Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 8:17 am

http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory66.html

Quote:
Calling for President Bush’s impeachment surely sounds seditious to many conservative partisans of the administration and its "war on terrorism."

As they apparently see it, during the relative peacetime of the late 1990s, calling for the impeachment of a Democrat for lying about the whereabouts of his private parts was a public service. But during wartime, to call for the impeachment of a Republican for one of the greatest of all political crimes – that is, the war – is branded treason, or, at best, ridiculed as hysterical anti-American defeatism or simply juvenile white noise.

This reveals a major problem with the American political system: That most worthy of being condemned is upheld and protected from criticism. Wartime gives the president all sorts of new power levers, privileges and potential to wreak havoc. It also shields him against the normal etiquette of political dissent and exempts him from the standard logistics of checks and balances. When it is absolutely most necessary that the president be questioned, challenged and constrained, he gets free rein. The Democrats showed no credible opposition to Bush’s foreign policy in the last election, and they certainly can’t be trusted to hold the president accountable for the atrocious wars in the Middle East.

For the Iraq war alone, George W. Bush should be impeached. It won’t happen, of course. The Republican legislators so concerned about presidential honesty as it concerned a stained dress back in the late 1990s seem to care nothing of the distortions, deceptions and lies of the Bush administration that have led to and obscured much more heinous stains – bloodstains – upon the clothing of 1,500 dead American troops, thousands more wounded, not to mention tens of thousands of dead and maimed Iraqis.

This article raises an important point, and that is if Clinton can be impeached for lying about sex why can't Bush be impeached for lying about WMD and his other justifications for war? At least Clinton's lie didn't result in the deaths of thousands of innocent people. :x

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 1:06 pm

The problem with impeachment is that it requires a majority vote in the House of Representatives to start a trial and a super majority vote (2/3 of members) in the senate to actually remove a president from office.

Clinton was impeached because he lost control of congress during his 2nd term. The House of Representitives majority was republican and of course voted on party lines. When the trial ensued, even though the Senate was controlled by Republicans, they did not have the 2/3 majority necessary to actually remove President Clinton.

In this case, because the president is a republican and the majority in both houses of congress are republicans, I would doubt that the case would go beyond the House of Representitives. Even if it got out of the Judicial Committee (which I doubt very much), there would be a party line vote and the effort would fail.

You also have to realize that although 3 presidents have been brought into the impeachment process (Andrews, Nixon, & Clinton), none have actually been removed from office (Andrews and Clinton were voted down in the Senate and Nixon resigned).

Besides, even if by some odd chance (the lottery can be won too) that Bush was removed from office, according to the Constitution, Dick Cheney would take over.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 1:14 pm

Let's skip the red tape and throw him in JAIL.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 1:23 pm

But President Bush cannot be tried with a crime while in office except through impeachment proceedings. This was a Supreme Court ruling during Watergate. That is why Clinton was not removed from the bar until after he left office.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 3:26 pm

Psychlone wrote:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory66.html

Quote:
Calling for President Bush’s impeachment surely sounds seditious to many conservative partisans of the administration and its "war on terrorism."

As they apparently see it, during the relative peacetime of the late 1990s, calling for the impeachment of a Democrat for lying about the whereabouts of his private parts was a public service. But during wartime, to call for the impeachment of a Republican for one of the greatest of all political crimes – that is, the war – is branded treason, or, at best, ridiculed as hysterical anti-American defeatism or simply juvenile white noise.

This reveals a major problem with the American political system: That most worthy of being condemned is upheld and protected from criticism. Wartime gives the president all sorts of new power levers, privileges and potential to wreak havoc. It also shields him against the normal etiquette of political dissent and exempts him from the standard logistics of checks and balances. When it is absolutely most necessary that the president be questioned, challenged and constrained, he gets free rein. The Democrats showed no credible opposition to Bush’s foreign policy in the last election, and they certainly can’t be trusted to hold the president accountable for the atrocious wars in the Middle East.

For the Iraq war alone, George W. Bush should be impeached. It won’t happen, of course. The Republican legislators so concerned about presidential honesty as it concerned a stained dress back in the late 1990s seem to care nothing of the distortions, deceptions and lies of the Bush administration that have led to and obscured much more heinous stains – bloodstains – upon the clothing of 1,500 dead American troops, thousands more wounded, not to mention tens of thousands of dead and maimed Iraqis.

This article raises an important point, and that is if Clinton can be impeached for lying about sex why can't Bush be impeached for lying about WMD and his other justifications for war? At least Clinton's lie didn't result in the deaths of thousands of innocent people. :x

I Agree Fully, IMPEACH THAT BASTARD AND BRING OUR MEN HOME ALIVE!! !! ! :x

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 5:40 pm

OK, I give. All I am going to say is that President Bush will not be subject to any impeachment proceedings. Simple as that.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 7:27 pm

Bush should be sent to the World Court at The Hague to stand trial for crimes against humanity. (he can join his friend Sadaam)

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 7:39 pm

ed wrote:
Bush should be sent to the World Court at The Hague to stand trial for crimes against humanity. (he can join his friend Sadaam)

Hear, Hear!

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2005, 11:16 pm

I love that people wanted to impeach Clinton for lying about his...umm...Lewinsky thing, which was his personal business. But when Bush's lie causes thousands of American soldiers to die, 51% of the US considers him an honourable man. :x

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 9:33 am

I'll Be Blunt, Gerorge Bush and Saddam Hussein should be put on trial side by side BOTH for crimes against humanity

coffeenogrumpy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2005, 10:04 am

he's just a liar..
hi cohort rove should be prosecuted also!! !! !!

edited to add: well that's because the lies that got him into office should be a crime