Have you ever made a sarcastic joke? Do you understand them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CMichele
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

I make sarcastic jokes all the time, and I do find them to be funny, especially on TV where I can rewind to process it. About 50% of the time I can get sarcasm made by other people as long as I know them well enough to know they're being sarcastic. I have had some embarrassing and awkward moments though where I've missed someone's sarcasm and gotten upset or had to ask them if they were serious. :oops:

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2012, 1:56 am

I don't understand sarcasm at all. I have to look up the defintion in a dictionary.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:30 am

I understand sarcasm about 80% of the time, the rest of the time I get it quite wrong in embarrassing ways sometimes. I myself can be very sarcastic.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:38 am

Yes I have made sarcasm jokes but I have fallen for others because I wouldn't know they were being sarcastic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 4:10 am

I can tell if somebody's joking, 95 percent of the time. But there are some jokes that have offended me, even if I knew they were joking. I know that some jokes are inappropriate, which is why people try to offend some in a jokey way to get their honest opinion out but trying to not make it sound offensive to the other person, which doesn't always work on that person (whether's it's me or somebody else).

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:18 am

When I make sarcastic jokes people think I'm serious so I don't make them anymore to avoid awkward situations.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:33 am

i am sarcastic much of the time but nobody ever interprets it as sarcasm and there is awkwardness. and i do not always pick up on sarcasm and then there is awkwardness. i think i will just give up. i swear people think i am an idiot half the time because they do not understand when i am being facetious or sarcastic and i do not understand when they are doing the same and i just end up feeling hurt because i cannot tell if it is light hearted or not.

deathsign
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2012, 5:54 am

I understand sarcasm, but it's harder for me to understand them than for most people. And sometimes when I try to be sarcastic I turn out being awkward.

WORST PROBLEM: HAVING AS

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 6:36 am

I am always cracking sarcastic jokes... I can understand NT's sarcastic Jokes, but the Sarcastic Jokes of another aspie really throw me....

7Theresa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2012, 10:19 am

For me it's interesting to read that many of you use sarcasm yourselves but have trouble understanding the sarcastic comments of others. My best friend has Asperger's and among all the people I know she is probably the one who uses sarcasm the most. This actually contributed to my questioning her diagnosis at first (I'm still not completely convinced, but I've read that girls often show different symptoms than the typically known ones). I was surprised when she told me that she sometimes has trouble understanding irony used by others - apparently this is especially a problem with literature. Now I see that this phenomenon is not unique to her.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:19 am

A lot of the time it takes me a second or two to pick up on sarcasm. A few days ago I went out with a few people who also use wheelchairs. A few times they said something like "Damn cripples" . My first thought was "I can't believe he just said that!" Then, a second later I caught the sarcasm and the joke.

Usually when someone says something sarcastic, my first thought is "WTF?". Then It clicks in my head and I get the humor.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Last edited by jetbuilder on 06 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

Yes. Yes.

zamor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

Yes and yes. But not always, sometimes I interpret something said seriously as a sarcastic joke. It's a bit embarrassing...

AQ: 43
BAD: 129 aloof, 104 rigid and 116 pragmatic.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

Danimal wrote:
I don't understand sarcasm at all. I have to look up the defintion in a dictionary.

:lol:

Wait.... that was sarcasm, right? :?

I don't like people who are sarcastic when I ask a question. I think it is rude and not at all funny. What makes it worse is when people nearby such as friends laugh...feels downright humiliating. I think from an objective perspective it is easy to find it funny, but when you are faced with it head on it can be awful. Once, I asked a guy if he was joking and his answer was "however you want to see it". I was very confused and upset.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

I like sarcasm. Sometimes, I don't understand it in others, but that is inherent to sarcasm in general -- I don't think it is related to ASD.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

My wife would tell you that sarcasm is the only way i communicate, however often, it's accidental. I remember as a young teen a neighbor and her newborn were out showing off the baby, mom had a warm proud smile as well as a healthy "glow". a few people said "She's Beautiful!" thinking they meant the mother, I remarked "And the baby is cute too!" which sent all present into loud laughter.. totally accidental, it took me a minute to realize why it was such a funny.