Don't you just hate heterosexuals sometimes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 7:59 am

The ignorant ones that is. Who deny that transgenderism is real, and deny that females have feelings for females, and males have feelings for males.

I don't understand what they can't accept about that? It's just pure ignorance! I for one, blame religion. If there was no religion, there would be none of this. People are only homophobic because of the so called stories in the Christianity bible, and then people have been brain fed this information.

Can you honestly blame so many LGBT's for being Atheist? Fair play if you are still religious and LGBT, but I don't see the point.

I am not hating on religion by the way. I just f*cking hate some religious people for the way they go about things when it comes to LGBT politics.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 8:07 am

I often think that people misinterpret the bible, but I don't think this is the place to go in to it. I find it impossible to see the thought process behind such people who hold those beliefs though. Do they honestly believe they should be allowed to dictate and limit the feelings of other people? Bah.

Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2012, 9:05 am

It's not heterosexuals, it's people. People are stupid, that's all there is to it.

Take a leaf out of dirty harry's book. hate everyone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRkCemeV7k[/youtube]

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Aug 2012, 10:47 am

here is one of my fave quotes about hate:

"It's not only necessary to know how to go about loving your enemies, but also to go down into the question of why we should love our enemies. I think the first reason that we should love our enemies, and I think this was at the very center of Jesus' thinking, is this: that hate for hate only intensifies the existence of hate and evil in the universe. If I hit you and you hit me and I hit you back and you hit me back and go on, you see, that goes on ad infinitum. It just never ends. Somewhere somebody must have a little sense, and that's the strong person. The strong person is the person who can cut off the chain of hate, the chain of evil."

delivered at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, AL

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Try loving the people that hate you...they dont know how to handle that. :wink:

Jojo

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 11:40 am

I think that it is nonsense to blame religion as the cause of heterosexism. Religion perpetuates it, to be sure, but there are plenty of places where homophobia and heterosexism have had free rein despite official or widespread atheism. Just because homophobia and evangelism walk hand in hand in the United States does not mean that this is the norm the world over.

stumbling_forward
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

I believe I understand where you're coming from MightMorphin, I and appreciate everyone else's comments.

I've grown to love and hate people on their own terms. People can be great or awful in their own special and unique way(s). To riff off of the very apt (and beautiful) MLK quote provided by jojobean: it's about the content of their character, not the color of their skin (or their sexual orientation, gender-identification, faith or lack thereof, or any other bullsh_t, surface-level difference that our xenophobic asses just love to focus on and whose importance we love to over-inflate).

It's not religion, per se. It's fundamentalism. And our xenophobic, tribal impulses. And a false belief that the random assortment of often-times conflicting data swirling around in our cerebral cortex is somehow sufficient to form a rigid belief structure that explains away anything and everything. We do like our 'us and them,' 'black and white' binary thinking. We're lazy that way.

Alright: now that I've offered my 'considered opinion,' my actual, knee-jerk reaction is more long the lines of Mr. Bill Hicks, who immortally stated that: People suck, and that's my contention. I can prove it on a scratch paper and pen. Give me a f___ing Etch-a-sketch, I'll do it in three minutes. The proof, the fact, the factorum. I'll show my work, case closed. I'm tired of this back-slapping "Aren't humanity neat?" bull___t. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

See? How in the hell can I reconcile my appreciation for MLK's honorable and empathetic sentiments with Mr. Hick's all-pervading pessimism? I dunno, I just can. We're no stranger to hypocrisy. And cognitive dissonance is easily fended off my the ego of most, myself included.

I suppose it comes down to this: It's really satisfying to blame some small or otherwise marginalized group you've no appreciation or understanding of for all of one's problem.

Easy, too.

And we LOOOOOVE easy.

Regards to all.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Aug 2012, 9:25 pm

stumbling_forward wrote:
I believe I understand where you're coming from MightMorphin, I and appreciate everyone else's comments.

I've grown to love and hate people on their own terms. People can be great or awful in their own special and unique way(s). To riff off of the very apt (and beautiful) MLK quote provided by jojobean: it's about the content of their character, not the color of their skin (or their sexual orientation, gender-identification, faith or lack thereof, or any other bullsh_t, surface-level difference that our xenophobic asses just love to focus on and whose importance we love to over-inflate).

It's not religion, per se. It's fundamentalism. And our xenophobic, tribal impulses. And a false belief that the random assortment of often-times conflicting data swirling around in our cerebral cortex is somehow sufficient to form a rigid belief structure that explains away anything and everything. We do like our 'us and them,' 'black and white' binary thinking. We're lazy that way.

Alright: now that I've offered my 'considered opinion,' my actual, knee-jerk reaction is more long the lines of Mr. Bill Hicks, who immortally stated that: People suck, and that's my contention. I can prove it on a scratch paper and pen. Give me a f___ing Etch-a-sketch, I'll do it in three minutes. The proof, the fact, the factorum. I'll show my work, case closed. I'm tired of this back-slapping "Aren't humanity neat?" bull___t. We're a virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.

