Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

I started this thread as a reaction to the amount of unpleasant rhetoric and bullying that was starting to appear in the work and finding a job forum.

Two facts, firstly the unemployment rates for people on the autistic spectrum in any OECD nation even in boom times are between 80%-90%.

This is far, far higher than the unemployment rate for most other forms of disability, it is much easier to get and maintain employment if you are deaf, blind or in a wheelchair.

Second fact we currently have the toughest job market in living memory this graph from June 2012 shows you just how bad things are in the USA at the moment and the USA is in a much better situation than Europe where some nations currently have national unemployment rates 3 or 4 times higher than the US figures and youth unemployment of 50%-70%.

[img][800:737]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NaGuPdnffEI/T_bclZslf8I/AAAAAAAAODQ/P4I-fuSaOuY/s1600/EmployRecJune2012.jpg[/img]

This is a support site, it is here so that the community can help and support each other with the problems they have in work and finding a job, if all you have to offer is bile and rhetoric kindly take your opinion and stick it.

Alternatively you can spew it out on the Politics, Philosophy and Religion forum where you can bash people over the head with your pet delusions and ideologies all day long.

Ta very much. :wink:

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 1:53 pm

Great post.

I'm having a nightmare finding work even though I have nearly a decade of experience, excellent references, customer commendation letters etc. I actually interview very well, but I can't even get an interview! I've just been turned down for a job at McDonalds after filling in the on line application. I will do anything, and I'm sure I will find something soon but it is very disheartening.

I started working in 2001 during the boom years in the UK. In those days where I lived if you wanted a job you could get one. In my naivety I never imagined I would find myself in a situation where there was so little work available. I have zero sympathy for those who sat around on the dole during the boom years but many people who are out of work now find themselves in that situation through no fault of their own. It is worth us remembering the phrase 'There but for the grace of God go I'.