What is the weirdest special interest you've had?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

Yes I have been described as scary aswell, people say my eyes are beautiful but scary at the same time (I don't understand that!)

In school my teachers asked me to maybe bring different books into school to read as I would bring my serial killer books in and read them to avoid a meltdown.

It's good to talk to someone who understands this interest :)

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 10:02 am

After watching the movie Sucker Punch, I got into reading about lobotomies for a few days.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

scsam
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2012, 6:20 pm

I won't go into detail about it, but it was a storyline on a soap opera years ago that I'm still obsessed with to this day. I can't even figure out why myself. The weird part is that it wasn't a particularly good storyline and I'm still obsessed with it. I've seen better storylines but I'm not obsessed with those like I am this one :? . Doesn't make sense to me either. I hate soaps now though.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:29 pm

My main passions are video gaming and bass guitar, and I'd say they are quite fun and purposeful. Video gaming teaches wya more than most people think it doe,s like improving spacial intelligence, ability to memorize paths etc. Bass guitar helped me appreciate the music I listened to way more.

I think my most embarrassing obsession was Rammstein. Horrible monotone vocals, uncreative riffs that are so generic of the scene in germany and the infamous "Buck Dich incident." At the time I think I just forgot there were good industrial metla bands like American Head CHarge.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

Is your special interest "productive" or "purposeful" ? Do you gain knowledge with your special interest? Does it involve practicing a skill? Is it a hobby? Is it FUN? Or is it none of the above?

Not at the moment. I have a few special interests, but none of them are productive...they just satisfy my need to put information into categories. One is finding random people in my area who I should model myself after socially (I have no idea why I do this as it's creepy, but I'm coming clean and realizing I've been doing this since the days of Myspace). This is my "coming out" so to speak as I haven't really told anyone about this.

Another is ASD issues, particularly services for young adults. I am trying to round up some people for a social group in my area, but the group only meets once a month. As well, I want a job where I can offer services and advice to people but unfortunately the best way I can do this is through my sessions on ASD, which are few and far between despite me newtorking my butt off. Also, finding and cataloging young adults with ASD in my province...just a lists of names/places/ages...I don't contact them in any way.

I always seem to make tons of lists, which are repetitive, predictable and very relaxing, but these are kind of creepy, since they are lists of actual people. I don't understand why it always has to be about actual people. It's just something about it that satisfies something in my brain. I want a normal interest!

And finally, what is the WEIRDEST special interest you've had?

The patterns of women's bathing suit backs which I counted at the beach, drew repetitively, and arranged into categories.

I'm not kidding, either!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:48 am

Watching ants.

As a kid, I would stand on anthills and watch the ants. These are the big Texas black and red ants that are everwhere in some parts of the state. Obviously, I got bit a lot. At one church picnic when I was really young, I apparently crawled onto anthill and got so many bites that they took me to the emergency room.

Later I learned to stand to the side and didn't get bit so often.

The last time I stood by an anthill and watched the ants run around? I'm 58 now and it was this past Tuesday. I was at someone's house and they showed me the anthill where they had killed all the ants with poison. They were sure surprised to see it swarming with ants. They went back to the house to make a note to remind themselves to get some more insecticide while I stayed behind and watched the ants for a few minutes.

I don't know why, but it still mesmerizes me.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

My weirdest interest is electric pylons

The reason i like them is the way they look.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

eric76 wrote:
Watching ants.

As a kid, I would stand on anthills and watch the ants. These are the big Texas black and red ants that are everwhere in some parts of the state. Obviously, I got bit a lot. At one church picnic when I was really young, I apparently crawled onto anthill and got so many bites that they took me to the emergency room.

Later I learned to stand to the side and didn't get bit so often.

The last time I stood by an anthill and watched the ants run around? I'm 58 now and it was this past Tuesday. I was at someone's house and they showed me the anthill where they had killed all the ants with poison. They were sure surprised to see it swarming with ants. They went back to the house to make a note to remind themselves to get some more insecticide while I stayed behind and watched the ants for a few minutes.