See? How in the hell can I reconcile my appreciation for MLK's honorable and empathetic sentiments with Mr. Hick's all-pervading pessimism? I dunno, I just can. We're no stranger to hypocrisy. And cognitive dissonance is easily fended off my the ego of most, myself included.

I suppose it comes down to this: It's really satisfying to blame some small or otherwise marginalized group you've no appreciation or understanding of for all of one's problem.

Easy, too.

And we LOOOOOVE easy.

Regards to all.

I can understand being profane and profound at the same time...that does not make you a hyprocrit, but a complex person... an oxymoron.

Jojo

stumbling_forward

15 Aug 2012, 8:34 am

jojobean wrote:
I can understand being profane and profound at the same time...that does not make you a hyprocrit, but a complex person... an oxymoron.

I'm flattered by your statement. You just described my favorite type of people, those who are simultaneously "profane and profound." I still boldly claim my own hypocrisy. At the very least, in my opinion, I'm aware of it. That's got to mean something.

Regards to all.

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2012, 9:37 am

The bible doesn't even say anything about gay women. Also, the thing in the bible which says "men, shouldn't sleep with other men", is thought to be a mistranslation of "older men, shouldn't sleep with younger men".

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:55 am

MightyMorphin wrote:
The ignorant ones that is. Who deny that transgenderism is real,

In that other thread, where that guy denied transgenderism, your response was basically to get pissed and yell at him. That's not a very effective way of either trying to persuade him or trying to inform him. I think logic, facts, and science were all on your side. I think you could have made a watertight argument. If it bothers you that people don't know something, inform them.

The cure for ignorance is knowledge.

Also, whether or not you ended up persuading him, a well constructed argument might end up persuading several lurkers.

Quote:
I am not hating on religion by the way.

Honestly, it looks like you are, from every other sentence in your post that mentions religion. If you don't have anything nice to say about religion, keep in mind that jojobean's rather excellent quote from MLK was religious.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:57 am

stumbling_forward wrote:
jojobean wrote:

I'm flattered by your statement. You just described my favorite type of people, those who are simultaneously "profane and profound." I still boldly claim my own hypocrisy. At the very least, in my opinion, I'm aware of it. That's got to mean something.

Regards to all.

brazen honesty does count for alot in my book, btw, your welcome. :wink:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 1:48 am

SteffiTheSmile wrote:
The bible doesn't even say anything about gay women. Also, the thing in the bible which says "men, shouldn't sleep with other men", is thought to be a mistranslation of "older men, shouldn't sleep with younger men".

the bible does not reflect beliefs of early Christians, in fact, the oldest manuscript of the bible is carbon dated to 9th century CE. In fact, early christians believed in reincarnation, there are some traces of it in the bible.
Much of the bible altered christianity from its origional form during the dark and middle ages by the church for mass mind control.
However, the earliest manuscripts from that time are found in the dead sea scrolls, which are carbon dated from the 1st century BCE to 2nd century CE. It does has some facinating insights into Jesus, the man, which by the way, has been declared heresy by the church.

Jojo

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:39 pm

jojobean wrote:
the oldest manuscript of the bible is carbon dated to 9th century CE.

The Codex Sinaiticus is from the 4th century, and has a complete copy of the NT. There are numerous fragments from earlier than that.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:23 pm

Humans are flawed, imperfect creatures.

Forgive them for being flawed and imperfect, and then forgive yourself for being flawed and imperfect.

Hatred towards the non-heteronormative members of society is just one more manifestation of people rejecting anyone who isn't in their "tribe." If it isn't homosexuality and transsexualism, then it will be some other arbitrary trait that will define "us verses them."

As for hetero-supremacy, I've never seen a homo/transphobic viewpoint that wasn't highly emotional and rooted in superstition. I've never come across a SECULAR argument against gay marriage that didn't crumble under scrutiny. This indicates that this kind of crap is a ephemeral cultural vagary that will go *poof* once the Old Guard dies off.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
The ignorant ones that is. Who deny that transgenderism is real, and deny that females have feelings for females, and males have feelings for males.

I don't understand what they can't accept about that? It's just pure ignorance! I for one, blame religion. If there was no religion, there would be none of this. People are only homophobic because of the so called stories in the Christianity bible, and then people have been brain fed this information.

Can you honestly blame so many LGBT's for being Atheist? Fair play if you are still religious and LGBT, but I don't see the point.

I am not hating on religion by the way. I just f*cking hate some religious people for the way they go about things when it comes to LGBT politics.

I wouldn't say hetrosexuals, I would say people.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2012, 2:10 pm

NO H8

remember?