Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

Sighing...my boss sighs like every 5 minutes and each time, is like I want to SCREAM. >_<! !! ! Oh and my dad's chewing noises....dear GOD I want to punch through a wall when I hear him.....

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 4:19 am

Any noise a kid/baby makes, anything very high-pitched (most people can't hear) or excessively loud vehicles (race cars, motorcycles, cars without a muffler, stupid big trucks, etc)

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2012, 5:31 am

Music played too loud for the equipment it's played on - it doesn't have to be loud per se for it to be annoying. This includes people playing music from the tiny tinny speakers on mobile phones.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 7:08 am

Penandinkmarie wrote:
Sighing...my boss sighs like every 5 minutes and each time, is like I want to SCREAM. >_<! !! ! Oh and my dad's chewing noises....dear GOD I want to punch through a wall when I hear him.....

The chewing noises problem is called "misophonia". I have it too. Slurping is horrible - cannot stand it. I only discovered three years ago that heaps of people have it - including a few people I had known for decades. Basically, it is a sensitivity to ordinary sounds - not loud, sudden, high-pitched sounds, but typically an intense reaction to particular mouth or nose sounds (e.g. eating drinking, sighing, snoring, slurping, chewing gum, etc). It often runs in families - one of my children has it. And it usually begins around 8 to 13 years of age (I was 12, my daughter was 13, when we first noticed that we found particular sounds excruciating). Quite a few people with ADHD or OCD have this type of sound sensitivity, and quite a few with no diagnosed conditions at all other than the misophonia. It is not the most common type of sound sensitivity among Aspies, but it comes up fairly regularly here.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 7:19 am

People sneezing loudly more than 3 times in a row and inadvertently hesitating to sneeze before they do each sneeze
People clearing their throat, keep going ''mmmm-hmmmmm-mmmm'', then turning it into a subconscious habit
People making that irritating noise when they yawn, especially if they do it really loud because it just startles me
People talking whilst having a short hiccuping or burping session, instead of stopping for a few seconds until they feel clear of gas (just annoying when they keep pausing mid-sentence to hiccup or burp)
People pulling a plate out from the bottom of a big pile of plates so it makes a deafening clatter
Kids yelling right outside my house
Toddlers and babies screaming
People walking in the room above me, always sounds like they're stomping or marching
People slamming doors what don't need to be slammed, just out of laziness of avoiding pulling the handle down first
Neighbours banging
TVs murmuring from the next room
People talking really loud when they don't need to
Girls giggling or children giggling
People revving loud motobikes or cars just for the fun of it
Workers in shops throwing plastic boxes down that make a distracting bang
Buses that hiss (the stupid buses in FirstGroup have louder brakes than buses in other companies, God I hate FirstGroup!)
Dogs barking at garden gates, especially the little ones what you can't see so they pop out of nowhere and let out an almighty yap which makes you jump out of your skin and almost deafens you (didn't know such a small creature can make such an immense sound)

Last edited by Joe90 on 27 Jun 2012, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jun 2012, 7:21 am

one-A-N wrote:
Penandinkmarie wrote:

The chewing noises problem is called "misophonia". I have it too. Slurping is horrible - cannot stand it. I only discovered three years ago that heaps of people have it - including a few people I had known for decades. Basically, it is a sensitivity to ordinary sounds - not loud, sudden, high-pitched sounds, but typically an intense reaction to particular mouth or nose sounds (e.g. eating drinking, sighing, snoring, slurping, chewing gum, etc). It often runs in families - one of my children has it. And it usually begins around 8 to 13 years of age (I was 12, my daughter was 13, when we first noticed that we found particular sounds excruciating). Quite a few people with ADHD or OCD have this type of sound sensitivity, and quite a few with no diagnosed conditions at all other than the misophonia. It is not the most common type of sound sensitivity among Aspies, but it comes up fairly regularly here.

Sometimes my own breathing sets off my misophonia.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 8:48 am

Another question that's kinda connected to the topic: Do you have noises that make you feel certain emotions for no apparent reasons?

Whenever I hear a baby crying or church bells, I get sad. And I haven't the faintest why.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

Dogs barking, loud vehicles, babies/children crying or yelling, deep sighing (makes me think you're angry for some reason), high-pitched voices, lip/tongue smacking, the sound of noodles being stirred (that squishy noise), people hissing their "s"s, lisps, slurping, crowd noises, silverware scraping plates... Pretty much what you folks have already covered.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:01 am

Talking to yelling. Don't like the sound people make.

I'm fine with pretty much everything else.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

stryofoam.

Rubbing pieces of it together.

Styrofoam containers shaking in the back of car.

Its like chalk on a chalkboard, but far worse.

Nothing is as bad as that!

If they used styrofoam sound on the inmates of Gitmo- we wouldve tracked down Ben Ladin years earlier!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

Sanctus wrote:
Another question that's kinda connected to the topic: Do you have noises that make you feel certain emotions for no apparent reasons?

Whenever I hear a baby crying or church bells, I get sad. And I haven't the faintest why.

Sad music in sad films make me cry.

Scary music in scary films make me scared.

Songs that remind me of certain times in my life make me feel neither sad nor happy but give me a ''pain'' because the memory is so strong. Sometimes I have tears in my eyes when I hear a song that reminded me of good times in my childhood, probably because I want that time back again.

But these emotions over these kinds of sounds are normal, most people get this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:37 am

phonographic surface noise, and analog tape hiss/blower noise/windchest leakage from pipe organs.

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 9:50 am

TV - can't stand the sound unless I'm watching it (once in a blue moon);

Babies/children

Heavy traffic

Music, unless I'm the one listening to it (which I usually do inside a car to block traffic sounds only)

High-pitched voices (some women... rare in men)

fireworks... oh GOD fireworks

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

chain saws in full cry, 2-stroke dirt bikes "WINGWINGWINGWINGGGGG-ING-ING-ING" up close and in the distance.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

Definitely my worst peeve is having to hear "eating noises". Slurping, chewing, crunching, and even flatware tinking on the plate, whatever. I just can't take it, and I have to leave the room if there's not enough background noise to drown it out a little. Luckily, restaurants are usually noisy enough to be fine. At home, or when a guest at a home of someone else for dinner, I have to work hard to keep from making faces or obviously being annoyed.

Charles

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 11:24 am

For some reason, the sound of air conditioners starting up really irritates me. At the moment, I am aware of a high-pitched "humming" from the A/C unit outside of my window: while it does not evoke any serious discomfort, it does irritate me a bit.
Anything high-pitched that is non-musical irks me.
Music with too much going on at once--most pop music, the trance/rave/dubstep genre--is physically painful to me.
I also dislike the sound of water quickly clashing against metal...unless I expect it. I sometimes cringe when someone is doing the dishes while I am in my room. When I am doing the dishes myself, however, the sound is tolerable.

Quote:
Do you have noises that make you feel certain emotions for no apparent reasons?

High-pitched buzzing evokes a bit of paranoia in me. Granted, this could be out of fear that the machine emitting the buzzing is somehow radioactive or releasing a harmful substance.
Oddly enough, music that is supposed to make me feel "angry" (songs about being a monster, death, rebellion, ect.) makes me feel upbeat and optimistic, and I am not a violent person, by any extent.
Most other types of music--barring the types mentioned in the first section--has a bit of a meditate effect on me--especially classical music.
I love classical music. :D