Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 2:41 pm

I'm looking for a new video game, but I don't want one that's like all the others. Please post a short review of your favorite game here.

My favorite game is the Axis and Allies RTS that was made in 2004. There are several rough edges in this game, such as an idiotic AI, no good online ranking system (although I kind of like this because it makes a more casual atmosphere), somewhat unbalanced civs (although they are not any more unbalanced than the civs in AOE III), and a number of useless units. However, they introduced a number of unique features that will not be found in any other game, and they managed to maintain a level of strategy similar to AOE III and Starcraft II while reducing the micromanagement to the point where it is almost never necessary to use hotkeys. The things that make this game for me are the fact that you purchase regiments rather than individual units (which drastically reduces micromanagement), your regiments can regenerate if they are supplied properly (this concept is entirely absent from other RTS games), the terrain can significantly alter the fighting abilities of the units, and the unit stats are complicated enough for unit counters to work because of qualities inherent in the unit (rather than arbitrary damage multipliers, as in AOE III). There is an economy in this game, but it is so simple to run that you spend 9/10 of your time paying attention to the battle. I think your skill in this game is approximately correlated to your intelligence because there is no apparent correlation between your gaming ability and your experience after a player has played about 100-200 games (for me the learning curve was about 30 multiplayer games). This is in stark contrast to AOE III, where there are 50 ranks and the only difference in play between ranks 20 and 50 are the players' familiarity with the hotkeys.

sininen
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2012, 8:02 pm

Hi. I am not experienced with strategy games but seeing your post made me think of few youtube channels which I sometimes watch that do "let's play" kind of videos with mostly strategy games, and maybe you can find new games there. I linked each one twice, the 2nd link of each has "playlist" view that has a list of the games they played. I hope it helps! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/QuasiBelgium
http://www.youtube.com/user/QuasiBelgium/videos?view=1

http://www.youtube.com/user/LordsOfTheGreenLeaf
http://www.youtube.com/user/LordsOfTheG ... eos?view=1

http://www.youtube.com/user/Estrategy002
http://www.youtube.com/user/Estrategy002/videos?view=1

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 9:05 pm

Amnesia
Limbo
Braid
Half-Life 2
Flower

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:19 am

A game that's not like all the others?
You mean like "The Movies"?
A game based on making movies and being successful in the movie industry.
It's okay but I'm not too keen after playing it for a month or so but it's still kind of unique.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

acentupleflat
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 6:05 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Amnesia
Limbo
Braid
Half-Life 2

all good, different games. especially braid.

I have been kind of just getting back into games. From the looks of it, Dark Souls (pc) is looking really good. er max payne, pay day. all i got.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2012, 2:42 am

Darksiders and it's sequel are a nice Zelda + God of War combo.

Any Total War game is a.... genre of it's own. Campaign map with many diplomatic and sneaky tactics, and when units battle, it's RTS, with moral, fatique, weather, ammo, weaknesses and strengths. There's even strategies for hiding in trees, taking the high ground or defending bridges. Great game series.
I haven't played it yet, but I heard Sword of the Stars follows kind of the same gameplay, but in space.

The Elder Scrolls games are again genres of their own. Level up any skill you want with practice, do the main quest or just put it to the side to do endless exploring for treasure and secrets and tons of side-quests. Tons of interesting characters to meet and talk to/play with/fight. And the modding community is among the most active, increasing it's amount of replayability.
Skyrim is of the same series, but broke the mold and is a much more casual style game now (You can see some of this happening in Oblivion.).

Those games are for PC.
I don't think I'll post for other consoles unless you would like me to.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

Valkyria Chronicles.

Majike
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

---PSN---
Limbo - Slightly morbid, but a really interesting puzzle game
JOURNEY - One of the best games of all time; a very deep adventure with an amazing score.
Flower - From the makers of Journey, where you play as a petal; surprisingly deep and great fun!
fLow - Again, from the maker of Journey and Flower... not so much a game game as a relaxation exercise. Very groovy, and cheap!
Stacking - A quaint, innovative game by Tim Schafer, where you play as Russian stacking dolls; features a classical soundtrack!
Quantum Conundrum - Similar to Portal, in its premise, featuring the fantastic voice actor John de Lancie (Q from Star Trek, Discord from My Little Pony)

---PS3---
Katamari Forever - The Katamari series is WEIRD, but fun. The only real way to describe it is to watch a video.
Portal 2 - A splendid physics-based game featuring the voice talent of Stephen Merchant, which won (if I remember correctly) Game of the Year.

---PS1/PSN---
Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko - A rather unique platformer, featuring a splendid score and very memorable levels.

---N64/Wii Virtual Console---
Pokemon Snap - A game where you take pictures of Pokemon! Really great fun, and relaxing.

I hope this helps! :)

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

Thanks guys. I'm trying out "Empire Total War" and I'll return to this page if I get tired with this one.

Rudicuul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2012, 10:26 am

Terranigma on the SNES. Emulator + rom can be found online, that way you can play it on the pc.

I really, really enjoyed that game when I was a kid.

Link with a review; have only read the beginning of the review and it looks like a nice one.
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/terranigm ... gma-3.html

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2012, 1:20 pm

If you can get into turn based strategy, Civilization 5 will end you lol. With the amount of DLC, I would cancel all plans for the next five years. Same goes for Skyrim, although with Skyrim you're talking real time open world RPG.

Samual
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2012, 2:08 pm

Im currently playing a text based mass user dungeon, or 'MUD', called Hell. The game is set in the near future after 'the collapse' of society, caused by nuclear war. As said, the game is text based. When something attacks you you see "Mean Connie launches an attack at you!" pop up on the screen. When you move to a new location you see "you move east into the next room". When there are people around you see "Popbob is standing here" and "Scruffy Gilly is standing here, attacking Popbob". The lack of conventional visuals may put many players off of the game but the thing to remember is that when the creators arnt spending all their time making new models for mobs and locations they can spend more time making content. This game is not even a quarter the size of WoW in terms of world size but the content within it is vastly superior. The game isnt about killing as many mobs as you can within 5 minutes, you can make a non combat character and still have a build thats useable and valuable to many other players and corporations alike.
If anyone is interested in trying it out, have a look at http://hellmoo.org/charon/. The main site look a little out of date because the majority of the updates and the like are kept within the games mail system. If you find you like the game, you should ask chatnet what a mud client is, how to get one and about their benefits.

Page Malakia if you need a hand in game.

Somberlain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

Hearts of Iron III

English is not my native language. 1000th edit, here I come.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:59 pm

Somberlain wrote:
Hearts of Iron III
You should have pointed out this strategy game has HUGE learning curve.

DragonB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2012, 2:04 am

Murloc rpg games.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2012, 5:59 am

I, too, second Terranigma.
In terms of story-telling, amazing music and memorable gameplay all around, I would rank it close to Final Fantasy VII. That is, in my own opinion.