Page 127 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 154  Next

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 7:12 am

When Cleopatra first saw the pyramids of Egypt, they were already 3,000 years old.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 7:26 am

equestriatola wrote:
The phrase ‘Ye Olde’ is fairly new- but you’re saying it wrong. In the late 1800s, businesses used it to sound ‘old timey,’ but the 'ye’ is actually pronounced 'the.’ The confusion comes from an old letter for 'th’ that eventually started being written as a 'y.’ At first, everyone knew the 'y’ was a 'th,’ but over time, the word was confused with the old version of 'you,’ like what’s used in the Bible and 'O Come, All Ye Faithful,’ so people just started pronouncing it 'ye’ instead.

This originates with the very first printing presses, the Gutenberg presses, in the 1400's. The letter/rune "th" (ᚦ) still existed in England, but not in Germany, so the Germans had to improvise and used Y as a replacement when printing works in English.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 7:42 am

I don't know, I'm no native English speaker, but the letter mentioned has found its way into the Unicode where its name is given to be 'ƿynn' or 'ƿen' or 'wen' and said to represent the sound /w/.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 9:05 am

^^ Thorn (þ) and wynn (ƿ) are two separate characters representing different sounds. The "th" sound was also often represented with the "eth" character (ð). There's a good summary of Old English orthography on the Wikipedia page.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 9:12 am

^^ I knew I had it wrong one way or the other. Thanks for correcting me.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Apr 2018, 12:45 pm

George Washington didn’t have wooden teeth. They were made of bone, hippopotamus ivory, human teeth, lead, brass screws, and gold metal wire- but not wood. There is only surviving one full set of the many dentures he wore throughout his life today.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm

Black bears (Ursus americanus) are omnivorous. In the Smoky and Shenandoah Mountain area, their total annual energy is acquired primarily from acorns (around 67%) and Bear Corn/American Cancer root (Conopholis americana) (around 16%).

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 2:01 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
The "th" sound was also often represented with the "eth" character (ð).

"Thorn" is voiced and "Eth" is unvoiced.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 2:15 pm

^ Ah, ðanks. With my interest in linguistics, I ðink þat I really should get around to learning þe phonetic alphabet some time! :D

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 5:29 pm

I þink it was ðe oðer way round. Not ðat ðey’ve ever been used like ðis in English. Eð fell out of use early on, when ðe voiced and voiceless sounds were in complementary distribution, meaning ðey were instantiations of ðe same phoneme, so speakers felt no more need to distinguish ðem ðan we do today between ðe bilabial m in mask and ðe labiodental one in amphitheatre. By ðe way, were you expecting a þorn ðere? Nay!—it’s a Greek word and ðat th comes from a theta. Anyway, I þink ðeir reïntroduction would þorouhly and mathematically help tidy up English orthography, but, of course, ðat’s what an etymologically obsessed geek like me would say.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 1:06 am

I agree with Spiderpig. Modern Icelandic has those two letters that way.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 11:31 am

Playing Tetris after a traumatic event can help eliminate bad memories. A study of car wreck survivors found that those who played Tetris in the ER had 62% fewer bad memories than those who just wrote down what happened. Their memories also faded more quickly, so it’s believed that Tetris both distracts you from taking pity on yourself, and interferes with the way long-term memories are stored.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 3:21 am

The famous phrase by Oscar Wilde, ‘the love that dare not say its name’, referring to male homosexuality, was not written by him, but by Lord Alfred Douglas, Wilde’s lover.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 12:19 pm

The physical act of passing through a doorway is the reason why you often walk into a room and completely forget what you were doing. Because going through a door signifies the beginning or end of something, this creates an ‘event boundary’ within your mind. Basically, every time you go through a doorway, your brain starts filing away thoughts from your previous location to make room for a new group of memories in the next.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 10:39 pm

That is a great thing to know....thank you!

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 5:38 am

Famous Russian author Dostoyeski died in poverty. One copper kopeka coin was found in his wallet.