold'? There's tons of things humans do that you can technically attribute to the inanimate or the incapable, and I don't see you raising a freaking stink about any of those. Bring a better game to this argument or freaking drop it.

I've lost all patience with this BS.

Bones are 'hard' and rocks are also 'hard' Sure, but why is that?

Are you saying that atheists can be atheists without a reason, like they just decide things all the time with nothing to back it up?

Is it magic?

OH YOU!

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2012, 1:09 pm

snapcap wrote:

Bones are 'hard' and rocks are also 'hard' Sure, but why is that?

Are you saying that atheists can be atheists without a reason, like they just decide things all the time with nothing to back it up?

Is it magic?

OH YOU!

No, but thank you for again failing to get the point in the most obnoxious manner possibly available to you. What I'm saying is that you don't need to do anything to be an atheist. You don't have to decide that one or more gods don't exist, you don't have to take a stance about religion. You probably do anyway (human nature being what it is), but all you need to get your membership card is to not believe in a deity. If aforementioned lack of action is shared by the inanimate, so what? I never had religion in the first place myself, and when I was first exposed to it (on a school bus in the 2nd grade) my response was, "Oh. No, I don't believe in that." I didn't say that I felt it was false (as I now do) or that it was bad or otherwise take any stance on it whatsoever - I just didn't believe in it. They'd failed to convince me to take up a positive stance.

Now, what you're constantly talking about (believing that there is not a god or gods) is anti-theism; the active (positive) stance that deific power does not exist in the universe. If you're going to split goddamn hairs, split them correctly, aye?

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2012, 1:13 pm

Quote:
LOL, OK, Let me consider your concept that "Holding a belief in the negative about unintelligible nonsense is insane, because to do so, you must accept that that unintelligible nonsense is a concept, to form a belief in the negative"

I'll have to believe that it isn't true, because I'm not insane, am I?

Wow, I think this guy is actually mentally incapable of grasping the concept of "I don't know".

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 1:54 pm

snapcap wrote:

Proving once again that we humans are, on the whole, a primitive species.

Refusing either to deny or affirm a proposition which is beyond empirical affirmation or denial is merely to assert that the proposition is blithering nonsense.

The assertion "There is a God who Created the Heavens and the Earth" is a nonsensical dish of word salad. If the proposition cannot be addressed (1) either empirically or (2) as a provable or disprovable mathematical proposition then it is pure nonsense. Most of what we utter is nonsense.

ruveyn

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2012, 1:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Most of what we utter is nonsense.

ruveyn

In a hilarious case of irony, including that statement (by your definition).

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:13 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
What I'm saying is that you don't need to do anything to be an atheist. You don't have to decide that one or more gods don't exist, you don't have to take a stance about religion.

Just like a baby, or a stick. We aren't talking about hot or cold, or tall or short, we're talking about a position someone takes, that has the mind to do so, after they are exposed to a concept.

You are saying that you are comparable to a rock, but that's false. You aren't a rock, or a stick, or an infant, or Tarzan living in the trees.

The concept has been exposed to you in many instances, and you have no choice but to belief either way because you can't say for sure.

Quote:
You probably do anyway (human nature being what it is), but all you need to get your membership card is to not believe in a deity.

You can only get that membership that you describe if you were born on a primitive island where everyone around you defecated as you walked.

Quote:
If aforementioned lack of action is shared by the inanimate, so what? I never had religion in the first place myself, and when I was first exposed to it (on a school bus in the 2nd grade) my response was, "Oh. No, I don't believe in that." I didn't say that I felt it was false (as I now do) or that it was bad or otherwise take any stance on it whatsoever - I just didn't believe in it. They'd failed to convince me to take up a positive stance.

The difference is that you have a mind to come to a position with. Maybe rocks have minds, what do you think?

"Oh. No, I don't believe in that." doesn't presume that you don't believe in the opposite. You have no choice, if you don't believe it to be true, then you believe it to be false.

What's the differences in saying "I don't believe in that" and "I feel it is false". I'm not seeing what the difference is.

Just because you don't have a positive affirmation one way doesn't suppose that you don't have a positive affirmation the other way.

"I don't believe it and that is my non-position" Is what I hear when people declare their atheist to be a non-belief. Now that doesn't make sense!

Quote:
Now, what you're constantly talking about (believing that there is not a god or gods) is anti-theism; the active (positive) stance that deific power does not exist in the universe. If you're going to split goddamn hairs, split them correctly, aye?

There is no such thing as positive or negative atheism. There is only atheism and it's the belief that God does not exist, but the reasons for believing such differs from atheist to atheist.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:15 pm

Rainy wrote:
Quote:
LOL, OK, Let me consider your concept that "Holding a belief in the negative about unintelligible nonsense is insane, because to do so, you must accept that that unintelligible nonsense is a concept, to form a belief in the negative"

Wow, I think this guy is actually mentally incapable of grasping the concept of "I don't know".