I don't know why, but it still mesmerizes me.

Ants fascinate and horrify me at the same time. I follow ant trails all the time. Some of them mysteriously peter out and I can't see where they came from or went to. But don't let me catch ants in my house!! !! :evil:

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

Most of my obsessions have involved cartoons; Garfield, Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, though my two current ones are completely un-cartoon related; Star Trek and dinosaurs. I'm not sure how many other nineteen-year-old girls have bookshelves full of dinosaur figurines, but I'm assuming not many. One of my weirder obsessions was with deadly diseases. I went through a period where I read everything I could get my hands on concerning Ebola, Marburg, smallpox, all the nasty ones that kill you in about five days flat. I still have no idea why I became interested in them, I just picked up "The Hot Zone" one day and that was that. Pretty sure my mother is glad I'm over that phase! Two other mini-obsessions that only lasted a few weeks but still crop up every once in a while are my inexplicable fascination with eyeglasses, and left-handedness. I have absolutely no idea where the interest came from, I just found myself on the internet one day for hours at a time studying the history and different models of glasses, and the uncommon affliction that is being left handed. It was a little weird even to me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 9:31 pm

Most of my obsessions revolve around collecting. Yes I know all collecting is bad and a sign of insecurity and greed and leads to compulsive hoarding and eventually your home becomes unlivable like all those shows on TV. Whatever. :roll: But one kind of really weird thing I used to collect was those blobs of slime you used to get out of gumball machines at the mall. I had all kinds of different slime, in different colors and scents. I used to slime my plastic figurines of cartoon characters like on You Can't Do That on Television. :lol: After a certain time however the goo became too sticky and was hard to wash off my hands and I ended up throwing it away. During the 90's it was troll dolls. I adored them, Mimi from The Drew Carey show had nothing on me. I had all kinds of troll dolls and would organize them in OCD-like fashion in my room, for example I'd have a row of trolls all dressed in different uniforms like doctors, nurses, firefighters, police, and I'd have a second row of baby trolls with diapers and bibs or whatever. I once even built a miniature Troll Town for some of my tiny troll dolls to live and would role-play and make up stories with them. That was when I was in my early 20's! And deep down even I knew what I was doing wasn't quite "normal" even though I knew nothing about Asperger's or that I had it, but whenever I tried to stop or gave my collections away I'd be just full of anxiety and feel horrible...

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

My main interests are theatre and music, which I made the conscious decision to put in the front seat over my other special interests. My less useful (to me) ones are skyscrapers and public transportation. Of course, public transportation is useful, but I care much more about memorizing subway maps and designing infrastructure for cities with weak transportation systems, I have no interest in the realities of procuring land, raising funding, and organizing the construction of transit. Likewise, I don't think I would work effectively on a transit board, because other members would likely not share my passion for, nor see the same value I see in rail transit.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

When I was very little I had an obsession with playdough and making the biggest ball of it I could. I was around 4 I suppose and I had a ball of playdough the size of a basketball. My parents stopped buying it for me.

After this my strong solid interests are drawing, fantasy storylines and musicals/music. Most of my interests that come and go are centered on music or musicals, drawing, or something on the fantasy genre that has strong similarities to D&D.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

tjr1243 wrote:
Is your special interest "productive" or "purposeful"?

Do you gain knowledge with your special interest? Does it involve practicing a skill? Is it a hobby? Is it FUN?

Or is it none of the above?

And finally, what is the WEIRDEST special interest you've had? :)

At the moment, for some strange reason I don't have a special interest... Maybe it's a sign of the end of the world... This was a joke by the way. :wink:

I have had some that were productive and purposeful. I would say being interested in writing fiction and my interest in learning about the Autism Spectrum were very productive. I was able to get a lot done while writing fiction, I have a novel I'm working on, but I'm in the editing phase, and editing kind of killed my interest in it. :( With my interest in the Autism Spectrum, I became educated on something I had once known nothing about. Both of those were fun though and could have been called hobbies because I do like to learn new things I have never known before and because I love fiction.

