Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 8:28 pm

I initially created this post on another mental health forum to increase my chances of getting responses, so if you see this post on that forum you'll know why.

Now, onto the problem at hand:

A little background - I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, depression, GAD and OCD. I have been prescribed Xanax (for anxiety), Lexapro (for depression/OCD) and Risperidone (for suicidal/homicidal thoughts and gestures) and I have been taking them as prescribed since I was 14 (I'm turning 22 in a couple of months). Remarkably, I have had no major side effects from any of my medications and they have all worked wonderfully to treat my mental health conditions.

But for the past several days, my wrists have been feeling really tight, like if I were to bend them at all, they would snap. They used to only get this way whenever I saw something disturbing on TV or the Internet, but now they feel that way constantly. Sometimes they feel so tight that they hurt. I could have sworn that they looked swollen but when I asked my mom about it, she said they weren't. I've also felt like curling up in a ball and screaming for no real reason (no anger, anxiety, etc.) I'm also constantly drowsy/dream-like even though I've been getting the same amount of sleep as I always have, and I'm starting to forget to eat when I'm hungry, when normally I pig out on food all day.

I don't know if this is related, but I have recently been trying self-hypnosis as a coping skill. I found that I am pretty susceptible to its effects, and I worry that maybe I have accidentally caused myself to enter an altered state of consciousness. I have also been struggling inside for the past couple of months because my favorite special interest has been coming to an end and no amount of advice from any of my loved ones has been able to console me. (That's the reason why I started trying self-hypnosis in the first place.)

I know there are a lot of factors at play here, but does anyone have even the slightest idea of what could be causing me to feel this way? I don't see my psychiatrist for another month and I'd like to have some kind of idea of what might be going on, especially since my mom is worried about me.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm

When I get overloaded - either by emotions, cognitive overload or sensory overload I get that spaced out feeling you describe. I also get that feeling when my visual snow is extra bad.

I consider that spaced out feeling a shutdown. As for your wrist issues, I get that as well, in short spans, but not just in my wrists, also ankles and hips. Not sure what it is and in the end docs look at me like I am nuts. I feel like my tendons or muscles have contracted really tight.

I have a ton of sensory issues - maybe you are having them and not realizing... I spent years not understanding what was happening. Try crawling under something heavy, like a twin mattress, just be sure to leave your head sticking out. How does your body feel? Does it heave a sigh of relief? If it does you are likely having some sort of sensory issues.

Do you have visual snow at all? Close your eyes and what do you see in the dark of your closed eyes? Any light bursts or "snow"? Like static on a tv channel with no station? That gets me no end over the spaced out feeling and causes me to get severe fatigue and very tired in my eyes.

Sorry I don't have any solid answers for you.

Oh.... Aspies can be extra sensitive to Medications or become intolerant of meds if the dose is not right as well.