Knowledge doesn't describe an atheist or theist. If I had knowledge of something, it's absurd to merely believe.

"I believe 1 +1=2"

Now doesn't sound silly to you? It should.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:25 pm

ruveyn wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Proving once again that we humans are, on the whole, a primitive species.

Refusing either to deny or affirm a proposition which is beyond empirical affirmation or denial is merely to assert that the proposition is blithering nonsense.

The assertion "There is a God who Created the Heavens and the Earth" is a nonsensical dish of word salad. If the proposition cannot be addressed (1) either empirically or (2) as a provable or disprovable mathematical proposition then it is pure nonsense. Most of what we utter is nonsense.

ruveyn

There's a lot of nonsense our scientists and researchers haven't discovered yet, doesn't mean that is so. Ideas start out as beliefs, otherwise how could any research get started?

"I'm going to pursue this idea because I neither believe it nor disbelieve it" :?

They believe it because they feel there is some substance to what they are doing, but they won't know until they get their results. A colleague might berate them for pursuing something they can't believe: "That will never work, you shouldn't believe that it will", it's not, "That will never work, you shouldn't believe that it will or that it won't"

Math is a subset of the world, not the other way around. There are no such things as these objects math describes, but there are simulacrums of what math describes. Reality isn't based on 0s and 1s. If it is, then that's new to me, and to a lot of people.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:27 pm

NarcissusSavage wrote:
...You do not understand. The word "god" holds no meaning to me. In my mind that word is nonsensical. It is devoid meaning. It lacks a cohesive or intelligible concept. Thus I have no beliefs regarding whatever nonsense people are trying to imply with the word "god"....

Oh now, that can not be entirely true. When someone mentions Aphrodite, you think of a female that is more than just some chick. When someone mentions Horus, you think of a buff guy with a bird head. When someone mentions Ra, you think of a giant eye in a R shape.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:39 pm

shrox wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
...You do not understand. The word "god" holds no meaning to me. In my mind that word is nonsensical. It is devoid meaning. It lacks a cohesive or intelligible concept. Thus I have no beliefs regarding whatever nonsense people are trying to imply with the word "god"....

Oh now, that can not be entirely true. When someone mentions Aphrodite, you think of a female that is more than just some chick. When someone mentions Horus, you think of a buff guy with a bird head. When someone mentions Ra, you think of a giant eye in a R shape.

Finally, a reasonable atheist.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:41 pm

You won't get the time you spend arguing with snapcap about this back, he knows your mind better than you!! !! !! !! !!111oneone

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:44 pm

Rainy wrote:
Quote:

Children cannot grasp the concept of uncertainty. They can grasp the idea of not knowing something, but they cannot grasp the idea that something is not known by anyone with any certainty. There is certainty in the world, to them. It takes learning to get over fear of the unknown. Some people find this too difficult, and go their whole lives with this childhood problem. Often building complex rationalizations for it.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:59 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Rainy wrote:
Quote:

Children cannot grasp the concept of uncertainty. They can grasp the idea of not knowing something, but they cannot grasp the idea that something is not known by anyone with any certainty. There is certainty in the world, to them. It takes learning to get over fear of the unknown. Some people find this too difficult, and go their whole lives with this childhood problem. Often building complex rationalizations for it.

How is a belief certain? Belief has uncertainty to it.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 2:59 pm

shrox wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:

And, when someone says "Jesus" you think of a dude with the skin complexion of Boris Johnson, dark blond hair and nails through his hands. When someone says "Ghost" you may think of Casper and when someone says "Superhero" you may think of Superman, doesn't mean that any of it is real.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:48 pm

TM wrote:
shrox wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:

And, when someone says "Jesus" you think of a dude with the skin complexion of Boris Johnson, dark blond hair and nails through his hands. When someone says "Ghost" you may think of Casper and when someone says "Superhero" you may think of Superman, doesn't mean that any of it is real.

I was referring to your concept of having a complete blank under the subject "god" in your memory files. There is some data there...

When I think of Jesus, I think of a somewhat small, rather dark skinned man, with dark hair and eyes. The spike were most likely driven through the area just above the hand and wrist, although the arms were likely tied to the crossmember as well. Much of his skin was probably flayed way from his back and shoulders. The Roman soldiers probably had to rest after beating him.

Mormons say it was a pole or "tree", with his arms tied and spiked above. That would allow one to catch one's breathe by pulling your body up with your arms, on a cross one's arms are out stretched, so one could not lift one's body to catch one's breathe.

Yes, I have examined Jesus. Examined, not just accepted what I heard.