Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

I have Schizoid Personality Disorder, so, in my mind, I have a completely different way of thinking than people labeled "NT," as SPD is literally a different way of thinking, which is why people are debating that it is not a "disorder" at all.

But if I have SPD, am I automatically labeled as NT because I am simply not autistic, despite the fact that I am certainly not "neurologically typical" by any means?

Or does neurodiversity go farther than simply being or not being on the Autism Spectrum? (is the Schizophrenic Spectrum merely forgotten?)

Questions the plague my mind

AQ: 36

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 6:16 pm

I think neurotypical means a person who has a "normal" brain. If you have SPD, you are not neurotypical.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 6:16 pm

iceveela wrote:
Or does neurodiversity go farther than simply being or not being on the Autism Spectrum? (is the Schizophrenic Spectrum merely forgotten?)

It depends how you see it.
There is no clear deffinition of the word "NT".
For some NTs are nonautistics, for others NTs are people with no psychiatric diagnosis/disorder/syndrome.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm

I identify as NT, even with my bipolar disorder. I think bipolar is different from autism, in that bipolar is a terrible, horrible disease that I'd rather be without, whereas autism is just another way of being. I had a normal brain before this bipolar disorder started. My brain is relatively normal now with medication.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:54 am

I don't consider bipolar (and other conditions where the brain is not the same) to be NT. My bf is bipolar. He's not aspie like me, but, he was never normal to begin with either (just in another way), even as a child he was cycling even years before he was diagnosed.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:58 am

musicforanna wrote:
even as a child he was cycling even years before he was diagnosed.

Not all people with Bipolar do that.
I first started cycling in puperty.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

Plodder wrote:
I think neurotypical means a person who has a "normal" brain. If you have SPD, you are not neurotypical.

I'd agree with this.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

No, it's exactly what is says on the can. If you have no neurological abnormalities in any way, you are a neurotypical. If your brain is abnormal, you are neurologically atypical.

The autistic community has no monopoly on that word.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 2:52 pm

iceveela wrote:
But if I have SPD, am I automatically labeled as NT because I am simply not autistic, despite the fact that I am certainly not "neurologically typical" by any means?

But, is SPD considered a neurological difference? I was under the impression that personality disorders were considered to be merely psychological differences. SPD I know is something that is thought to develop over time, rather than present at birth.

For me, this post raises the question of how it is determined what conditions are neurological vs. psychological, and whether or not anyone could ever say anything was purely psychological vs. purely neurological. Is there actually a difference? Are psychological characteristics merely the symptoms of various neurological differences?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:32 am

starkid wrote:
For me, this post raises the question of how it is determined what conditions are neurological vs. psychological, and whether or not anyone could ever say anything was purely psychological vs. purely neurological. Is there actually a difference? Are psychological characteristics merely the symptoms of various neurological differences?

I believe that all psychological disorders are at least to some degree neurological.
Even PTSD, it changes something in your brainchemistry.
But what's about the brainchistry for example?
Is this psychological or just neurological?
I believe that there is no clear cut.

Personality disorders are genetic upto a certain degree and this shows that it has to do something how the brain is working in the first place. Also that it those personality traits stay for decates most of the time and not just a fiew months.