At one time I did have a special interest that I hoped would be productive, but it kind of went away and got replaced by a new one before it could be productive. I tried to invent my own language. I didn't name it, but I invented an alphabet of symbols and assigned sounds to them. I also invented rules for putting the language in writing, and instead of inventing punctuation symbols, I decided that in writing, a letter should be used at the end of a sentence to represent ". ? or !" This interest went away and then returned many different times and I managed to invent a total of 87 words.

I have had lots of others that were interesting, but might have been productive if I had been interested in them longer, such as tornadoes, weather radar, and religion.

I have had lots of weird ones though and there are so many to choose from in answering the final question. But, a while back, on another website I use, when people go offline, it says how many days each person has been offline, and somehow I became interest in that, so I guess that is the one I will choose as my weirdest one. It was because of this that I created what I call the # file. I've made posts about it before, but it's a record of how many days have passed since certain events in my life took place.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Is your special interest "productive" or "purposeful"?
It was productive i used to get paid for reading tarot cards.

Do you gain knowledge with your special interest? Does it involve practicing a skill? Is it a hobby? Is it FUN?
I considered it a profession for around year and half and then i quit it because of various reason. It was hobby, it was fun
and did involve practising a lot.

And finally, what is the WEIRDEST special interest you've had?
I started developing special interest around age of 26-27 it started with spirituality reading excessively about star children, gifted children
then aliens from neburia and how we evolved from aliens.
Then i moved onto astrology, tarot and alternative healing.
After 1-2 years i realised something seriously wrong with me.....

Presently its drawing, painting and colouring.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

I think the weirdest special interest I've had is really campy exploitation/horror movies (you know, like the ones in the "Something Weird" compilations). I haven't seen very many of those movies, but the couple that I have seen were actually pretty good. I did rent "Rosemary's Baby" on Amazon Instant Video (I watched trailers on Youtube that piqued my interest) and watched it last night, and honestly felt like it was kind of a letdown. :?

I think that probably where this particular interest came from is that when I was at my mom's house, I'd be 10 or 11 years old watching something like "Dragontales" or "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" (which I still watch now and then - it's a way for me to recapture how stable, loved, and secure I felt in the years prior to my parent's divorce) and my stepdad would come in the room and make some kind of comment on how it was a show for little kids and that I should have other interests. I never really had any idea what I was supposed to enjoy watching....Dawson's Creek? Seventh Heaven? No one ever told me. I guess no one will make fun of me for liking horror movies, though, so....yeah.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by LtlPinkCoupe on 08 Sep 2012, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:58 pm

If I have any obsession at all that's been purposeful or productive at all, it's my drawing cartoons. During my teens and early adult years I did get some minimal short-term fame and fortune from getting my hand-drawn comic strips printed in Halifax's local newspaper for almost a year when I was around 19. Some people think that's amazing, but personally I don't. :( Back then I had unrealistic hopes it was the start of bigger and better things, like getting a job in animation or something. I was even interviewed about it on the news. I also used to go to occupational therapy and made some cash putting hand-made designs on t-shits, although I hated that people would only really buy the shirts with licensed characters on them, which I felt was wrong and I wanted MY characters to be recognized. although putting clever or funny slogans with them helped a little. Some people have seen the handmade dolls I've made and liked them so much they'd pay me to make one for their kids, but the money mainly went into the supplies I needed to make the second doll and it never looked exactly like the first one since I didn't use patterns or anything. I sometimes now use my crafting and drawing to make gifts during holidays or special occasions. I don't get paid but making a gift by hand is extra special... as long as the person you give it to appreciates your time and effort and would not rather have something from the store! That's the problem with selling crafts, most people don't really care about the work you put into them and if you try selling them a a flea market you'll be lucky if you make enough money to cover the cost of the table you rented. :(