Page 109 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 154  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 May 2017, 3:25 pm

If you die while working for Google, they give 50% of your pay to your partner for 10 years, as well as a $1,000 a month to your children until they’re 19. Though it’s a no-win situation for Google, they feel it is the right thing to do, because “it’s better to work for a company who cares about you than a company who doesn’t. And from a company standpoint, that makes it better to care than not to care.”

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 4:16 pm

A musk-ox ave. about 8ft. long but is only 4ft. high.

Long and low. :lol:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 1:26 am

^^musk-ox
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Bovidae
Subfamily: Caprinae
Genus: Ovibos
Blainville, 1816

related somewhat, but not in english translation; moeflon (Ovis orientalis)
the goatlike-looking wild sheep while the first is a sheeplike goat
Rijk: Animalia (Dieren)
Stam: Chordata (Chordadieren)
Klasse: Mammalia (Zoogdieren)
Orde: Artiodactyla (Evenhoevigen)
Familie: Bovidae (Holhoornigen)
Onderfamilie: Bokken of geitachtigen (Caprinae)
Geslacht: Ovis (Schapen)

closeness between sheep and goat, but the goat's needs are more cowlike, take care!
the retail-advisors tell you to put them on sheepdiet, which is wrong: goats need copper, which is toxic for sheep!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 1:20 pm

During the making of first The Blues Brothers movie, there was a special budget just for cocaine.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 4:09 pm

Acc. to the CEO of D'Marie the Karda$hian family members are paid between....... $75 000USD and $300 000USD........... for EACH 8O post they make on the various Social Media platforms.

Naturally, they each make several per day on ave.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 7:41 pm

Thousands of years ago, pigs were used to battle enemy elephants. War elephants were a popular weapon until ancient armies took advantage of the legend that they feared pigs’ squeals. The ‘war pigs’ were covered in pitch, lit on fire, and sent squealing towards their opponents, which reportedly stampeded away. It’s unclear whether they were running from the pigs or the fire, but they killed a lot of their own soldiers by trampling over them.

DerpMC
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2017, 12:55 pm

The first Burger King opened in Miami, Florida, on December 4th, 1954. It's predecessor was Insta-Burger King, which open in Jacksonville, Florida, in 1953.

Robert Murphy ~ 2016

Quote:
Wanna see what destruction looks like? Here it is in human form - it's your boy DerpMC!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 2:01 pm

Crows love to pull tails. It’s a strategy they use to distract an animal from eating so they can steal its food, but they’ve also been known to do it just for fun.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 2:14 pm

Fish can drown.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 12:17 pm

A cup of brewed coffee has more caffeine than a shot of espresso. Since 1 ounce of espresso contains at least 2x the caffeine as an ounce of drip coffee, people often think they’re getting more caffeine with an espresso shot- but you can actually get double the caffeine of an espresso shot by drinking a regular cup of coffee, because you end up consuming a greater volume of it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 9:39 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Fish can drown.

How so?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 3:30 pm

Christopher Columbus never even set foot in America. Not only was he not the first European to visit the Americas, he also never reached any part of the mainland United States. On October 12, 1492, the date for which Columbus Day is based, he actually hit land in what is now the Bahamas and then continued exploring the coasts of Central and South America.

It’s suggested that the idea of Columbus ‘discovering’ America came about after the Revolutionary War, when John Cabot 'discovered’ America in England’s name, and the colonists didn’t want to give credit to the country they’d fought so hard to be free from- so they chose Columbus as their hero instead.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 7:04 pm

Both continents are called "America". Not just the subset of North America that is the USA.

But that's true that Columbus never set foot in what is now the USA. And that's probably true that the Revolutionary War victors didn't want to identify with a Brit like John Cabot (who like Columbus was really an Italian). But Canada remained loyal to the British Crown (to this day), and that didn't stop them from naming one of their provinces "British Columbia" (and not "Cabottia").

The Americas in turn were named after "Amerigo Vespucci", an explorer on the heels of Columbus who sailed down the south American coast and mapped what he thought was an enlongated island that was actually a piece of the coast of Brazil. The very first map to have the word "America" on it was printed soon after as a label for that newly discovered "island". Vespucci wrongly got credited for being the first guy to see the opposite side of the Atlantic from Europe. Printing was a new technology, and spread the word throughout all of Europe. And then one printer tried to print a retraction that "no it wasn't Amerigo who started this ball rolling, it was this earlier Columbus guy". But it was too late. The name "America"had spread, and was short, catchy, and had a ring. And the name stuck.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 12:49 pm

Fortune cookies aren’t Chinese; they’re from Japan. In China, they’re seen as American food, but in Japan, ‘fortune crackers’ were being made as early as the 1840s- long before their popularity in America. It’s thought that they are tied to Chinese-owned businesses in the US because they made more of them during WWII, while many Japanese-owned bakeries had to close as their owners were sent off to internment camps.

NathanBros
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2017, 9:33 pm

Movie trailers were originally shown after the movie, which is why they were called “trailers”.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 10:51 pm

At one time, the RCC burned parents at the stake for teaching their child(ren) the Lord's Prayer in English.

Thus manifesting the love and tender-mercies of God, at least I assume that was their sole motivation.

Further, even possession of the Bible in English was consider a grievous offense.

They loved their Latin!