Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ItsJustAmber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2012, 6:23 am

Hello everyone this is my first time over in this forum:) I just wanted to ask if anyone has ptsd as well as AS? I am pretty sure I have PTSD and have been questioning whether I am an aspie as well.
Any input would be appreciated and feel free to pm me if you need someone to talk to.

::Amber::

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

I don't know if I have PTSD, but I have a trauma.
Since nearly two years now.

It's getting better since a fiew months, but I still have it.
Every day...!

Last edited by Raziel on 23 Aug 2012, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonFireWalker
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

I am an HFA woman with PTSD (complex). Its not fun to deal with, esp when you have so many other co-morbid conditions.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 12:02 am

Very possible. Two types of PTSD that I am aware of.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

Yeah...and it sucks.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2012, 3:31 pm

yes.

LogiXYZ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

I couldn't say for sure that I have PTSD, but I certainly think I might after a very troubling childhood. Also I'm diagnoses with AS.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 2:54 am

I thought about it very long now what I exactly have.

I allready wrote about it in another thread.

I developed traumatic symptoms after staying in a locked up section for two weeks against my will in a psychiatric hospital. I have claustrophobia and noone believed me. But I continued staying ambulant in that hospital for another two years after that.
In this time I showed clearly traumatic symptoms, like emotional outbursts when somethings remindet me on the trauma, irritability, fear and so on. I also showed highly ambivalent feelings towards the people who work there. I didn't show those symptoms in normal life and all those symptoms startet with the trauma.

Now, not being there anymore since one week. I have far less fear and my emotional meltdowns and so on are nearly gone. But I still have some fear left towards that psychiatric hospital. But I'm very glad, that I don't have to go there anymore, not even ambulant. :mrgreen:

I also toled my friends about my fear and so on and noone understood why I kept staying there ambulant afterwards.

I think now, afterwards, that I have/had some form of Stockholm-Syndrome with PTSD-symptoms.
I can't explaim me my behaviour any better.

I'm not like that in normal life, the behaviour was clearly attachet to the trauma and got better after leaving there.
Now just some fear is left and I still think about the trauma a lot. Most other symptoms are gone. :D

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

As complicated as this sounds, I suspect that I have AS, and have PTSD as a result of being raised by two parents who also have AS. I'm terrified of my mother. I become physically nauseous and get a stomach ache just thinking about her. I have constant sleep problems because I cannot stop my negative thought loops that are in direct reference to the psychological torment that she put me through. I constantly have nightmares about her behavior, and I have irrational fears and paranoia's in my day to day life. For example, someone was dropping off a package at my door, and I came very close to picking up my son and hiding him in a closet because I believed that this delivery man was actually a hit-man that my mother hired to kill me.

Ugh, I'm actually on my way to speak to my GP about all of this in a little while. It's impossible to try to sort this mess out on my own!

Chaos23
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2012, 5:47 pm

They might be comorbit but you should take in consideration some other things too, like: behaviour during early years, when the traumatic events occured, did the traumatic events changed something about you or were you different in some way and that attracted the unhappy events to occur?

I'm sure many people confuse Aspergers with PTSD.

sudowoodo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2012, 7:59 am

I have AS and PTSD, along with several other disorders.

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2012, 5:25 am

Yes.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

Yep, C-PTSD here, among other things.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

Chaos23 wrote:
They might be comorbit but you should take in consideration some other things too, like: behaviour during early years, when the traumatic events occured, did the traumatic events changed something about you or were you different in some way and that attracted the unhappy events to occur?

I'm sure many people confuse Aspergers with PTSD.

I don't see how, one is something you're born with and one is something that can develop after a traumatic event. Though there are some similar symptoms with both disorders...I personally think its possible AS could increase ones risk for PTSD but not entirely sure.

FlintsDoorknob

24 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

I think I have PTSD but it hasn't been diagnosed yet. I was stuck in an abusive group home for about 7 months and exposed to a lot of trauma there. I haven't been able to find proper help yet.

Paiz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2012, 3:37 pm

How can I tell if I have PTSD?
I had a really neglectful and often psychologically abusive mother (dad was ok). I have flashbacks to her screaming at family members. I also have a flashback from when I was 5 or 6- I tried to hurt someone. Would I have given myself PTSD? Is that possible?